Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HW35, a few questions

Micky Spillane is offline reports of my death have been greatly exagerated
    Best thread of good natured banter I've been on for a long time. Thanks for letting me throw in my two pennyworth.
    Drink good English Bitter beer and shoot safe,
    Micky Spillane

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Spillane View Post
    Best thread of good natured banter I've been on for a long time. Thanks for letting me throw in my two pennyworth.
    Please do feel free to chuck even more abuse at these freaks of nature

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Even I sometimes go into my gun room wearing boxing gloves.
    Stop beating yourself up over it (see what I did there with the boxing glove follow on) but I'd have to beat some sense into myself if I had such bad taste (see I did it again) luckily I don't

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Stop beating yourself up over it (see what I did there with the boxing glove follow on) but I'd have to beat some sense into myself if I had such bad taste (see I did it again) luckily I don't

Pete
    Some one who admits to owning a A A Combat shouldn't comment about 'bad taste'
    One day you will get around ( a round - boxing. Get it? ) to owning one of Hermans best. The HW35 in all its variations. A collectors dream with all the stock and barrel variations because even I, with 18 of the beggars, hasn't got them all.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

The HW35 in all its variations (is) a collectors dream with all the stock and barrel variations because even I, with 18 of the beggars, hasn't got them all.
    Indeed my friend, as I have one that you certainly don't have, and with providence to boot. For I have Eddie Barber's and Norman May's original prototype HW35 Vixen .177 built around a pre-safety Hoffman variant (the importers that pre-date Hull Cartridge) from May 1977.

For those who don't know, Eddie Barber was the man responsible for launching Airgun World magazine as well as being the other half of the picture regarding The Vixen's development with Norman. After the Vixen, Eddie moved on to develop the AIRGUNAID SP-5 .20 Hunter in conjunction with Don Grey: Eddie was -- and will always be remembered as -- a true Airgunning Legend. RIP Mr Barber.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Tis true. While I have a few Vixens in both cals. and with various stocks options, I have not got a Vixen prototype. I tried to restrict my '35 collection to rifles that went into production. Limited editions and anniversary models, yes, but from a production run.
    The one I am missing is the HW35 Barrakkuda (sp). The one with ether injection but as it is classed as F.A.C. its out of my reach.

ATB
    Ian

Tis true. While I have a few Vixens in both cals. and with various stocks options, I have not got a Vixen prototype. I tried to restrict my '35 collection to rifles that went into production. Limited editions and anniversary models, yes, but from a production run.x
    The one I am missing is the HW35 Barrakkuda (sp). The one with ether injection but as it is classed as F.A.C. its out of my reach.

ATB
    Ian
    You should do an HW35 article for AGW my friend, as being the iconic air rifle which kick-started the British air gun scene's coming of age (in the face of the lack-lustre U.K. home-grown offering which existed in the late 1950s when the HW35 was launched, the HW35 was like an Exocet missile launcher in comparison ).

For the HW35 was the first truly accurate and powerful production air rifle to hit the British market, and in the late 1950s when it landed, it simply blew all the other pretenders away and heralded the dawn of a bright new air gunning era. Without a doubt, the HW35 was a trail-blazer. Without it I proffer our scene would not have prospered?

HW broke the mould and pushed the envelope yet further twenty years later, when it introduced (first) the HW80, and (later), the HW77. Yep we owe good old Herman an awful lot.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Oh, and btw, mine is not just 'a prototype', but it is 'thee' prototype.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Oh, and btw, mine is not just 'a prototype', but it is 'thee' prototype.
    Couldn't think of a more worthy recipient Gareth.

Regards Neil
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post

Couldn't think of a more worthy recipient Gareth.

Regards Neil
    Thank you my fine fellow. Yes it is one of the most treasured -- and quirky -- in my collection, and knowing it came straight from Eddie's collection in the 1990s to you, then on to me (so has stayed within the CM2 postcode area), makes its ownership even more special. Still remember Eddie bombing up and down our street in his cream coloured MK.II Jaguar: a more interesting and colourful neighbour I could not imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ....as being the iconic air rifle which kick-started the British air gun scene's coming of age (in the face of the lack-lustre U.K. home-grown offering which existed in the late 1950s when the HW35 was launched, the HW35 was like an Exocet missile launcher in comparison ).

For the HW35 was the first truly accurate and powerful production air rifle to hit the British market, and in the late 1950s when it landed, it simply blew all the other pretenders away and heralded the dawn of a bright new air gunning era. Without a doubt, the HW35 was a trail-blazer. Without it I proffer our scene would not have prospered?

HW broke the mould and pushed the envelope yet further twenty years later, when it introduced (first) the HW80, and (later), the HW77. Yep we owe good old Herman an awful lot.
    I couldn't agree more.

With regards to prototypes. I have in my collection the prototype Webley Omega , an Omega and a Vulcan with adjustable gas ram similar to the Theoben range of rifles.

ATB
    Ian

I am revisiting the HW35 after many years, having picked up a 1979 .177 35e last week on a sale or return basis. Off came the scope and in went some Meisterkugeln and i was suprised to be achieving pinkie nail sized groups at 15m , from a seated FT style position, assisted by the very fine front sight element. The rifle feels near factory tight but with smoothness and mild manners. It took about 15 shots to settle down and the smoking to cease. Yes, i rate it.
    As far as 50s era air rifles are concerned, the Diana 35 offers similar power, accuracy and build quality, the early Walthers are probably superior except for power. A good 35 though, with perfected cylinder build, ticks almost every box and with a reassuring hewn from the solid style heft. The barrel lock is far from perfect but i feel it adds something on the range, if not the field.

Micky Spillane is offline reports of my death have been greatly exagerated
    I couldn't agree more.

With regards to prototypes. I have in my collection the prototype Webley Omega , an Omega and a Vulcan with adjustable gas ram similar to the Theoben range of rifles.

ATB
    Ian
    Now you're talking mate Webley made proper guns The .45 revolver for one. Add to that the rifle dad had In the umbrella stand in our old bungalow (prefab) a .303 Short Magazine Lee Enfield No4 Mk 1. No idea what he kept it for, a bit over the top for bunny bashing. Probably to try and keep the Europeans away from our shores!
    Drink good English Bitter beer and shoot safe,
    Micky Spillane

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    That's what I thought, I'm sure Alistair will say he's seen better grained school desk tops

Pete
    I like the Airsporter Carbine, just needs a thorough tune/mod to make it work proper.

People who like HW35s and BSA springers have alot more in common with each other than the PCP only brigade or those that will only buy fancy-pants HW98s or AA TX200s.

They both like a good old robust shootin' iron. Airsporters and 35s are the SMLEs and Kar 98s of the airgun scene.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Some one who admits to owning a A A Combat shouldn't comment about 'bad taste'
    AA Combat - copy a Hammerli, ruin the accuracy and trigger, and put it in an SAS (Special Army Soldiers) stock. Result!