Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: HW35, a few questions

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post

Mmmm....Has there ever been so much controversial interest on any other air rifle as per this thread/other about the love/hate relationship of the charmingly ugly HW35?
    Lol, agreed, as the HW35 truly is a Marmite gun. But as stated at post #67, if it hadn't been for the introduction of the HW35 in the 1950s, the chances are that the ensuing years of air gun development from that day to this may well have been seriously stunted?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Thank you my fine fellow. Yes it is one of the most treasured -- and quirky -- in my collection, and knowing it came straight from Eddie's collection in the 1990s to you, then on to me (so has stayed within the CM2 postcode area), makes its ownership even more special. Still remember Eddie bombing up and down our street in his cream coloured MK.II Jaguar: a more interesting and colourful neighbour I could not imagine.
    Yep I remember a number of hair raising trips in Eddies motors, often V8 powered
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I think I have three up and running and three in bits at present.

Hopefully the next one I build up will be a .22" E with carbine Barrel as my new ratting gun, but I may build my own rotating 30mm piston (as I've already done a 25mm one) for it.
    I've been toying with this idea for a while, by using a bobin shaped piston body with bearings either end and a TX latchrod with 72mm stroke it should give a nice lazy firing cycle.

All the best Mick

Lovely.

Hope it's up and running in time for the next Bash, Mick.

I'd love to zero that in for you too if you don't get the chance.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Modified Rekord top sear, Craig.

Altering the Rekord top sear is quicker than relieving the Weihrauch back block to clear the CD rivets, and Rekords are easily available whereas CDs seem to be thin on the ground.

I wouldn't bother sleeving another one down to 25mm --- more trouble tan it's worth.
    I might have to pop down the A5 to you one of the nights and swap a few ideas...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Mmmm....Has there ever been so much controversial interest on any other air rifle as per this thread/other about the love/hate relationship of the charmingly ugly HW35?

Beauty doesn't bring home the bacon.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Beauty doesn't bring home the bacon.
    Never tried pig hunting with mine but rabbits and pigeons where never a problem

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

and records are easily available whereas CDs seem to be thin on the ground.

:
    Yep, as I understand it, the vinyl revival is still going well, Mick.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Link showing Nigel Allen's fine example. https://youtu.be/5KNKchWMdug

@ Mick

Am I right in remembering that one of yours was running extremely nicely with an 'O' ring piston seal, Uncle Mick?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I might have to pop down the A5 to you one of the nights and swap a few ideas...
    No problem, Craig, and you're well placed to get the custom length TX latchrod made.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Am I right in remembering that one of yours was running extremely nicely with an 'O' ring piston seal, Uncle Mick?
    Yes Tone, my old 1973 HW35 you played with is running a 71mm stroke and O ring piston seal.

Yes Tone, my old 1973 HW35 you played with is running a 71mm stroke and O ring piston seal.
    Ah, yes; that's the one. Cheers, Mick.

And I do remember it being extremely nice to shoot. Sort of quick yet soft and not snappy at all.

And I think I can now also recollect Tinbum stating that it did shoot very sweetly but that he still hated them.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Ah, yes; that's the one. Cheers, Mick.

And I do remember it being extremely nice to shoot. Sort of quick yet soft and not snappy at all.

And I think I can now also recollect Tinbum stating that it did shoot very sweetly but that he still hated them.
    So if these 35 thingy's are supposed to be so damn nice to shoot, why are tuners putting old Airsporter technology into them to improve them

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    So if these 35 thingy's are supposed to be so damn nice to shoot, why are tuners putting old Airsporter technology into them to improve them

Pete
    Because they can, Pete. Nice for those with the ability and equipment to play with different ideas. NickG (and others?) fitted 'O' rings to TXs.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Pete
    I’m doing it as I actually love the stock shape (sorry Mr.Bum).
    I also have a box full of compatible spares that I want to build into an open sighter.

Plus my Mrs will soon be watching I’m a Celebrity and I’ll need something to take me out of the house.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation