Thread: Advice on gutting rabbits.

Advice on gutting rabbits.

Hi lads.
    This might sound a silly question coming from me as ive shot rabbits by the thousands, over the years.
    What i have found is if you gut the rabbit quite shortly after shooting by cutting its under side (belly) even if you go a little too deep with the knife you don't puncture the guts, however if you leave all the rabbits till the end of the night when the guts have swollen ( 15+ rabbits)you have to be real real careful as the slightest bit too deep with the knife and the guts are punctured.
    When you are using the rifle and picking up shot rabbits you don't want to be gutting after every shot, on/off with gloves/guts getting on rifle.

What knife are you using, anyone used a roeing knife, ie them with the ball on the end, just wondered if theses might allow you to do all the gutting at the end of the night without busting the guts.

Any advise on the above please.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
    Hi lads.
    This might sound a silly question coming from me as ive shot rabbits by the thousands, over the years.
    What i have found is if you gut the rabbit quite shortly after shooting by cutting its under side (belly) even if you go a little too deep with the knife you don't puncture the guts, however if you leave all the rabbits till the end of the night when the guts have swollen ( 15+ rabbits)you have to be real real careful as the slightest bit too deep with the knife and the guts are punctured.
    When you are using the rifle and picking up shot rabbits you don't want to be gutting after every shot, on/off with gloves/guts getting on rifle.

What knife are you using, anyone used a roeing knife, ie them with the ball on the end, just wondered if theses might allow you to do all the gutting at the end of the night without busting the guts.

Any advise on the above please.

Dave (warbucks)
    You could try push gutting them as you go, quicker and less mess. It's a method that you may be better off trying for the first time on a smaller bunny as push gutting a big buck takes some doing. Hope that helps bud.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    You could try push gutting them as you go, quicker and less mess. It's a method that you may be better off trying for the first time on a smaller bunny as push gutting a big buck takes some doing. Hope that helps bud.

Chris
    Push gutting is quick and no mess but I’ve found every now and again you’ll get one that’s bowels pop inside spoiling the meat so I’ve just started to cut them. I gut as I shoot and carry them in a rucksack as there’s less weight.

Paunch them as soon as you can to avoid spoiling the meat,and don't forget to remove the anal gland.

I carry single side craft razors for the purpose,use once and dispose of after use.

I generally thumb them immediately, if I shoot a single I'll usually carry it until I get a couple more, but if I shoot 2 or 3 from one position I collect, thumb them and skin & gut them then & there.

I always skin first, so that I can see more for the gutting & use a knife with a "gut hook", & pop them in an old bread bag (perfect size) ready to go straight in to the freezer.

I also carry/wear latex rubber gloves to keep my hands clean while skinning/gutting.

the 10-15mins break from the shooting, while prepping them both relaxes me & allows any spooked by the shots to re emerge.

Same as mr bear ,wait till i get a couple then gut them , i use either mora or opinel knifes and latex gloves , sometimes use push method but have found as above that they sometimes rupture using this method
    Best gut them asap to avoid them gassing up ,plus they then stink when you do gut them

Why not file the point off a knife so its rounded/blunt easily done if the blade is carbon steel

with me its jacket off first then guts out, doing it while its still warm i find makes it easier. oven ready and hung on bush in a carrier bag. has to be as my opponents, foxes, will be in like flynn for an easy dinner.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Hi Dave.

There Is more than one way to get the meat off a rabbit. The method I use Is one that I saw on a video a few years ago. The method Is to remove the meat from the top of the rabbit. Therefore not touching the gut cavity at all.

I've sent you a link via message to a video showing this method,

John
    Last edited by luckymjr; 21-10-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

Thanks to every one that posted on this.

Should have said on my opening post ----------if i am shooting and removing the rabbits instead of throwing them in the edge they are going to either a game dealer or butcher, although two that i have supplied over the years have stopped trading just leaving one butcher ATM ------so they have to be still in their fur

Most of you agree that you need to gut them ASAP before the guts swell then there is no fancy knife needed -----and this is what i'll do from now on.
    I have tried the push gut method but seem to struggle to exert enough pressure

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

I pull the fur up away from the gut. Just below the rib cage and make a small incision a then with two fingers pull down to expose the guts.
    Not a fan of the push gut method as it causes too much merriment from my mate!
    Now squirrels are another chapter.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.