Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to PCP, which rifle?

New to PCP, which rifle?

Evening.

I知 after some advice. I知 fairly new to the air gun world and currently have an HW80k which I知 really enjoying shooting. However, I知 looking at getting a PCP rifle and would appreciate some views on which would be the better rifle to get. My current thinking is that I値l go for either the HW100, HW110 or the AA S410 or S510.

I知 not overly concerned by the price (within reason!) but will need to factor in getting a bottle or pump.

Any opinions and recommendations will be gratefully received!

James.

Personally, out of those choices, I would have the S410 I've had most of the 400 series 400/410/510 and an ultimate sporter, which is a 510 in a dress, I still have my first S400, never owned an HW100 but I have heard they can be pretty good, but have never managed to turn me away from AirArms. Rog

Hi Rog,

I知 open to other suggestions!

You said out of those choices so I assume you壇 choose something else?

James.

You don't say what sort of shooting you do but really an AA S4xx would do absolutely anything you asked of it, well
    People win competitions with standard S400s
    1000s of people hunt with S410s
    They are easy to find used and affordable, reliable, light and accurate
    You wouldn't go wrong with an Air Arms that's for sure
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink」r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

With the AA's you have the choice between traditional bolt 410 or sidelever 510, otherwise much the same so that will be down to which you personally prefer.

Other than that it's down to feel & looks all 4 are good rifles & should be as accurate as each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
    You don't say what sort of shooting you do but really an AA S4xx would do absolutely anything you asked of it, well
    People win competitions with standard S400s
    1000s of people hunt with S410s
    They are easy to find used and affordable, reliable, light and accurate
    You wouldn't go wrong with an Air Arms that's for sure
    Evening Daveo,

Currently my shooting is mainly target practice in my back garden which allows for a maximum safe distance of about 30 metres. My inlaws have a farm though where I can practice and may do some pest control in the future.

I知 leaning towards the S410.

James.

if its AA i would try to find an AAs200c. one of the best i ever bought. good for both targets and hunting. never liked the 400.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Which rifle ?

Any of the ones you listed would be good , I have three S400 rifles myself but if I were looking for something else
    I would have a good look at the Zbroia rifles at around 」600 they come with a reg as standard and people who
    own them seem pleased from what I have read .

Quote Originally Posted by Jalexand View Post
    Evening Daveo,

Currently my shooting is mainly target practice in my back garden which allows for a maximum safe distance of about 30 metres. My inlaws have a farm though where I can practice and may do some pest control in the future.

James.
    The next question is......
    What calibre?
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink」r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Noticed the S200 is getting a mention, nothing wrong with one of them either, calibre, rats or out in the woods .22, target shooting, or distant shooting .177, but if you learn your trajectory, either will do the job, but .177 is easier, hope that helps. Rog

They are all good and it will probably come down to fit.

However for that sort of money check out the daystate regal and bsa r10'while you are in the shop.

If I had to choose one it would be the hw100 though as they are very well built and stupid accurate.

Another vote for HW100 on .177. Avoid the HW 110. and IMHO, the older Weihrauchs seem to be made better in terms of machinng ,etc. so do not be afraid of second hand. Nothing wrong with Air Arms either. Also, as I always say, if you are lucky enough to have a nearby club, visit it. Many of the members will be only to happy to give advice and let you look at and even try their guns, Good luck!

I had a 400 for a while, nice and light, accurate and quiet but I never really liked it much because it just felt a bit flimsy, always thought I might break it.

Never owned a hw100, only shot one a couple of times and while I really don稚 like the styling, form an engineer viewpoint I would pick that over the AA ( not that the AA is badly made) I wouldn稚 get the hw110, there is too many plastic parts for my liking.

Bb

Quote Originally Posted by Jalexand View Post
    Evening Daveo,

James.
    Hi James, I think your leaning in the right direction, especially when you mentioned pest control, as I said I tend to use either an S200 or S410 in .22 for rats and squirrels in the trees (that's the squirrels in the trees) and an S400 in .177 for the longer ranges often involved in rabbit control, I also have an HW80 in .22 which has always given good service, doesn't get used so much these days as is a bit of a lump to carry about, I don't want to appear biased, but I can't help it, S200/S400/S410 if they fit you, you won't go far wrong, and made in England! What's not to like. Rog

If weight is an issue then the S400 series is the one to go for. I have an S410 and an S510 both .22, the side lever action, in my opinion, is definately an improvement.

Another plus point is that they are easy to work on with spares reasonably priced and readily available.