Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: HW35, a few questions

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    That shot string perfectly shows the lube burning off in the first few shots.

POI will change from one person to another due to hold
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    That shot string perfectly shows the lube burning off in the first few shots.

POI will change from one person to another due to hold
    Yep, and lovely consistency after those first few "clearing" shots.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yep, and lovely consistency after those first few "clearing" shots.
    Good to hear/know. But how come it drops off? Do i need to soak the leather seal in oil to make it swell and seal better? I don't get an smoke out of the barrel so its not dieseling really badly.(it was before, but that might have been due to the initial service I did after about 6 years of no use) I cleaned it again when fitting the Tinbum kit. Its now quite dry.

The best bit is the gun now goes thud and not twang. I'm guessing due to the Tinbum spring guides. Its now really positive.

Will cleaning the barrel affect the power output?

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The power is spot on for the gun, next time you do a chrono string record it and see if it repeats the same pattern.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Scope for HW35

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Spillane View Post
    Dave don't worry about the long post it gives people a lot to work on. As I recall the HW35 was not well suited to a telescopic sight. If you look at the guns profile you will notice a decided droop from the cylinder to the barrel. This was a design feature, God knows why, but unless you use a particular type of scope mount your '35 will always shoot low. The open sights are mounted on the barrel its self therefore are aligned with that rather than the cylinder and will shoot accurately. do not be tempted to over power the gun it was designed around the 7 joule power limitation in Germany and is not suited to go much higher, I had a certain affection for these but they are a Marmite gun.
    I see this is an old thread, but I thought I would add my experience with a .22cal 1978 HW35. It had been in a cupboard for 25 years, so during the Corona virus lockdown, I thought I would give it a service for something to do. Firstly, I had to watch numerous Youtube vids and read forums to familiarise myself with the gun as I haven't picked up a rifle of any type since that time. Tried my hand at a target at 15 metres and it was all over the place. I noticed the breech seal looked a bit pitted so I ordered a new synthetic one which is red in colour and it certainly improved penetration, but not accuracy. So I stripped the piston down, it has a leather seal but looked fine so I cleaned and then regreased everything as shown on youtube and reassembled. It was still erratic. I then purchased an assortment of four brands of pellets and tried them in groups of 5. I found the RWS superdomes to be the most accurate I could now get them in a group within 1.5 inches standing with open sites still at 15 metres.

I have a friend who belongs to a gun club with a large garden. So i went over to his place and we set a target at 25 metres and I could group them at about 50mm with open sites sitting down with a gun rest. He owns a scoped HW100PCP, which he let me have a shot of, it was night and day. I felt to improve I would need a scope.

I purchased a Hawke 3-9 x 40 AO fastmount, and some separate 13mm dovetail mounts, as that's the size the old HW35's require, modern guns I have learned are 11mm or 20mm.

Back to my friends garden range and I can now group them within an inch at 25metres sitting down with scope.
    I find the gun a bit heavy to use standing unsupported. I obviously need some sort of exercise regimen to strengthen my arms. I don't know what the muzzle velocity is I'm going to get it chronographed this week. What should I be able to achieve in terms of grouping all things being equal?

Thanks for reading my blatherings.

Hi, the 35 is as capable as any other spring rifle given a pellet the barrel likes and the power plant being in good condition. Do the chrono check to see how consistent it is. Also remember that you can't rest a spring rifle on a solid object when shooting or Accuracy will be poor. If the power is low it could have a porous breech which some of the older models suffered from. Don't worry though, it is fixable and there are a few threads on here detailing how to do it.

Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hi Ticker; welcome to the forum.

Tips as above.

Most HW35s love the RWS Hobby so well worth giving them a try too.

Take the time to get that practice in and honing your technique; you'll find it so rewarding.

Enjoy your lovely 35.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Still having mental problems I see

Don't worry Dave, just an on going "thing" me and Tony have

The 35 will certainly be good for target practice, just buy yourself a decent rifle and the 35 will make an excellent target

Pete
    My Relum Tornado would protect it..

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker 64 View Post
    What should I be able to achieve in terms of grouping all things being equal?
    All things being equal I would expect the rifle (in 'A1' condition) to be capable of groups around one minute of angle - i.e 1/4inch group at 25yds. Shooting it that well is very far from easy so I would just practice, practice, practice and I'm sure you will see your groups shrink slowly from the current inch.
    I enjoy shooting mine:-)