Thread: Vintage scope for BSA Airsporter Mark II

Vintage scope for BSA Airsporter Mark II

Have about a mint BSA Airsporter Mark II with the four separated mount groves. I think the folding sight is not the best? I can go modern with rings and scope. But I am in touch with some vintage Parker Hale scope rings that should fit but they are for a 7/8 inch scope. I can easily buy a vintage 7/8 scope made by Weaver or another maker. Is there an issue with a spring gun of the vintage power tearing up a scope of that era?

I just think it would be cool to have rings and scope of the same era as the gun? I’m just a backyard shooter not that concerned with having the absolute best scope.

Last edited by 45flint; 21-10-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Firearms scopes are sometimes not up to the forward and backwards recoil of an airgun!

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi, you realy need to get a original scope for it. they not very good made from plastic in 2x or 3x mag. but they were made for them at the time. they also fit the Meteor Mk1 as well

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi, you realy need to get a original scope for it. they not very good made from plastic in 2x or 3x mag. but they were made for them at the time. they also fit the Meteor Mk1 as well
    For me in the US that would be impossible? And actually the idea of a plastic scope is a turn off. Love the idea of vintage Parker Hale rings but the 7/8 tube I believe limits my scope options? I was hoping that a older 10 FPE rifle may not cause the issues modern spring rifles do? Were the vintage plastic scopes all that tuff?

Bottom line I can get modern 1” rings that will fit and a modern airgun scope, but going vintage would just seem so more in line with this rifle?
    Last edited by 45flint; 22-10-2018 at 11:18 AM.

I think something like a Parker Hale Haweka 4x scope would be in keeping with the era, or a Huntascope 3x, also distributed by Parker Hale. Both would have either fine crosshairs or the german sniper reticule No1. They would look great on an Airsporter Mk2

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    But they are truly terrible scopes, as you note. Better off with irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    I think something like a Parker Hale Haweka 4x scope would be in keeping with the era, or a Huntascope 3x, also distributed by Parker Hale. Both would have either fine crosshairs or the german sniper reticule No1. They would look great on an Airsporter Mk2
    I agree with Flint on a Weaver.

My Mk5 Airsporter has a 70s 6-32mm Japanese Weaver on it, which feels right, even if it’s historically a bit OTT, and in reality the thing, if scoped, probably had a poor 4x20 on it.

Thing is, the Weavers now are getting collectible themselves, esp the older ones in the US. Something like a Weaver 330C is $500+, because people want them to make replica (or fake) M1903A4 and M1C/D sniper rifles. A minor trend also being some US deer hunters, especially in wooded (short range) areas, bucking the majority trend for long-range sniper rigs and instead going the nostalgic route - eg a Savage 99 in 250-3000 with an old Weaver on top (comment: nice).

If you can get 1” rings, old fixed-power 28mm and 32mm M8 gloss Leupolds are cheap where you are, Flint, perform well, and would look pretty right on an old ‘sporter, even if twenty years younger. And if they break (springer recoil), Leupold will fix them, no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Have about a mint BSA Airsporter Mark II with the four separated mount groves. I think the folding sight is not the best? I can go modern with rings and scope. But I am in touch with some vintage Parker Hale scope rings that should fit but they are for a 7/8 inch scope. I can easily buy a vintage 7/8 scope made by Weaver or another maker. Is there an issue with a spring gun of the vintage power tearing up a scope of that era?

I just think it would be cool to have rings and scope of the same era as the gun? I’m just a backyard shooter not that concerned with having the absolute best scope.

Hi Flint,

You are absolutely in the right place for well priced weavers ( Wish there were a few more on this side of the pond).

If it were my rifle, I would find a nice clean El Paso, Weaver B6, and using the Parker Hale mounts, put that on your Airsporter. These longer steel scopes look great, and have the length to still give correct eye relief over the curved trigger block. ( Thats if you cant find a Parker Hale scope, as per my earlier suggestion.....)

Good luck in your quest Sir

Lakey

Just found some Parker Hale 1 inch scope rings that should hopefully fit. We will soon find out. 1 inch rings open up the world of scope possibilities. Any thoughts on a springer worthy 1 inch scope that would look period and or serve the purpose well?

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Just found some Parker Hale 1 inch scope rings that should hopefully fit. We will soon find out. 1 inch rings open up the world of scope possibilities. Any thoughts on a springer worthy 1 inch scope that would look period and or serve the purpose well?
    A nice, early Weaver K4 or K3.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    A nice, early Weaver K4 or K3.
    Been looking and I agree, just hope the rings fit. On there way from Australia! Do have concerns about whether these scope can stand up to a springer with 10 FPE, it’s no magnum but still?
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-10-2018 at 01:56 AM.