Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What rifles replaced the Webley Mark III in the 70’s?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Personally I like the sound of 90 minutes for rifling but “handmade”? Lol. Collectors can like the MK2 Airsporter because it has one of your desired upgrades, scope rails.

Secured this very rare photo of the Webley Rifling Room before the button technology.

So, that's how they did it! Quite a carefully thought out and intricate process. Thanks for that.

A

Those lamenting the quality of late Webley rifles might be interested in these quotes from an article entitled, “Swedes Home In On The Tracker,” written by Captain Anders Dahlman, published in the February 1991 issue of “Airgun World:”

“While the same brands of air rifles are on the Swedish market as in the UK, almost every Swedish Airgunners goes for the Webleys. In fact, the .22 Webley Tracker deluxe is the number one air rifle over here. Due to poor balance, simple varnished stocks and two-stage triggers, German air rifles are not popular at all. They have not proven to be that reliable, either. At one time a few Swedes bought HW 77’s, HW 80’s and HW 85’s, but most of them have now switched to the Webley Tracker...

Most Swedes consider the Webleys to be superior when it comes to handling qualities, blueing, fit, finish and balance, and I certainly agree...

The Webley Tracker deluxe has proven utterly reliable and accurate in the hands of Swedish airgunners, and is definitely the country’s most popular air rifle. ... At the last FT competition I attended, more that 85% used these air rifles. The remainder had BSA’s or Air Arms, but you could not find one single HW or Diana. Oh yes, some things are the other way around over here!”

Well all just one fellow’s opinions of course, but rather interesting ones! It’s worth noting that walnut-stocked Trackers seem to have been the main choice. By the way Swedish law at the time banned all air rifle hunting, and limited airguns by velocity rather than muzzle energy. The maximum allowed was 200 m/sec or about 660 FPS, which of course favored larger calibers.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 24-10-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Very interesting to read what the Swedes were thinking - I thought there was no contest but suddenly, it seems, some of us have perhaps been too condemnatory of our own products in favour of the German competition. That said and even although they were late in coming, I am very pleased with the Omega and Longbow I bought this year.

I wonder why the Swedes disliked two-stage triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post

I wonder why the Swedes disliked two-stage triggers.
    The article noted that hunting was very popular in Sweden (in fact the author opined that the place was even more heavily-armed than the US, LOL!), and that most centerfire firearm rifles have single-stage triggers. So shooters there tend to go for airguns that mimic their firearms.

In the Germans’ defense, I believe air rifles there usually have two-stage triggers not due to some misguided mixing of sporting and target-shooting design idioms, as the author implies, but because German military and hunting rifles traditionally have two-stage triggers.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 24-10-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Those lamenting the quality of late Webley rifles might be interested in these quotes from an article entitled, “Swedes Home In On The Tracker,” written by Captain Anders Dahlman, published in the February 1991 issue of “Airgun World:”

“While the same brands of air rifles are on the Swedish market as in the UK, almost every Swedish Airgunners goes for the Webleys. In fact, the .22 Webley Tracker deluxe is the number one air rifle over here. Due to poor balance, simple varnished stocks and two-stage triggers, German air rifles are not popular at all. They have not proven to be that reliable, either. At one time a few Swedes bought HW 77’s, HW 80’s and HW 85’s, but most of them have now switched to the Webley Tracker...

Most Swedes consider the Webleys to be superior when it comes to handling qualities, blueing, fit, finish and balance, and I certainly agree...

The Webley Tracker deluxe has proven utterly reliable and accurate in the hands of Swedish airgunners, and is definitely the country’s most popular air rifle. ... At the last FT competition I attended, more that 85% used these air rifles. The remainder had BSA’s or Air Arms, but you could not find one single HW or Diana. Oh yes, some things are the other way around over here!”

Well all just one fellow’s opinions of course, but rather interesting ones! It’s worth noting that walnut-stocked Trackers seem to have been the main choice. By the way Swedish law at the time banned all air rifle hunting, and limited airguns by velocity rather than muzzle energy. The maximum allowed was 200 m/sec or about 660 FPS, which of course favored larger calibers.
    As I posted on the other thread:

I'd be interested to hear from Swedes around at the time whether their recollection accords with that of Capn Dahlman.

I wouldn't want to impugn the man's integrity but his report can't have hurt Webley's PR efforts to challenge the dominance of Weihrauch springers. In fact it could almost have been written by Webley... "poor balance, simple varnished stocks and two-stage triggers, German air rifles are not popular at all. They have not proven to be that reliable, either."

Did Dahlman definitely exist?!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Both Mark 3 and Mark 111 are correct !

The rifles have the '3' whereas much of the advertising literature called the rifle the Mark 111. However the handbook that comes with later Mark 3's refers to it as that. No rhyme or reason to it really?
    John Atkins agrees with this and says this artwork was considered by Webley but he's never seen it used:

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.