Thread: GGG .223 rem ammo

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

GGG .223 rem ammo

I know this is the reloading section, but worth a try as no one else seems to know, and I can't find any who has shot it, has any shot the GGG .223 rem Target 69 gn factory Match ammo? and how well does it group in a well set up match rifle?

Not interested in the cooking stuff they make, just the 69 gn Match

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    An oppo of mine uses it well in his lever release AR, and one of our best CSR shots does as well, but with respect this is a bit of a vague question.

All rifles usually suit something more than others. If I told you the cheapest bullet I could get my hands on grouped best in my BAR10.... While others will simply feed their rifles the most expensive fodder they can because it has to be the best right? Nope, wrong.

Even 2 rifles made the same on the same day wont always perform the same, harmonics are an odd thing.

The best way to find out is buy 20 or so of the rounds you supect work well and try them in as controlled conditions as you can (flat calm at 100 yards is a good start).

I know this will no doubt have me laughed out of court but test them as you would shoot, so if you shoot with a sling, test them that way, or with a bipod, test with one. Try and avoid testing with a bipod then shooting with a sling because the harmonics may well change between modes.

My old M67 always grouped best with a sling, and did not like a bipod (and yes, it was attached correctly and the barrel was able to float properly). All my loads get tested as I will shoot with them from the stablest platform (so mag rested, with sling, 4.5x mag).

To ge the difinitive answer mate, you will have to test I am afraid.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Thanks I realise its a bit vague, its why I said "in a well set up match rifle". The problem is I havn't built the rifle I'm considering using, so can't try it! I was hoping that some one who perhaps shot bench with a match set up, and not a hunting set up may have tried it and got good results.

The full story!

I shoot, along with my wife 300 metre, we both use Keppeler's in 6 mmBR, the most recent with a Bartlein barrel, they are the tool for the job and with our hand loads I doubt could be bettered, I'm not interested in using any other calibre seriously in 300 mt.

I also shoot TR with a 7.62, BUT, I have an idea to try shooting .223 rem. which is legal in TR, lower recoil, and cheap factory ammo (the GGG referred) and, it could also double as a cheaper 300 mt calibre, some do use it but with hand loads using SMK's in 90 gn, those shoot superbly well, not what I want to do.

My plan would be to build a full match .223 rem. Barnard action, with a Bartlein barrel, with a twist (1-8) and chambered to suit the GGG ammo. The rifle will be built and chambered to suit the GGG, not to suit hand loads with longer bullets such as the 90 and the 80 gn, where it would have to be chambered differently, and for 90 grain in 1 - 7 or 1 - 6 ish twist.

I do 2000+ match hand loads a year now, I'm not interest in hand loading for .223, the attraction for me is its legal for TR, could be competitive with GGG (so no reloading) and could (possibly if its accurate enough) serve as a spare 300 mt rifle.

The idea is based around "IF" the GGG is good enough, I suspect it is, but don't know any one with a good .223 match rifle who has used it, hoped some on one here may have. If I get a view that the GGG is not good enough, or no view at all, I won't bother.

I just want to know if any one has shot well with the GGG .223 rem Match ammo, not bothered out of what, (as long as its tight! and tight is subjective, I mean at least 0.5 MOA), and ideally at least out to 300.

Have Fun
    Robin

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

The ggg match use Sierra smk's and as Para says they shoot very well I a friend's rifle.
    Work them hard, treat them like heros.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Thanks I realise its a bit vague, its why I said "in a well set up match rifle". The problem is I havn't built the rifle I'm considering using, so can't try it! I was hoping that some one who perhaps shot bench with a match set up, and not a hunting set up may have tried it and got good results.

The full story!

I shoot, along with my wife 300 metre, we both use Keppeler's in 6 mmBR, the most recent with a Bartlein barrel, they are the tool for the job and with our hand loads I doubt could be bettered, I'm not interested in using any other calibre seriously in 300 mt.

I also shoot TR with a 7.62, BUT, I have an idea to try shooting .223 rem. which is legal in TR, lower recoil, and cheap factory ammo (the GGG referred) and, it could also double as a cheaper 300 mt calibre, some do use it but with hand loads using SMK's in 90 gn, those shoot superbly well, not what I want to do.

My plan would be to build a full match .223 rem. Barnard action, with a Bartlein barrel, with a twist (1-8) and chambered to suit the GGG ammo. The rifle will be built and chambered to suit the GGG, not to suit hand loads with longer bullets such as the 90 and the 80 gn, where it would have to be chambered differently, and for 90 grain in 1 - 7 or 1 - 6 ish twist.

I do 2000+ match hand loads a year now, I'm not interest in hand loading for .223, the attraction for me is its legal for TR, could be competitive with GGG (so no reloading) and could (possibly if its accurate enough) serve as a spare 300 mt rifle.

The idea is based around "IF" the GGG is good enough, I suspect it is, but don't know any one with a good .223 match rifle who has used it, hoped some on one here may have. If I get a view that the GGG is not good enough, or no view at all, I won't bother.

I just want to know if any one has shot well with the GGG .223 rem Match ammo, not bothered out of what, (as long as its tight! and tight is subjective, I mean at least 0.5 MOA), and ideally at least out to 300.

Have Fun
    Robin

Have Fun
    Robin
    Good luck then
    I'm a maggot in another life you know