Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HW35, a few questions

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    You've got to love a '35.
    Not really

But what ever turns you on

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Name one other rifle that fits the Classic and Modern (its still available new after 50+ years) category? A rifle that is STILL competitive amongst todays modern airguns. One with a perfectly good if not one of the best triggers on the market (with a metal trigger blade) . Easily strip able yet built like a brick out house. A rifle which, when used with a weaker main spring, is competitive at 10m because it can take a peep sight and already comes with an interchangeable foresight. Even its standard all metal open sights are some of the best on the market and come as standard. (unlike some guns )
    One rifle that comes in a very mixed variety of stocks including walnut and thumbhole and various metal finishes. A rifle that has a choice of (3?) barrel lengths and the two main calibres.
    Tell me and I will go and buy one.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Ian aka I. J. my fine fellow. Unless you have a second rack of HW35 variants (and knowing your good self, let's not rule that one out ), going by the photo as above, you don't appear to have an example of an HW35 wearing the archetypical beech-stocked ball-end pistol grip style of stock? How can this be? It's a travesty! How very dare you?

You see, for reasons of nostalgia, the laquered beech-stocked ball-end pistol grip style of HW35 stock is among my very VERY favourite -- although it must also be said though, that nostalgia just isn't what it used to be?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth aka 'My school day chum'. Of course Ive got a B B deluxe and it is in the second rack. The above photo was just a small selection of my '35s.

Plus

Along with this:https://i.imgur.com/ifXx87L.jpg

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 28-10-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

Gareth aka 'My school day chum'. Of course Ive got a B B deluxe and it is in the second rack. The above photo was just a small selection of my '35s.

Along with this:https://i.imgur.com/ifXx87L.jpg

ATB
    Ian
    Lol. I did not doubt you for so much as a single second: beauties all.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

put 12 through the chrono and its saying average 536fps i was using 14.76 grain pellets (min527, max545, dv18, sv5)

I think i might have got the 11ft/lb from transposing the numbers in my excitement

So i looks like im down at 9 something ft/lbs

As it needs a better spring guide anyway i might as well do the tinbum tuning thing, also i now have a borrowed chrono so i can set it correctly rather than guessing really low.

Name one other rifle that fits the Classic and Modern (its still available new after 50+ years) category? A rifle that is STILL competitive amongst todays modern airguns. One with a perfectly good if not one of the best triggers on the market (with a metal trigger blade) . Easily strip able yet built like a brick out house. A rifle which, when used with a weaker main spring, is competitive at 10m because it can take a peep sight and already comes with an interchangeable foresight. Even its standard all metal open sights are some of the best on the market and come as standard. (unlike some guns )
    One rifle that comes in a very mixed variety of stocks including walnut and thumbhole and various metal finishes. A rifle that has a choice of (3?) barrel lengths and the two main calibres.
    Tell me and I will go and buy one.

Thanks for the more than well spoken comment and the impressive pictures.
    I'm left nearly speechless and envy with just one HW35 though my first airgun.

Oh another feature I had forgot - left hand stocks in Export and Deluxe.

Oh another feature I had forgot - left hand stocks in Export and Deluxe.
    Show off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Show off.
    Just defending the '35.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Just defending the '35.
    Sorry to have to say but it doesn't matter how much fancy wood you chuck at it and how many variants they bring out, it's still fugly.

Yes I agree that it is an iconic rifle with a good trigger and has a massive following but it's that barrel catch and that gouge taken out of the stock that just lets it down.

I know I'm probably the only person on here who hates them (I think Nick may be loitering in the same camp as me) but I'm sure there's a lot more people on here who hate the BSA's I love.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Mmmm...Are these 35's robust enough to prop open my garage door on windy days, or just a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Mmmm...Are these 35's robust enough to prop open my garage door on windy days, or just a myth?
    Then you require the Export with the 22" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Sorry to have to say but it doesn't matter how much fancy wood you chuck at it and how many variants they bring out, it's still fugly.

Yes I agree that it is an iconic rifle with a good trigger and has a massive following but it's that barrel catch and that gouge taken out of the stock that just lets it down.

I know I'm probably the only person on here who hates them (I think Nick may be loitering in the same camp as me) but I'm sure there's a lot more people on here who hate the BSA's I love.

Pete
    BSAs are O.K. ish, or can I call them 'El BSA Oh' (as my Spanish isn't so good). I have a few of the older ones (Club., Airsporter, Mercury, Ss etc) , but oooohhh that trigger. The phrase 'Bog door latch' spring to my mind and BSAs later attempts at a 'two stage', well .....

Show my any BSA with this quality of wood.

ATB
    Ian

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Pete
    It's the wooden pencil box type grooves down the sides that get's me.

It was groundbreaking in it's time so the ugliness was easy to over look, and as a collectors piece I can honestly see the appeal! But times have moved on and there is no need for new ones to be made.
    I think it's time to gently and quietly allow it to become out of stock and used the manufacturing costs saved to try and develop a 99 that doesn't destroy itself.
    God rest ye jelly mental men