Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: HW35, a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    UGLY!

Pete

BSA Supersport Custom Lightning .25 ~ BSA Mercury Challenger Lightning .177 ~ 2 x BSA Mercury S .22 ~ BSA Airsporter S carbine .22 ~ BSA Airsporter RB2 carbine .22 ~ 2 x BSA Challenger .22 ~ Air Arms Prosport .177 ~ Air Arms Combat .22.

image.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands

Sorry couldn't help myself
    Same here Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    UGLY!

Sorry couldn't help myself

Pete
    'Beauty is in the eye of the barrel holder.'

Im going to shoot it not it!

[Im sorry but I cannot take anyone who admits to owning a A A Combat seriously when they call something ugly. ]

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

[Im sorry but I cannot take anyone who admits to owning a A A Combat seriously when they call something ugly. ]

ATB
    Ian

Don't be too harsh on Pete --- at least he has one gun with a decent trigger.

And that's only decent because it's a copy of a Rekord.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    What you on about, the AA Combat was the forerunner of other beauties like the Stealth.....I see what you mean

May be I need to hide it in the dark part of the cupboard and say no more about it

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hopefully the next 35 I build up will be a .22" E with carbine Barrel as my new ratting gun, but I may build my own rotating 30mm piston for it.
    I've been toying with this idea for a while, by using a bobin shaped piston body with bearings either end and a TX latchrod with 72mm stroke it should give a nice lazy firing cycle.
    Like this :-

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's well perty, Maestro.

Another benefit, which I'm sure you will have considered already, of such a design will be the ability to use a smaller diameter spring.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

image.jpg

That's just too nice
    I'm actually suffering now.

image.jpg

Mick,

Will the latch rod have to have a ball end (like the LGV) to allow rotation and if so, will you have to cut a rad' in the top sear?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Mick,

Will the latch rod have to have a ball end (like the LGV) to allow rotation and if so, will you have to cut a rad' in the top sear?
    Yes Mark,

I'll be using a MK3TX latchrod and the top sear will be altered like this :-

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I must say I like the HW35 very much, I have four, two are standard Exports with 22 inch barrel. But I also have a Vixen in a delux stock in .177 and a Venom version in .22. I enjoy using them and looking at their classic lines. There are some real beauties on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Another benefit, which I'm sure you will have considered already, of such a design will be the ability to use a smaller diameter spring.
    That's not really a benefit, Tone, it just comes as a consequence of the piston dimensions, the new piston has a 21mm ID so cutting down my choice of springs.

Hopefully there are a few benefits to the new piston though. :-

The tail of the original 35 piston is soft and tends to score on the cylinder, the tail of the new one has a bearing so no scoring and minimal lubrication required.

There is no need to mess about with piston liners on the new piston as it has no cocking lever slot.

With the new piston being able to rotate on firing this should take a bit of pressure off the top hat and guide to provide rotation.

The new piston is coming in at about 10 grams lighter than the old one and there is still room to reduce that even more if needs be --- don't forget this piston is just a quick lash up to see if it's worth doing properly, hence the use of LGV bearings as I had them to hand.

With the new piston having a screw in latchrod the stroke can be easily altered by changing the latchrod length.

All the best Mick

Going to be interesting, Mick.

Sure you'll be okay for springs too; plenty out there with 21mm and less OD.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Checking back through my photo albums it seems I'm following in Wonky Donky's footsteps here as he made a similar rotating piston for a HW80 :-

image.jpg

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....59#post6308359
    Last edited by T 20; 15-11-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Oops!

It appears that I inadvertently boinged that thread back up. Very nice read.

Hope Dave is keeping well.

Bit more of an Update

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Oops!

It appears that I inadvertently boinged that thread back up. Very nice read.

Hope Dave is keeping well.

Me Dave?

Yes I'm good Thanks.

I've fitted my Tinbum kit and the rifle is now making 10.6ft/lb with H&N FTT @14.76grain
    the fps were, for 12 shots

there is a bout 2" of preload on the spring. It was quite a job to get it all together again.
    After we (me and the old man) got it back together, the old man thought that the butt pad for fishing would have probably made the assembly easier.

Quick question

Would 2 people using the same rifle have a different zero?

We are both grouping tight over 20m but my shots seem to be high and to the right (think 1 0'clock) compared to the old man.

Good news is that things are hotting up in the garden plinking cup he won this weekend, I won the first week we shot.

I'm now looking for a HW98 or a HW97KT to joint the HW35.
    With a view to getting it professionally tuned to see what the difference is.
    And maybe a HW100 but that looks like I'll need a lot of additional kit, bottles etc