Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HW35, a few questions

Mmmmmm.......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Mmmmmm.......
    Don't tell me you're lost for words for once

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

If the rifle is shooting 10" high has barrel been bent upwards at some point?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    If the rifle is shooting 10" high has barrel been bent upwards at some point?
    I'm puzzled, my guess would be it's upside down ??????
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Yep they've still not sold all of the first batch they made, apparently they're now doing a buy one get the rest free offer

Pete
    People in glass houses........

But for the success of the HW35 propelling HW forward over the decades AA would probably never have existed with nothing to copy if HW had gone under before the 77 appeared!

A sobering thought!
    Last edited by mrto; 19-10-2018 at 12:02 AM.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    People in glass houses........

But for the success of the HW35 propelling HW forward over the decades AA would probably never have existed with nothing to copy if HW had gone under before the 77 appeared!

A sobering thought!
    Cue Alistair.

And if the Chinese hadn't of produced a certain underlever rifle then HW wouldn't have produced the 77

Also I don't think I've ever seen a hidden underlever rifle in HW's line up.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Don't tell me you're lost for words for once

Pete
    Nope, not at all, Petey Boy.

Just being polite.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Cue Alistair.

And if the Chinese hadn't of produced a certain underlever rifle then HW wouldn't have produced the 77

Also I don't think I've ever seen a hidden underlever rifle in HW's line up.

Pete

Just letting you know the Chinese did not invent the sliding breech.That Accolade goes to Anschutz in the 50's!

Quote Originally Posted by pigeondave View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Does the 3-9x40 still allow you to use the iron sights ?
    Yes, though depending upon the magnification you use (it's worse at the lower magnification) you will get an out of focus 'ghost' of the front sight in you field of view. TBH, I usually shoot mine at x9 mag, so don't see any problems.

The fact your rifle is shooting so high, before you buy a new scope and mounts, run a straight edge from the cylinder body along the barrel, as it sounds like the trigger may have been pulled before the barrel was secure after cocking. If it's out of alignment, you may have to true it up (this can involve a set of soft jaws, and a length of pipe, or a mallet)

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Yes, though depending upon the magnification you use (it's worse at the lower magnification) you will get an out of focus 'ghost' of the front sight in you field of view. TBH, I usually shoot mine at x9 mag, so don't see any problems.

The fact your rifle is shooting so high, before you buy a new scope and mounts, run a straight edge from the cylinder body along the barrel, as it sounds like the trigger may have been pulled before the barrel was secure after cocking. If it's out of alignment, you may have to true it up (this can involve a set of soft jaws, and a length of pipe, or a mallet)
    Regarding the 10" shooting high.

Looking at the scope, it appears that it might have taken a bit of a hit and is bent down towards the barrel. The old man says it was accurate before as he used to hit matches on the back wall of the yard with pellets.

I'm going to see what fits and by the sound of things a VANTAGE 3-9×40 AO might be making its way on the rifle.

I've also contacted TbT and enquired about a drop in kit. I'm also going to contact my local club and see if i can use a chronograph to get it all set up right. The local shop wont give me the gun back if its overpower. legally they can't they say.

So much for not spending any money on it. This is going the same way as skiing and kit cars. I must stop looking at the classifieds.

Update

I wound the adjustment all the way in and rotated the scope 180 deg. It only shoots about an inch high now.

When I concentrate I can get 3 pellets next to each other @16m, they will fit under a thumb nail, so the consistency seems to be there.

Question

Do I need to go AO with the scope if its a 2-7x30 or a 3-9x40

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by pigeondave View Post
    Question

Do I need to go AO with the scope if its a 2-7x30 or a 3-9x40

Need is such a strong word. No you don't, but if you want an AO scope and don't get one you will blame the scope every time you miss.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

By the time you have spent all that money tinkering with it, you would probably have spent enough to buy a new one or not far short

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    By the time you have spent all that money tinkering with it, you would probably have spent enough to buy a new one or not far short

John
    But a new one wouldn't have the family history with it.

Its now fitted with a Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 AO and i can still use the fixed sights.

Also I have now borrowed chrono from a mileoak club member, ive put one pellet through it just to see and it appears that the rifle is doing 11ft/lb. The pellet was weighed and it was only a one off.

I'll do a full test on saturday where i can do a 10 shot string with pellets which all weigh the same and get some averages worked out. Also need to zero the scope.

Sounding good, Dave.

You've got to love a '35.