Thread: Ever seen such a poorly mk5 Meteor??!!

Red face Ever seen such a poorly mk5 Meteor??!!

Hi all

I had this poor thing given to me by a friend some time ago, It came from a friend of his wife's who had to clear her recently deceased fathers house, She found it in the wardrobe and was distressed when she saw it so my mate removed it so that she had no need to worry!

The poor thing has I reckon been fired whilst the barrel is fully open, The stock had been in two pieces and glued together badly!, The short cocking links must have snapped as the ones fitted are thin, Mild steel and totally bent (Although it will cock and shoot! ), Other damage includes a busted foresight, The cylinder endcap has been cut down for some reason, There's no rearsight and the breech yoke has been splayed open so the barrel has lateral movement!!

It looks like a Cadet Meteor with these holes in the rear of the cylinder for the peepsight!

I have a stock for a mk5 (Single piece cocking link) but i'm pretty sure that it wouldn't fit due to the longer cocking slot (Wouldn't be worth it either due to the state of the gun!! )

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

I had this poor thing given to me by a friend some time ago, It came from a friend of his wife's who had to clear her recently deceased fathers house, She found it in the wardrobe and was distressed when she saw it so my mate removed it so that she had no need to worry!

The poor thing has I reckon been fired whilst the barrel is fully open, The stock had been in two pieces and glued together badly!, The short cocking links must have snapped as the ones fitted are thin, Mild steel and totally bent (Although it will cock and shoot! ), Other damage includes a busted foresight, The cylinder endcap has been cut down for some reason, There's no rearsight and the breech yoke has been splayed open so the barrel has lateral movement!!

It looks like a Cadet Meteor with these holes in the rear of the cylinder for the peepsight!

I have a stock for a mk5 (Single piece cocking link) but i'm pretty sure that it wouldn't fit due to the longer cocking slot (Wouldn't be worth it either due to the state of the gun!! )

John
    Hi John --single piece cocking link would be a Mk4 or earlier. As your short liks are broken, it might be worth putting the feelers out for a 1 piece arm and use your good stock? I have fitted a Mk5 with am earlier arm and put it in a Supersport stock that I had lengthened the slot on (With a hacksaw!) --but I think you have to open the cocking pivot hole a fraction?
    My guess is the end cap was cut down to try to get the rearsight low enough or to slide the scope backwards.
    With these things though--you often weigh up the cost of the bits and they come to near the same as a complete gun.
    I am sure you will get it up and running.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    My first rifle was a similar meteor in .22, I literally wore it out. When i got it for xmas (best xmas present ever!) you had to push the pellets into the breech. When i sold it 4 years later the same eley wasps would drop a quarter of an inch down the barrel before they touched the sides. I got through a lot of pellets!
    A weekly chore was to squash the barrel jaws in the vice to stop the barrel flopping sideways.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    My first rifle was a similar meteor in .22, I literally wore it out. When i got it for xmas (best xmas present ever!) you had to push the pellets into the breech. When i sold it 4 years later the same eley wasps would drop a quarter of an inch down the barrel before they touched the sides. I got through a lot of pellets!
    A weekly chore was to squash the barrel jaws in the vice to stop the barrel flopping sideways.
    That's what I dislike about the Meteors!

I once squeezed the yoke with the barrel still in place, I squashed it!! Turned out to be a fabricated affair with a gap in between!!

The gap can be seen in this pic of a scrap cyinder!

Not sure if the mk1/2 are made the same or machined from barstock

John

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Think the very early ones had solid breech jaws but not 100% sure. To be honest when they get that bad its scrap bin time.

That's what I dislike about the Meteors!

I once squeezed the yoke with the barrel still in place, I squashed it!! Turned out to be a fabricated affair with a gap in between!!

The gap can be seen in this pic of a scrap cyinder!

Not sure if the mk1/2 are made the same or machined from barstock

John
    Hi John, I’m currently working on a Mk2 meteor & have found the breach jaws to be made the same way, I’m looking at finding a way to keep the jaws from opening out, maybe by using a similar system like Diana use on the 34.
    Regards Graham

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Papa g View Post
    Hi John, I’m currently working on a Mk2 meteor & have found the breach jaws to be made the same way, I’m looking at finding a way to keep the jaws from opening out, maybe by using a similar system like Diana use on the 34.
    Regards Graham
    Hi Graham

I have a Mercury that I think is solid jaws but has had a breech bolt made to fit rather than just a pin that allows lateral movement of the barrel eventually..

The work was carried out by a chap called Ed Bishop if memory serves, I think the bolt came from a Haenel but looks for all the world like a HW part!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Think the very early ones had solid breech jaws but not 100% sure. To be honest when they get that bad its scrap bin time.
    Hi Graham

I have a Mercury that I think is solid jaws but has had a breech bolt made to fit rather than just a pin that allows lateral movement of the barrel eventually..

The work was carried out by a chap called Ed Bishop if memory serves, I think the bolt came from a Haenel but looks for all the world like a HW part!!

H
    John
    I had a similar job done on my Mercury in 1980. Wasn't as neat but did the trick.

Hi John
    I think I have a 1 piece cocking arm for your Meteor,if you decide to refurb the old girl.
    Atb
    Les..