Thread: Scope recomendations on a budget

Scope recomendations on a budget

I have a couple of scopes. A bushnell 4-12 x 40 ao and a hawke varmint 4-10 x 44 sf.
    I find the bushnell clearer and the eye distance not so strict (I can get a clear view through the scope over a wider range of distance with the eye from the scope, if that makes sense).
    The varmint is a 1/2 mildot whereas the bushnell is a cross hair only.
    Thinking I'd like a scope that will give good clarity, have a reasonable eye relief range and not break the bank.
    I'll use it for hft (had my first go last Sunday) as well as general plinking.
    Thinking maybe a non zoom?
    Amy suggestions?
    Last edited by Petest; 18-10-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Hi,
    Unless you are dead set on spending money I would advise taking time to set up your existing 1/2 mildlot scope and practice getting your head/eye position the same for prone, kneeling and standing shots.
    Do you shoot at Bisley? If you really want a new scope and shoot at Bisley ask to look through other members scopes to see what you like before committing cashola!
    Cheers Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hi,
    Unless you are dead set on spending money I would advise taking time to set up your existing 1/2 mildlot scope and practice getting your head/eye position the same for prone, kneeling and standing shots.
    Do you shoot at Bisley? If you really want a new scope and shoot at Bisley ask to look through other members scopes to see what you like before committing cashola!
    Cheers Rich.
    Cheers for the advice Rich and yes I do shoot at BFTO. Only just got 12th signature.

I haven't been up there much recently but am hoping to go a bit more often so may see you there.
    Cheers Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Check out Discovery scopes. Great value!

PeTest,

For HFT, I would stick with the Bushnell.

Mildots, while nice to have, are by no means essential.

With standard cross-hair reticules, you will quickly learn what the various hold-offs look like - only takes a bit of practice.

In the 1970s, my friends and I were very much into 'long' range target shooting - up to 100 yards.

In those days, we only had iron sights, or scopes with plain reticules, but we seemed to do okay

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ