Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S10 Reg - Diy Disassembly?

S10 Reg - Diy Disassembly?

Hi, I recently bought a Superten mk2 in urgent need of tlc.
    Yesterday I was off: disassembled it - Loctite everywhere, it was a nightmare. Especially the tp, barrel and hammer pin were frustrating. I used the blue part of candle flame, and a gas stove - not ideal for heating to the required 700 degrees Celsius.

Got there in the end. Cleaned everything, polished a few parts that were rough and brought it back to life with a thin coat of Ballistol (the joys of oiling parts - can't beat it!).

All is re-sealed, re-assembled (thank you Youtube) and looks much better. Except for the reg: that looks good, a nice big cigar (even though I'm not a big fan of cigars), but it leaks. My Predator Airgun Spares seal kit contained 2 collets, but even with the help of collets, I cannot unscrew the reg. Perhaps there's Loctite in the reg too, but iirc, it's ridiculously tight. I don't know if this tension is necessary, in which case it would probably be best to send it off, as I won't be able to tighten it up that much at home (I don't even have a vice - a real amateur).

Has anyone done a Superten reg at home? If yes, then your advice would be much appreciated. There is a bit of info on the forums and also on Youtube (long live Northwest Airguns USA). Or is there someone locally (Suffolk/Norfolk) who would be so kind to take this cigar apart for me in exchange of wine, cider, a rabbit or a woodie haha? Or all of these.

Many thanks, Louis

Ps. The green stuff on the stock is Nitromors that has dripped from the other side; I'm stripping the stock today.

Victory - well, not really. No, not at all actually.
    I managed to unscrew 1 part of the reg.
    Using collets and 2 mole grips and all the aggression in my body and mind. Had one mole grip, borrowed another from my neighbour.
    So there are now 4 ultra tight parts to undo. Damn. This is horrible. One of the parts only has a circular ring with approx. 3mm width to grip. And that is tight as hell too.
    The Titan action is so easy compared with this.

Advise

Rancid Tom on here is a Super 10 expert , perhaps a PM to him might be helpful .

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    Rancid Tom on here is a Super 10 expert , perhaps a PM to him might be helpful .
    Thanks, but RT told me that he does not work on only the reg.
    Meaning that I would have to get the whole gun tuned, which I don't want.
    I'll probably need to get two V blocks. Or find someone with DIY S10 reg experience :-)

An electric soldering iron is a useful tool for localised heating to break down thread lock .

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    An electric soldering iron is a useful tool for localised heating to break down thread lock .
    A yes that's a good tip thank you. I don't think there is Loctite on the regulator threads, but I'll keep it in mind.

You could try speaking with JB, I've always found him helpful
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

These guns are so annoying with so many things to go wrong.

I have an S10 Based Stalker that has irritated me for years!

Once you fix this problem another one will appear.

For your own piece of mind I suggest you move it on to somebody who collects rather than shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    These guns are so annoying with so many things to go wrong.

I have an S10 Based Stalker that has irritated me for years!

Once you fix this problem another one will appear.

For your own piece of mind I suggest you move it on to somebody who collects rather than shoots.
    Hi gingernut, I managed to take the reg apart in 30 minutes today. It was a matter of a cool mind and hot metal.
    It did get me worked up yesterday, but there's a lesson for me: not to continue when I'm frustrated and things aren't working.
    I don't see what you mean tbh. The reg can be done at home, all I used is heat, collets and 2 mole grips.
    The rest of the gun can be taken apart and serviced relatively easily.
    This is my second S10: my other one hasn't had any issues for years and years. John Bowkett blueprinted it for me, which might be the secret.
    If you struggle with your Stalker Ten, then I would highly recommend having John service it.
    IMO it is a very well designed, reliable and bomb proof airgun.
    Will report on results once the reg is resealed and re assembled. I expect to have a fully working and fresh S10 then. Nath is going to refinish the stock. Total cost with refinished stock and seals will be 250 pounds.

Let us know how it is when you have rebuilt it.

Yes they are complicated but once running right they are very very good.

I hunt a lot with my .177 S10 with a Photon NV on top. It's got a fantastic barrel and is a tack driver with 10.3 gr Baracuda Hunter.

I'm actually waiting to get my action back from RT after a REG service. Should be here mid week

When it arrives back I shall be doing some accuracy testing with Exact Heavy as these are likely to be more efficient pellets as they are a softer compound than the H&N Bara's

Best of luck with the rebuild

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I bought one in pieces but complete,unfortunately the main tool used appeared to be a pair of false teeth .

What an unholy mess it was.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    I bought one in pieces but complete,unfortunately the main tool used appeared to be a pair of false teeth .

What an unholy mess it was.
    That's a pity. Patience is required haha. Probably the person who wanted to take it apart got even more worked up than me, and decided to do a few shortcuts, resulting in damage. I must admit that my regulator has a few marks on it now, from the collets turning. Superficial marks to the blueing. Yesterday I put all my anger and aggression in turning, resulting in slipping collets. Very stupid. Heat was the secret. Should have known. It isn't rocket science. But all respect for JB - it must take a lot of knowledge and skills to design something like the S10 cigar!

No time for re-assembly and sealing today; will report on the results tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    Let us know how it is when you have rebuilt it.

Yes they are complicated but once running right they are very very good.

I hunt a lot with my .177 S10 with a Photon NV on top. It's got a fantastic barrel and is a tack driver with 10.3 gr Baracuda Hunter.

I'm actually waiting to get my action back from RT after a REG service. Should be here mid week

When it arrives back I shall be doing some accuracy testing with Exact Heavy as these are likely to be more efficient pellets as they are a softer compound than the H&N Bara's

Best of luck with the rebuild

Matty
    Nice! Is Barracuda Hunter better than the 8.4 gr JSB Exacts? I use standard JSB Exacts in almost everything in .177, .20, .22 and .25

Wait till your bottle starts leaking and/or unscrews itself.
    Or the magazine starts playing up.
    Or the power goes up or down.
    Or it won't cock.

To be fair I bought it secondhand and who knows what was done to before I had the misfortune to fall for its nice LH stock.
    Last edited by gingernut; 21-10-2018 at 06:17 PM.

I'm a great believer in the adage,a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I took one look at the collection of parts in a bread tray and thought this is way beyond my ability.