Thread: Hold sensitivity.. Jim's AGW article...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Hold sensitivity.. Jim's AGW article...

Interesting read Jim, as always The vibration graphs were especially interesting....

Quick rewind.. Whilst I'm sure plenty of folks might have considered that hold sensitivity was very much a function of stroke length, as you I'm sure have more conversation than I about such things with a far wider range of people (I live in a cave), personally I had always thought that hold sensitivity was more a function of piston bounce and it's timing (relative to pellet exit).

Obvious example is an export spec long stroke throttled back to 12 FP with a weedy spring; lots of piston bounce. Shorten the stroke back to std 12 FP specs, less hold sensitivity, stronger spring job done

But both this and the vibration theory come back to the same, pleasingly simple hypothesis.. that what you ideally want is for the pellet to be exiting the muzzle when the muzzle itself is not subject to much movement... now whether that movement is related to rifle displacement or the more subtle affect of vibrations (presumably themselves due to aggressive piston bounce - which would certainly explain why some very light pistons can be hold sensitive without piston inertia to calm things down) is a more interesting question. Am going to dig out some of Jamie accelerometer graphs in a sec and see what can be deduced...
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 21-10-2018 at 07:10 AM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.