Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S10 Reg - Diy Disassembly?

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Wait till your bottle starts leaking and/or unscrews itself.
    Or the magazine starts playing up.
    Or the power goes up or down.
    Or it won't cock.

To be fair I bought it secondhand and who knows what was done to before I had the misfortune to fall for its nice LH stock.
    Never had any of this with my JB tuned S10.
    Magazine problem is easy to solve by taking indexing mechanism out of the action and then using the "new style" self indexing mags. I will use Loctite on the reg threads once I've tested it to satisfaction.
    Then nothing should undo itself. Can't imagine a bottle with 230 - 80 bars unscrewing itself, the pressure on the threads is big. You might have had one in great need of repair. Trust me I've had my S10 for a long time and it's my most reliable pcp.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Nice! Is Barracuda Hunter better than the 8.4 gr JSB Exacts? I use standard JSB Exacts in almost everything in .177, .20, .22 and .25
    I was originally using the old design Bis Mags with the lines running down the sides which were around 10.6 gr.

When these ran out I tried the 10.3 gr Barracuda Hunter as my barrel likes a long pellet. I find them very accurate and hard hitting for rabbits out to 45 yards.

At RTs recommendation I have just bought some JSB Exact "Heavies" which are also 10.3 gr. I'll be testing these later in the week.

Cheers
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

All done. It works a treat. 630-626-633-624 were the first shots. Power needs to go down.
    The stock will be off to Nath.
    As good as new, total costs will be 250 pounds, I'm a happy bunny.
    After consulting Northwest Airguns, I didn't use Loctite on the reg threads btw. Not necessary according to him and he's serviced a lot of them.

Congrats an well done for sticking with it, think i will stick with the HW100
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Nice one mate.

Which pellets did you test with?

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    Nice one mate.

Matty
    I used JSB Express 14.13 gr. I'll also test with 15.89 JSB's. But I need to find a way to get the power down asap hehe.
    Will do a bit of research on this but it's probably a case of taking out a shim in the reg.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Wait till your bottle starts leaking ...
    Just to put this out there - when done shooting the gun, gradually unscrew the bottle while blank firing the gun.

The bottle will / may leak if left screwed in, the bottle valve seal takes a different set when pushed off the seat (opened) by the regulator. Unscrewing the bottle means the valve seats, seals, and stays sealed.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Good to know.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    All done. It works a treat. 630-626-633-624 were the first shots. Power needs to go down.

I used JSB Express 14.13 gr. I'll also test with 15.89 JSB's. But I need to find a way to get the power down asap hehe.
    Will do a bit of research on this but it's probably a case of taking out a shim in the reg.
    This is why I will not work on a regulator alone unless I have tuned the rest of the gun. Tuning a gun is a process involving getting all the relevant parts to work together and optimising them for consistency, then setting the power and re-checking the consistency. Supplying a serviced regulator to a gun which has been modified or badly set up beforehand by another person will more often than not produce an illegal firearm. I am an RFD and do not wish my RFD status to fall foul of the law by supplying parts that people fit to rifles making them unlicensed FAC guns.
    If I have tuned a gun I keep records so that it will be possible to service and reset the regulator for that gun in the future if no other modifications have been done by other people. That is the only way I will consider working on a regulator alone.
    There is also nothing to say that even with a consistent and legal muzzle velocity that a gun can actually put a respectable group size in due to various other reasons for example the barrel crown and/or the silencer thread. If I have the whole action I can correct most issues such as badly machined crown or breech. I have seen barrels with internal damage due to corrosion or mistreatment that not even a re-crown will make them shoot well.
    There are places on an S10 that need Loctite but not the regulator. BSA have over the years seemingly used Loctite in the wrong places, usually excessively when applied. They have also neglected to use it in the right places. I can only guess that the changes were due to different people working on assembly or possibly customers who may have been told the gun has never been serviced when in fact it has been wrongly assembled by somebody in a previous life? Either forgotten about or information not passed to the current owner.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    This is why I will not work on a regulator alone unless I have tuned the rest of the gun. Tuning a gun is a process involving getting all the relevant parts to work together and optimising them for consistency, then setting the power and re-checking the consistency. Supplying a serviced regulator to a gun which has been modified or badly set up beforehand by another person will more often than not produce an illegal firearm. I am an RFD and do not wish my RFD status to fall foul of the law by supplying parts that people fit to rifles making them unlicensed FAC guns.
    If I have tuned a gun I keep records so that it will be possible to service and reset the regulator for that gun in the future if no other modifications have been done by other people. That is the only way I will consider working on a regulator alone.
    There is also nothing to say that even with a consistent and legal muzzle velocity that a gun can actually put a respectable group size in due to various other reasons for example the barrel crown and/or the silencer thread. If I have the whole action I can correct most issues such as badly machined crown or breech. I have seen barrels with internal damage due to corrosion or mistreatment that not even a re-crown will make them shoot well.
    There are places on an S10 that need Loctite but not the regulator. BSA have over the years seemingly used Loctite in the wrong places, usually excessively when applied. They have also neglected to use it in the right places. I can only guess that the changes were due to different people working on assembly or possibly customers who may have been told the gun has never been serviced when in fact it has been wrongly assembled by somebody in a previous life? Either forgotten about or information not passed to the current owner.
    Thanks RT. I understand.
    After having taken out the second spacer from the reg, my S10 shoots at 11.4 ft/lbs and it is very accurate. To be honest I think I have set it up correctly, and all is functioning well.
    Regards, Louis