Hi
After four years my HW100 has developed a leak from the inlet valve so I need to unscrew the end cap. I've looked at various items on the net that use either a 36mm socket or 8mm bar through the probe hole to get the cap off. The end caps at both ends of the cylinder on mine are tight, as in very, very tight. I'd like to get both end caps off and just put them back hand tight so I can get them off easily if I ever need to again. I have a 36mm single hex socket and a length of 8mm silver steel but I think the silver steel is going to bend, or the probe hole distort, before the cap comes loose.

So I need to hold the cylinder by some means very tightly but hopefully without scratching the (I assume) powder coating. HW tuning seem to suggest wrapping the cylinder with tape and holding it in a vice. I know without trying that mine is too tight for that to work without marring the finish. I've tried an oil filter strap wrench on the cylinder and I can generate quite a lot of torque, but it still slips before cracking the end caps loose.

I have a lathe and mill and am about to make a clamp along the lines of a barrel vise as the only way I can see to get this done. Before I do, has anyone got these caps off successfully without scratching the cylinder and if so, by what method?

Thanks