Thread: Webley Omega

Webley Omega

Does anybody know if a Weihrauch front sight will fit the barrel dovetail of the Webley Omega? They appear to be close to the same size, but the Weihrauch dovetail is pressed into the steel, where the Omega dovetail is finely machined into the barrel.

I don't know if the angles are the same, and as my colleague at work is wont to say, assumption is the mother of all f**kups.

Webley Omega

it will,a tight fit though

Thanks for that, I'll give one a try. Better tight than loose (!). I'm guessing genuine Omega ones are rare as hen's teeth.

I can try it the other way around. Omega sight onto HW barrel if it helps

Yep, go for it. Be interested to see how it is, let me know.

I've got a lovely scoped omega ( no front or rear sights ) its got a silencer on and a plate saying " Webley" with two screws holding it in place on the breech block.

Often wondered if I could get open sights for it, or if anything else would fit say 80's HW 77 K sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    I've got a lovely scoped omega ( no front or rear sights ) its got a silencer on and a plate saying " Webley" with two screws holding it in place on the breech block.

Often wondered if I could get open sights for it, or if anything else would fit say 80's HW 77 K sights.
    The rear sight is pretty common and relatively easy to get hold of, it was used on several Webley models. The front sight is a completely different story. I'm pretty sure (having a good think here) that the front sight was Omega specific. Most people removed them to fit silencers etc. and either lost them or binned them. They do exist but aren't the easiest things to come by.

Cheers
    Greg

For the rear sight you can also fit the older (and very common) Webley sight, the plastic one fitted to Vulcans, Ospreys, Trackers etc etc, as the screw spacing is the same. Whether it's height would be ok with an Omega foresght, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    The rear sight is pretty common and relatively easy to get hold of, it was used on several Webley models. The front sight is a completely different story. I'm pretty sure (having a good think here) that the front sight was Omega specific. Most people removed them to fit silencers etc. and either lost them or binned them. They do exist but aren't the easiest things to come by.

Cheers
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    For the rear sight you can also fit the older (and very common) Webley sight, the plastic one fitted to Vulcans, Ospreys, Trackers etc etc, as the screw spacing is the same. Whether it's height would be ok with an Omega foresght, I'm not sure.
    The front sight is, I think, unique. At least to Webley. I do wonder though whether they made it, comissioned it from a supplier, or - more likely? - bought a pre-existing item from (eg) Diana, HW, Anschutz or a company in their supply chains.

The rear is shared with the Eclipse and Patriot.

I too do not know whether the generic rear sight used with earlier and contemporary Webleys would be an effective replacement. But it would look wrong. My impression is that it might sit a bit too high, but happy to be proved wrong.

There are obviously many owners of air rifles from the 80s who have sold the rifles ages ago but still have the sights in the back of a drawer somewhere (or put them in the bin)!

Bit of a shame really , I prefer shooting with open sights.

There's some photos of an Omega on Tim Dyson website clearly showing the original set up. Didn't realise the sling fastenings were fitted at the factory .

How about a slightly modified HW front sight and a Williams sports peep rear sight?

John Knibbs stocks the rear sight. http://www.airgunspares.com/store/pr...-Part-No.-X76/

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    John Knibbs stocks the rear sight.
    Unfortunately they don't. It's listed, but out of stock. That may indicate they expect them back in again, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I too do not know whether the generic rear sight used with earlier and contemporary Webleys would be an effective replacement. But it would look wrong.
    I totally agree about it looking wrong, it's not the prettiest sight ever made. We're talking desperate measures here.

There's an anshutz item available on the auction site, looks very similar to the omega foresight.

Omega Sights

I once had an Omega that had no sights. I was able to buy a used rear sight, which came from another Webley model(?) and for the front I used a Diana sight. It seemed to work fine.

God Bless,
    Scott