Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I have at least two editions of Smith. He should be required reading for older airgun enthusiasts. But don’t rely on his views 100%. He was just a man trying his best at writing a book in an empty field and doing well. Same goes for Wesley. You should read the books, but take some elements with a pinch of hindsight.

For the Webley MkIII, button rifling was introduced in 1969.

As I’ve posted on here before, BTDT’s SAR magazine tested an older .177” MkIII Supertarget in around 1984, and got 22 yard groups as low as 0.30” with Wasps and three other pellets all under 0.5”. On or very near a par with then modern rifles like the FWB Sport. As the Supertarget was introduced in ‘63, the test rifle could have had either type of rifling. My gut feeling is that it doesn’t matter and they had come across a particularly good example of the ST.
I agree but much rings true with Smith accessments. What you can’t quantify is the joy in shooting the Mark 3. Love the slender walnut stock, just a gem. Similar joy with the BSA Standard just something about it. Wish my Airsporter was the original and not the Mark 2 with the folding sight, just not quite as nice a sight picture? But my old eyes need all the help they can get.