Thread: Hold sensitivity.. Jim's AGW article...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Glad you enjoyed the article, Jon.

If you note the fluctuations in Jamie’s x axis accelerometer graph, you’ll see they’ve largely disappeared from the integrated velocity graph. Sorry, Jon, but when the pellet exits, the vibration is there, but you can’t see it because it’s been integrated out.
    Yeah, agreed in the vibration being masked... although the mass of the rifle will also help with that...

I was more making the point about the veolcity of the muzzle being relatively constant, rather than rapidly changing (for example when excessive bounce is occuring), and that being a good starting point for why stroke reductions (to reduce that excessive bounce) can be a good idea...

But for sure, as I said at the beginning, the vibration detail from your article is very interesting as another factor - and possibly a more significant one too... especially if that translates to the muzzle, or indeed is magnified at the muzzle.... where did you stick your accelerometer ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Yeah, agreed in the vibration being masked... although the mass of the rifle will also help with that...

I was more making the point about the veolcity of the muzzle being relatively constant, rather than rapidly changing (for example when excessive bounce is occuring), and that being a good starting point for why stroke reductions (to reduce that excessive bounce) can be a good idea...

But for sure, as I said at the beginning, the vibration detail from your article is very interesting as another factor - and possibly a more significant one too... especially if that translates to the muzzle, or indeed is magnified at the muzzle.... where did you stick your accelerometer ?
    I only measure the X axis, Jon, and always from around three inches forward of the rear of the scope grooves.

I only measure the X axis, Jon, and always from around three inches forward of the rear of the scope grooves.
    that old single axis technology Jim, come on, get with the times (don't let using Terry as a benchmark for technological evolution keep you behind the times )
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

that old single axis technology Jim, come on, get with the times (don't let using Terry as a benchmark for technological evolution keep you behind the times )
    You tell 'im, Sheddy, old lad!

Hang on.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Never mind the fancy techno stuff, young Jon. How was Jamie's all-singing, all-dancing accelerometer attached to your rifles when those result were recorded?

Never mind the fancy techno stuff, young Jon. How was Jamie's all-singing, all-dancing accelerometer attached to your rifles when those result were recorded?
    towards the front of the scope rail...

towards the front of the scope rail...
    Thanks Jon, that answers the 'where' but not the 'how'. Jamie used to mount the accelerometer on an upturned scope mount, itself attached to the scope. Was you data captured like that, or the way I do it, low on a scope mount, just above the action?

Knowing this stuff helps interpret the data.

Thanks Jon, that answers the 'where' but not the 'how'. Jamie used to mount the accelerometer on an upturned scope mount, itself attached to the scope. Was you data captured like that, or the way I do it, low on a scope mount, just above the action?

Knowing this stuff helps interpret the data.
    Is was effectively a dovetail clamp, very low to the action... Jamie had both options