Thread: HW35, a few questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Lovely guns, the HW35.
    Still having mental problems I see

Don't worry Dave, just an on going "thing" me and Tony have

The 35 will certainly be good for target practice, just buy yourself a decent rifle and the 35 will make an excellent target

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Still having mental problems I see

Don't worry Dave, just an on going "thing" me and Tony have

The 35 will certainly be good for target practice, just buy yourself a decent rifle and the 35 will make an excellent target

Pete
    Lovely guns, the HW35s.

Oops; did I say that already?

Lovely, classic rifles which can still compete favourably with many newer rifles.

Enjoy, Dave; and discount the naysayers' comments.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Great guns the 35 probably my favourite HW break barrel!There's a reason they've been in production for nearly seventy years!

35's will shoot nicely with some work and at reasonable power levels to. A spring guide set would be recommended, but be careful as due to the change from leather piston seal to synthetic, there is a change in stroke (the distance the piston can travel as the spring is compressed and then released). Leather seals have shorter strokes, so standard guide sets might need some trimming off. The older 35's (yours) also have wider scope rails, though they are catered for - look for Sportsmatch 13mm mounts, they will help. Personally, I prefer a gloss finish 3-9x40 scope on my 35 - it fits in with the classic look and gives you all the magnification you need.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    look for Sportsmatch 13mm mounts, they will help. Personally, I prefer a gloss finish 3-9x40 scope on my 35 - it fits in with the classic look and gives you all the magnification you need.
    Thanks for the reply.

Does the 3-9x40 still allow you to use the iron sights ?

Quote Originally Posted by pigeondave View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Does the 3-9x40 still allow you to use the iron sights ?
    Yes, though depending upon the magnification you use (it's worse at the lower magnification) you will get an out of focus 'ghost' of the front sight in you field of view. TBH, I usually shoot mine at x9 mag, so don't see any problems.

The fact your rifle is shooting so high, before you buy a new scope and mounts, run a straight edge from the cylinder body along the barrel, as it sounds like the trigger may have been pulled before the barrel was secure after cocking. If it's out of alignment, you may have to true it up (this can involve a set of soft jaws, and a length of pipe, or a mallet)

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Yes, though depending upon the magnification you use (it's worse at the lower magnification) you will get an out of focus 'ghost' of the front sight in you field of view. TBH, I usually shoot mine at x9 mag, so don't see any problems.

The fact your rifle is shooting so high, before you buy a new scope and mounts, run a straight edge from the cylinder body along the barrel, as it sounds like the trigger may have been pulled before the barrel was secure after cocking. If it's out of alignment, you may have to true it up (this can involve a set of soft jaws, and a length of pipe, or a mallet)
    Regarding the 10" shooting high.

Looking at the scope, it appears that it might have taken a bit of a hit and is bent down towards the barrel. The old man says it was accurate before as he used to hit matches on the back wall of the yard with pellets.

I'm going to see what fits and by the sound of things a VANTAGE 3-9×40 AO might be making its way on the rifle.

I've also contacted TbT and enquired about a drop in kit. I'm also going to contact my local club and see if i can use a chronograph to get it all set up right. The local shop wont give me the gun back if its overpower. legally they can't they say.

So much for not spending any money on it. This is going the same way as skiing and kit cars. I must stop looking at the classifieds.

Hi pigeondave,

HW35 are nice airguns.
    Here my findings.

Introduced in 1950 there then was NO 7,5J power limit for airguns in Germany (as wrongly stated above by Micky Spillane, sorry lad) and the gun does not run best at 7 J but at about 10 to 10,5 Joule.

With abt. ser. no. 613000 in 1976 single sided safety was introduced.

The change from 13 mm rail to 11 mm happened around ser. no. 755000 abt. 1977/1978.

The switch from leather to nylon seals, increase of stroke from 65 to 69 mm and introduction of double sided safety happened with ser. no. 843636 in 1980.

A TbT kit should be a proper investment.
    I'd go for the maxi-kit as this includes an original spring with properly fitting guides. Talk to the owner/seller to have the spring shortened to the a/m power range. Or shorten yourself.

Piston seal is also available there.

Keeping a leather piston seal piston and switching to a todays seal needs an adapter availabe as far as I know from Chambers or Knibbs.

Disassembly, proper clean and degrease, debur and polish and a final regrease with TbT's grease included in the kit shouldn't take too long and would most certainly result in a very nice shooting gun.

Top cream would be a trigger tune (sears polish and proper regrease).

Facing barrel droop a scope could be slightly shimmed or even better get a droop compensating one piece mount.

This is mine wearing a HAWKE Airmax EV 4 - 12 x 40 AO on KONUS one-block).
    It was my first airgun tune five years back. I did the stock too and spent a barrel weight. Initially the internals were a V-MACH kit but after several thousand shots and two broken springs I switched out of interest to a VORTEK HPO kit but had to shorten the spring as running too hot with accuracy down. It's better now but still not as nice as with the first V-Mach kit.

https://picload.org/view/dcdilgrw/p8162166.jpg.html

Hope this helps.
    Happy shooting.

Andy from Austria

Quote Originally Posted by pelletcaster View Post
    A TbT kit should be a proper investment.
    I'd go for the maxi-kit as this includes an original spring with properly fitting guides. Talk to the owner/seller to have the spring shortened to the a/m power range. Or shorten yourself.

Piston seal is also available there.

Keeping a leather piston seal piston and switching to a todays seal needs an adapter availabe as far as I know from Chambers or Knibbs.

Disassembly, proper clean and degrease, debur and polish and a final regrease with TbT's grease included in the kit shouldn't take too long and would most certainly result in a very nice shooting gun.

Top cream would be a trigger tune (sears polish and proper regrease).

Hope this helps.
    Happy shooting.

Andy from Austria
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for all the info. The Chambers site looks very interesting for spares and upgrades.

From memory the ser. no. starts 66XXXX and the rifle has a single sided safety. Interestingly the piston sear lever on our rifle is made of 3 plates. As I get more confident I may look to polish the trigger. It looks like a 3000 wheatstone might be on order.

I was looking at the TbT kit but was a little hesitant as I noted that the spring would need adjusting.

Is it a case of cut and heat the spring to bend it back to a flat bottom and a grind and polish to finish if i were doing the work myself?

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    There's a reason they've been in production for nearly seventy years!
    Yep they've still not sold all of the first batch they made, apparently they're now doing a buy one get the rest free offer

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Mmmmmm.......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Mmmmmm.......
    Don't tell me you're lost for words for once

Pete

If the rifle is shooting 10" high has barrel been bent upwards at some point?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Don't tell me you're lost for words for once

Pete
    Nope, not at all, Petey Boy.

Just being polite.