Thread: Sighting in a laser site

Sighting in a laser site

I find it is better to clamp the gun in a fixed position.
    Sight in the crosshairs for the distance you are shooting at (elevation)
    Then tune in the laser to the crosshairs in the scope.
    At the distance you have set it at,the laser dot will be spot on.
    A laser beam travels in a straight line,and all pellets and bullets have a lob trajectory,so sighting your scope to the distance you are shooting at is crucial.
    i.e--setting the distance at 40yds for instance,the top of the lob/trajectory would be 40yds,this gives you a few feet before and after 40yds where the hit will be still accurate.
    Before the few feet,it will shoot low,after the few feet,it will shoot low also.

That's not quite the correct way to set a laser, or you explained it badly.

You don't set it for "the top of the lob" as you put it because as you just said it will be low both short & long, you should set it at your zero range so that short it is high of POI & long it is low of POI, thus it is both an aim point & range finder

Laser designators are designed for fast target acquisition in close combat where body mass is your target, why anyone would use one when they have a zeroed scope which should be more accurate is, frankly, beyond me.

I've seen a setup whereby the shooter made up a bracket that mounted the laser 5" above the scope. It looked unwieldy but in effect have him a cheap and reasonable accurate way of rangefinding. The further the laser is mounted from the scope, the better.
    Zero both at say 25y and any less and the laser will be higher than crosshair, more and the laser for will be below crosshair.
    Simply marking out ranges and recording the results will give you an accurate (If you can see the dot) way of rangefinding.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I've seen a setup whereby the shooter made up a bracket that mounted the laser 5" above the scope. It looked unwieldy but in effect have him a cheap and reasonable accurate way of rangefinding. The further the laser is mounted from the scope, the better.
    Zero both at say 25y and any less and the laser will be higher than crosshair, more and the laser for will be below crosshair.
    Simply marking out ranges and recording the results will give you an accurate (If you can see the dot) way of rangefinding.
    I was doing this back in 2002. A laser 5" above the scope is a total pain in the backside and more trouble than it's worth. Just buy a cheap LRF and do your homework on the land

What you can do is sight in the laser pointer and the scope then you can use it as range finder just by pointing at an object you will see if the middle of the crosshairs are higher or the red dot. This way you can work out how far the object is.
    Then you use the holdover as usual...

I don’t think it matters much if you put the laser under the barrel or over, I would put it under the barrel

lazer

Mounting over or under will work. Knowing your zero in relation to your scope is key. Though I see having both on the same rifle as unnecessary.