Thread: Bisley magnums and ft/lbs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bisley magnums and ft/lbs

I’ve seen it written several times that the pellet of choice for checking you are on the right side of the law is the Bisley magnum, as this is what the police/labs would use to check your gun. I think the suggestion is the heavier pellet can push ME over the limit, more in PCP’s?
    I tested 4 guns tonight one of them a .22 P15 stayed about the same at 11.5, another .22 P15 dropped to just over 10, a .22 Hw95 also dropped to near 10, and a .177 wildacat did the same.

Based on what I have read I wouldn’t have expected that. Anyone else find similar?

Cheers

Longbenton North Tyneside. +Dinnington FTC.

Chronograph readings.

Your findings were that they stayed the same or dropped !!!! but dropped from what ?
    What readings were you getting before, on your normal pellet of choice?

Yeh.
    Bis mags increase some of my guns but decrease in others.
    Might be cos they’re tighter in the barrel.
    Steyr LG110 ft with S111ss 10-50x60lrirmoa. Steyr Hunting 5A , Air Arms TX200 .22
    Air Arms S510 Ultimate Sporter with Hawke sidewinder 6-24x56.

Sorry, my mistake, the pellet I was comparing against was JSB Diablo 15.9 gr.

In my testing I normally find the jsb,s or rws superdomes give the highest power levels but I test with a few different ones and tune to whatever gives the highest power.

If weight was the biggest influence they would be testing with rabbit magnums!

Every barrel is unique which is why we have to pellet test for accuracy,
    It is also why we need to pellet test for the most efficient in any given barrel, because it's the most efficient that will give the highest MV, it might be heavy, light or somewhere in the middle but it will suit your barrel.

I too heard this. But also that it was not true.

I tested 10 different (make and type/weight) pellets in two sub 12ftlb air rifles. I found the data did not support that heavier weight pellets give higher ftlb, nor that Bisley Magnums (or any other make, type or weight of pellet) always gives the highest power. But, that was just two air rifles - MK4is and HW100.