Thread: Is professional tuning worth it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Agree with a lot of commenters here, too many to mention.

To summarise.

If you have the knowledge (now available for free on the internet), skills, insight, and tools, you can tune something yourself up to, and sometimes beyond, what you can buy from a professional. So do it.

If you lack any of those four things, paying someone else to do it who does have them may be a good idea.

Whether that is value for money or what you want is entirely up to you, and an emotional decision as well as a practical one.

Hello to All,

For me, yes and no, and also in-between

It would depend on how you want the finished rifle to shoot like, and also what facilities & skills were available to the user.

For the TX for example, left in 25 mm standard trim, or 25 mm with a reduced stroke, then a good quality drop-in kit or a Mk2 piston + kit, would get you a good way to a nice shooting rifle, for not a great deal of monies.

For such an outcome, the answer would be possibly be a no, though again many tuners go that little bit extra, so it might be a yes.

However, take my Tony Leach 22mm TX conversion for example - yes, it was very much worth it as the rifle is now sublime to shoot - so the answer would be definite yes.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Agree with a lot of commenters here, too many to mention.

To summarise.

If you have the knowledge (now available for free on the internet), skills, insight, and tools, you can tune something yourself up to, and sometimes beyond, what you can buy from a professional. So do it.

If you lack any of those four things, paying someone else to do it who does have them may be a good idea.

Whether that is value for money or what you want is entirely up to you, and an emotional decision as well as a practical one.
    Spot on, personally I would pay someone who has more knowledge than myself. I can do a basic strip, deburr, polish, re-lube and re-assemble. It would be smoother, probably a bit more consistant but unlikely to be a patch on what someone can do with the right knowledge
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Professional Tune

A friend of mine has a venom 77. Over 10 shots it's variation is only 1.8 fps. So worth it? But like mentioned above it's the person pulling the trigger that needs to play their part. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    A friend of mine has a venom 77. Over 10 shots it's variation is only 1.8 fps. So worth it? But like mentioned above it's the person pulling the trigger that needs to play their part. Mach 1.5
    That is consistant !
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

It's very impressive but other than bragging rights it won't offer any real world advantage for most people
    Maybe that sums up the upper echelons of tuning in general?
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo