Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hold sensitivity.. Jim's AGW article...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    Hence, hold sensitivity will depend on the pellet design as well as what the barrel is doing.
    Damn, just what we need, another variable... Thanks
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    that old single axis technology Jim, come on, get with the times (don't let using Terry as a benchmark for technological evolution keep you behind the times )
    You tell 'im, Sheddy, old lad!

Hang on.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Couple that with the 'light fingered' technique I borrowed from Terry D ..!
    Terry? Light fingered?

Terry, Terry.......can you hear what he's saying?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Nomads on the 26th will be the perfect place to test theories about hold sensitivity and feed the debate of which tune works best. Not only because the bottomless well of jim's knowledge will be present, but if this years course is anything to go by, the terrain and course layout will highlight any poor technique or particularly hold sensitive setup. Going up the hill this year there were elevated shots requiring high holds up the peg, and the ground you were lying on had camber, together it really messed up your hold if you weren't conscious of it.

.and hold sensitivity can be removed through technique rather than tuning.

I find the technical articles fascinating, but the best advice Jim has ever given me still stands - buy lots of pellets and practice!
    And, of course, Jim mentions this in this month's article, Dan.

Many have said it so many times.......get the gun and scope exactly as you want / need it, then practice, practice, practice. Get to know that gun inside out so that it becomes a part of you. That's why so many of us (myself most definitely included) will never realise our full potential, forever switching between guns. And, when I hunted and just had the one gun, the gun that you were so intimate with, a gun whose little foibles you understood so well, well, shooting was so natural.

That old adage "beware the man with just one gun" stands as firm today as it ever did.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

We might know more about hold sensitivity next year. Nomads are hosting the inaugural UKAHFT 2019 Recoil HFT Championship on 26th May, and there will be plenty of rifles with short strokes, light pistons, reduced diameter cylinders and the like. I just need to convince the owners to let me test their rifles…
    Sounds like a definite date for the diaries of any springer enthusiast, Jim.

Damn, just what we need, another variable... Thanks
    Well you gun boys do tend to forget the bits of metal that come out of them sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    That old adage "beware the man with just one gun" stands as firm today as it ever did.
    Tony

I love the technical stuff. I'll pop up town and get a copy so I can read Jim's latest article.

"Beware the man with one gun"

In modern springer shooting terms ...

"Beware the man who sticks to one tune in his springer"

I dusted off an old 77 last night. If I do one thing this winter it'll be doing some HFT style hold sensitivity testing with a couple of tunes and other things.

It'll be great to read of your findings, Boz.

Like you, can't wait to get my Jim Fix every month.

Now, when I've fettled a gun, if it feels smooth to cock and fire, doesn't twang and the power output is where I want it I tend not to play further and just shoot it.

that old single axis technology Jim, come on, get with the times (don't let using Terry as a benchmark for technological evolution keep you behind the times )
    Never mind the fancy techno stuff, young Jon. How was Jamie's all-singing, all-dancing accelerometer attached to your rifles when those result were recorded?

X= along
    Y = up and down
    Z = side to side

See the "Y" muzzle flip in the last graph...
    Gotcha.

Never mind the fancy techno stuff, young Jon. How was Jamie's all-singing, all-dancing accelerometer attached to your rifles when those result were recorded?
    towards the front of the scope rail...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

towards the front of the scope rail...
    Thanks Jon, that answers the 'where' but not the 'how'. Jamie used to mount the accelerometer on an upturned scope mount, itself attached to the scope. Was you data captured like that, or the way I do it, low on a scope mount, just above the action?

Knowing this stuff helps interpret the data.

Thanks Jon, that answers the 'where' but not the 'how'. Jamie used to mount the accelerometer on an upturned scope mount, itself attached to the scope. Was you data captured like that, or the way I do it, low on a scope mount, just above the action?

Knowing this stuff helps interpret the data.
    Is was effectively a dovetail clamp, very low to the action... Jamie had both options

Is was effectively a dovetail clamp, very low to the action... Jamie had both options
    That sounds good.

Best was when I drilled and tapped an HW95 trigger block, so the accelerometer was on the axis of the cylinder, although I don't recommend anyone tries loading and shooting an HW95 action out of the stock