Is it worth it? Yes.

What does it mean?

I have three home "tuned" rifles. Two BSAs which are from the 1980s. Easy to work on and not hard to get shooting nicer. And a HW77 which all I did was detwang it. Again, relatively easy but nothing ground breaking. Cost was low and not too long to do - although the BSA Mercury was a full rebuild. The comments I have received from other people are very complimentary. An engineer at Bisley was most impressed with my 77. Doing it yourself gives you a connection with the rifle you don't get if someone else does it.

In contrast my other guns have all had the SFS treatment and the difference is notable. Triggers are crisper, the actions even smoother and they are a genuine pleasure to shoot.

That for me is the most important thing: A Pleasure to Shoot.

Ok I had to wait a while for them to be done but that's the rub isn't it. Some things are worth waiting for.

If you spend even more you can go crazy with all sorts of alterations, but I think the saying about "diminishing returns" runs true. There is a point when some things cannot be improved anymore. So it depends on what you are starting with - an 80s HW77 or a BSA Lightning?