Thread: Best value pre war air rifle?

Best value pre war air rifle?

There seem to be many pre war rifles available but I'm a novice when it comes to knowing my onions. The Lincoln Jefferies/ BSA models seem to command high prices, I want a gun to shoot not a collectors investment. This leads to my question of which models should be steered clear of and what model is best value for money? (The Diana Mod 27 looks a nice gun).

Thanks, Matt

I just bought a pre-war Model 27 for £50, a very well built rifle. I still prefer the pre-war BSA break barrel for value at £70-£100. You can get a lot of milita type rifles for this kind of price.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Diana 27 is rarely the wrong answer to any question, from the 1930s to the 80s.

Some of the German BSA copies can be fairly good value (some not).

You could equally consider a cosmetically poor (or refinished) BSA of some kind with decent internals.

For example, my shooter Airsporter Mk1 is quite well amateur refinished (but no markings, of course) and has a very well repaired and refinished stock. It was cheap, as it has little or no collector value, but it’s still nice to shoot.

A Mk11 service might not be cheap, but what starts off as a high quality product will remain as such.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    A Mk11 service might not be cheap, but what starts off as a high quality product will remain as such.
    Not trying to derail this, or start an argument. Honestly.

But. The MkII is iconic, famous, loveable, charming, interesting, steampunk, historically important, fascinating. It’s a truly brilliant piece of vintage air rifle. One of the finest.

What it isn’t is a good air rifle.

It’s beautifully made and finished, but the BSA and other (Diana...) BSA copies just perform better. They are a better design.

The fact that there have since the MkII been basically no successful over-lever barrel cocking air rifles tells you something.

I’d absolutely love a MkII, and I feel very affectionate towards them. Every one I get in contact with I pick up and think it’s cool and really nice. But I just don’t want to spend £600 on a nice example that I know will perform on a par with £100 or less of equivalent Diana 27, or £250 of BSA.

Great thing to own, tick. Good investment, tick. Great thing to play with, tick. Good rifle, sorry, no tick.

As previously stated, a Diana 27 is a great pre war rifle.
    My missus got one recently and it opened our eyes to just how well these old rifles can shoot.

In case you didn't see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=889pWxlysQY.

A few other options out there but they can be a bit more expensive and not necessarily shoot any better.

now I want them all!

Cheers,
    Matt.

I'll take a trip to the next Birmingham arms fair (25 minute drive). Hopefully there will be a few 27's around to take a look at.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by matt w View Post
    I'll take a trip to the next Birmingham arms fair (25 minute drive). Hopefully there will be a few 27's around to take a look at.
    You can't go far wrong with a BSA Cadet Major or Mk1 Meteor both good guns and you can pick them up quite cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Not trying to derail this, or start an argument. Honestly.

But. The MkII is iconic, famous, loveable, charming, interesting, steampunk, historically important, fascinating. It’s a truly brilliant piece of vintage air rifle. One of the finest.

What it isn’t is a good air rifle.

It’s beautifully made and finished, but the BSA and other (Diana...) BSA copies just perform better. They are a better design.

The fact that there have since the MkII been basically no successful over-lever barrel cocking air rifles tells you something.

I’d absolutely love a MkII, and I feel very affectionate towards them. Every one I get in contact with I pick up and think it’s cool and really nice. But I just don’t want to spend £600 on a nice example that I know will perform on a par with £100 or less of equivalent Diana 27, or £250 of BSA.

Great thing to own, tick. Good investment, tick. Great thing to play with, tick. Good rifle, sorry, no tick.

Pretty much my sentiments entirely regarding the MK11 Service which is why I also have never bought one.Considering how many there are available other than the much rarer iterations they are overpriced IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    You can't go far wrong with a BSA Cadet Major or Mk1 Meteor both good guns and you can pick them up quite cheap.
    I have yet to find pre-war examples of either of these

But I agree they are good little guns - I have examples of both

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

For me the best value in terms of residual value and functionality are to be found in the pre-WW1 BSA under lever air rifles. The easiest to source would be the Improved Mod D which I believe represents the panicle of this iconic design. This rifle was offered in three sizes to appeal to the full spectrum of potential shooters as part of the drive to encourage sales during its production period. The Standard or Ordinary Pattern is the full length variant and is the most forgiving air rifle I have ever shot making up for my sometimes poor technique and still grouping as well as it would have done when new over 100 years ago.. The rifles also hold their value well and good examples will always appeal to collectors or admirers of British engineering at its best.

Regards
    Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    I have yet to find pre-war examples of either of these

But I agree they are good little guns - I have examples of both

Matty
    You are so right but there is only 8 years difference in manufacturing from the last BSA breakbarrel being made to the first Cadet Major.