Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HW35, a few questions

Pete's not been on for a few hours.

Guess he's skulked off, licking his wounds.

No doubt, once suitable re-energised he'll be back in there with some scathing, cynical counter-attack.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Indeed my friend, as I have one that you certainly don't have, and with providence to boot. For I have Eddie Barber's and Norman May's original prototype HW35 Vixen .177 built around a pre-safety Hoffman variant (the importers that pre-date Hull Cartridge) from May 1977.

For those who don't know, Eddie Barber was the man responsible for launching Airgun World magazine as well as being the other half of the picture regarding The Vixen's development with Norman. After the Vixen, Eddie moved on to develop the AIRGUNAID SP-5 .20 Hunter in conjunction with Don Grey: Eddie was -- and will always be remembered as -- a true Airgunning Legend. RIP Mr Barber.
    ... I also have an almost full tin of Eddie's 'Wart Hog Brand' .20 cal pellets, and although not now (or ever) up for sale, I'll bet these would cost a Bob or two to replace, too, no?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Pete's not been on for a few hours.

Guess he's skulked off, licking his wounds.

No doubt, once suitable re-energised he'll be back in there with some scathing, cynical counter-attack.
    Not in the slightest, I'm a bit bored of this one now, I'm getting a little upset with the complete waste of decent Walnut being carved into chunks of ugliness, I need to go sooth my eyes.

Oh ye beautiful Airsporter, where are thou!

Now, there must be a 99 thread around I can go and wreak havoc in

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Not in the slightest, I'm a bit bored of this one now, I'm getting a little upset with the complete waste of decent Walnut being carved into chunks of ugliness, I need to go sooth my eyes.

Pete
    Most eloquently put, young Pete.

If you struggle to find said thread, just shout up and I'll get one started for you.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Pete
    Have you ever had a go with one? I tried Jon Budd's one and it was astonishingly accurate. It's probably the only air-rifle anyone needs. You can probably pick one up for the price of an Airsporter Mk II.

Indeed my friend, as I have one that you certainly don't have, and with providence to boot. For I have Eddie Barber's and Norman May's original prototype HW35 Vixen .177 built around a pre-safety Hoffman variant (the importers that pre-date Hull Cartridge) from May 1977.
    Its been eating at me for a few days - so I have to ask. What is the difference between the prototype Vixen and a production one? Does it, for example, have the nickel (?) side catch and the word 'VIXEN' engraved in the breech bock?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Pete
    Tis true. The early Airsporters were indeed beautiful rifles. The later ones, well ......

If its a rifle you want to look at you cant go far wrong with an early 'Sporter.

But if its one you want to shoot, with a superb trigger, more than adequate scope rails, .....

ATB
    Ian

Now wheres that '99 thread?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Tis true. The early Airsporters were indeed beautiful rifles. The later ones, well ......

If its a rifle you want to look at you cant go far wrong with an early 'Sporter.

But if its one you want to shoot, with a superb trigger, more than adequate scope rails, .....

[/I]
    Tis' true - the Airsporter Mk 1 with its tapered barrel is very beautiful, and a luxury made when rationing was still in place.

The 35 will knock it into a cocked hat in terms of accuracy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    But I fancy an E version with opens...
    I think I have three up and running and three in bits at present.

Hopefully the next one I build up will be a .22" E with carbine Barrel as my new ratting gun, but I may build my own rotating 30mm piston (as I've already done a 25mm one) for it.
    I've been toying with this idea for a while, by using a bobin shaped piston body with bearings either end and a TX latchrod with 72mm stroke it should give a nice lazy firing cycle.

All the best Mick

Its been eating at me for a few days - so I have to ask. What is the difference between the prototype Vixen and a production one? Does it, for example, have the nickel (?) side catch and the word 'VIXEN' engraved in the breech bock?
    Hi Ian,

It has the chrome release catch and chrome piston etc, and is engraved ‘Eddie Barber. Vixen Prototype May 1977’. It came to me via a shared shooting friend of Eddie’s and mine (pre 1999 Chelmsford villages were still very interconnected and rural), who in turn got it from Eddie’s daughter (who incidentally was a school friend of mine) after Eddie died, so said rifle’s provenance is solid.

It only shoots at around 8ft.lb these days however, but is totally original, so am happy to leave it at that, especially as these days it is only used for 25 yard open sight paper punching. It is a lovely wonderful piece of real-time popularist air gun history and engineering, however, and I love it. Hope this helps?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hi Ian,

It has the chrome release catch and chrome piston etc, and is engraved ‘Eddie Barber. Vixen Prototype May 1977’. It came to me via a shared shooting friend of Eddie’s and mine (pre 1999 Chelmsford villages were still very interconnected and rural), who in turn got it from Eddie’s daughter )who incidentally was a school friend of mine) after Eddie died, so said rifle’s provenance is solid.

It only shoots at around 8ft.lb these days however, but is totally original, so am happy to leave it at that, especially as these days it is only used for 35 yard paper punching. It is a lovely wonderful piece of real-time popularist air gun history and engineering. Hope this helps?
    Oh it sure does. The Omega prototype I own is very basic. Theres not a drop of engraving, no serial number and the stock is a converted Vulcan Deluxe. If it wasn't for its history it would be quite an unassuming air rifle I probably wouldn't give a second glance to.

Thats quite a piece of arigun history you have there.

ATB
    Ian

Oh it sure does. The Omega prototype I own is very basic. Theres not a drop of engraving, no serial number and the stock is a converted Vulcan Deluxe. If it wasn't for its history it would be quite an unassuming air rifle I probably wouldn't give a second glance to.

Thats quite a piece of arigun history you have there.

ATB
    Ian
    Thank you my friend - and I note that in your eagerness to reply you quoted my post before I added my nominal corrections and extra info edits (lol). Atvb: G.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I think I have three up and running and three in bits at present.

Hopefully the next one I build up will be a .22" E with carbine Barrel as my new ratting gun, but I may build my own rotating 30mm piston (as I've already done a 25mm one) for it.
    I've been toying with this idea for a while, by using a bobin shaped piston body with bearings either end and a TX latchrod with 72mm stroke it should give a nice lazy firing cycle.

All the best Mick
    That sounds nice, mate. I’m thinking off sleeving one too, Mick - just in case my life over the next few months doesn’t get hectic enough...
    You going with a CD unit or a modified sear?
    Cheers mate, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    That sounds nice, mate. I’m thinking off sleeving one too, Mick - just in case my life over the next few months doesn’t get hectic enough...
    You going with a CD unit or a modified sear?
    Cheers mate, Craig
    Modified Rekord top sear, Craig.

Altering the Rekord top sear is quicker than relieving the Weihrauch back block to clear the CD rivets, and Rekords are easily available whereas CDs seem to be thin on the ground.

I wouldn't bother sleeving another one down to 25mm --- more trouble tan it's worth.
    Last edited by T 20; 01-11-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Mmmm....Has there ever been so much controversial interest on any other air rifle as per this thread/other about the love/hate relationship of the charmingly ugly HW35?