Thread: Ever seen such a poorly mk5 Meteor??!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    My first rifle was a similar meteor in .22, I literally wore it out. When i got it for xmas (best xmas present ever!) you had to push the pellets into the breech. When i sold it 4 years later the same eley wasps would drop a quarter of an inch down the barrel before they touched the sides. I got through a lot of pellets!
    A weekly chore was to squash the barrel jaws in the vice to stop the barrel flopping sideways.
    That's what I dislike about the Meteors!

I once squeezed the yoke with the barrel still in place, I squashed it!! Turned out to be a fabricated affair with a gap in between!!

The gap can be seen in this pic of a scrap cyinder!

Not sure if the mk1/2 are made the same or machined from barstock

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Think the very early ones had solid breech jaws but not 100% sure. To be honest when they get that bad its scrap bin time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    That's what I dislike about the Meteors!

I once squeezed the yoke with the barrel still in place, I squashed it!! Turned out to be a fabricated affair with a gap in between!!

The gap can be seen in this pic of a scrap cyinder!

Not sure if the mk1/2 are made the same or machined from barstock

John
    Hi John, I知 currently working on a Mk2 meteor & have found the breach jaws to be made the same way, I知 looking at finding a way to keep the jaws from opening out, maybe by using a similar system like Diana use on the 34.
    Regards Graham

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Papa g View Post
    Hi John, I知 currently working on a Mk2 meteor & have found the breach jaws to be made the same way, I知 looking at finding a way to keep the jaws from opening out, maybe by using a similar system like Diana use on the 34.
    Regards Graham
    Hi Graham

I have a Mercury that I think is solid jaws but has had a breech bolt made to fit rather than just a pin that allows lateral movement of the barrel eventually..

The work was carried out by a chap called Ed Bishop if memory serves, I think the bolt came from a Haenel but looks for all the world like a HW part!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Think the very early ones had solid breech jaws but not 100% sure. To be honest when they get that bad its scrap bin time.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Graham

I have a Mercury that I think is solid jaws but has had a breech bolt made to fit rather than just a pin that allows lateral movement of the barrel eventually..

The work was carried out by a chap called Ed Bishop if memory serves, I think the bolt came from a Haenel but looks for all the world like a HW part!!

H
    John
    I had a similar job done on my Mercury in 1980. Wasn't as neat but did the trick.

Hi John
    I think I have a 1 piece cocking arm for your Meteor,if you decide to refurb the old girl.
    Atb
    Les..