Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we have more than one or two guns ?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Why do we have more than one or two guns ?

A few year years ago I had a room full of guns but now I only have two, I was buying and collecting guns some I didn't even really like. (I had the bug lol)
    I seem to enjoy and be a better shot just having and using two guns that I really like, just wondering if anyone else feels the same, if not why is loads of guns better? or is it just the collecting bug

I have had periods of having loads of guns, then one or two, then back to loads again.
    if one buys second hand and wisely, it's really only like a free hire because your purchase price can nearly always be obtained when it's time to move it on.
    It's a strong willed enthusiast that can say no to that.

Micky Spillane is offline reports of my death have been greatly exagerated
    Ask your wife why she has a wardrobe full of clothes but nothing to wear, ask her why the bottom of the wardrobe is full of shoes but she needs another pair to wear with that little black dress that she just can't resist in the sale! I just look at mine and think that's too nice to take hunting where's my plastic stocked wonder gun?
    Drink good English Bitter beer and shoot safe,
    Micky Spillane

The reason I wound up with 8 TX200's is sort of like the old lady that has 30 cats. They sort of found me when they weren't wanted. A few of my FT buddies moved on to pcp after many years with their TX and I just rescued them. One was a world champ, back in the mid 90's, when the event was held in Michigan. One has finished at the top springer spot in our nationals and also placed 5th when the worlds were in Ireland. Another finished second at our nationals and was always a stand out locally. My only new bought gun won our state match a few times, so I have some capable guns, in the right hands. Not one of the 8 is a bad one, but I did try a different brand, once, and it was not good at all. In the end, it just sort of happened.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Oh Barry ... Smell the coffee. For when you have the bug you are doomed, and for as long as you are hooked (for the majority of us, once bitten and smitten, that's yer lot, lol), your air arsenal holdings will fluctuate, and will most likely be an organic and ever changing entity, with increases in numbers held being dictated by impulse and passion, and macro economics coupled with the duo of rationalisation and guilt dictating the decreases in a sort of Ying-Yang swing.

My max holding reached 68 assorted air guns circa 2010 (coincidently the band 'The Alarm' had a chart-topping single back in the early 1980s entitled '68 Guns' which is one of my all time favourites), and my minimum air gun holdings since the 1990s saw numbers dwindle to just four during my divorce, which finally freed me in 2016.

Today I have an organic dozen air guns, although at any one time, it is fair to say, that as not all of these are 'keepers', that some are just passing through ...

So Barry my friend, you are 'infected' and I proffer in denial, as unless you have external pressing economics draining on your financial recourses, as sure as eggs is eggs -- and notwithstanding the completion of any air gun detox programs you may enter into (lol) -- your holding will increase again, I'll bet you a mint condition boxed BSA Airsporter on it.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 23-10-2018 at 04:06 AM. Reason: coz I can :-D

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Too many guns, I didn't know such a situation existed!

Dave
    Smell my cheese

2 years ago I had 38 guns pass through my hands, atbthr minute I'm sitting about a dozen but that is about to jump to nearly 20 and I feel will drop right back off in the next year or so as I start collecting powder burners .
    One thing is for sure, I'm looking forward to selling some to people who will be pleased with them and I'm looking forward to buying that elusive 'one I always wanted, but this will do in the meantime' gun!
    Donald

I'm about to de clutter, over the next few months, maybe within 12 months but definitely within the next few years. Before I do though I want to try a few more in .177 if worse comes to worst they will fund my new (s/h) purchases but chances are that won't be needed if I shop around. I want to try 3 .177's before I go back to .22 I've allready been there & got the t shirt with .177/.22 rifles inc' fac so I have half an idea, sort of, what i'm doing. At present I have 11 rifles & one pistol. Eventually I want just 2 rifles, one fac & one sub 12ftb. I cannot give an explanation merely a poor excuse why I have so many & it just so happens a poor excuse is a good enough reason to me. The reason for my de clutter, I burn powder & the air side of things gets less & less use.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Serotonin

You don't have enough of it ... you feel sh1te. You have plenty of it ... you feel good.

A demanding job, a demanding boss, a demanding bank account, a nagging wife, demanding kids, a nagging doctor ... feels like sh1te.

Doing something that we know lifts our mood ( Serotonin ) ... feels good.

Buying another air rifle feels good.

Junkies ... all of us!

Lots of excellent posts and points made up above.

My name is Tony and I'm an airgun junky.

BOING!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Too many guns, I didn't know such a situation existed!
    It only exists in wive's minds Dave, so not to worry.

Last edited by T 20; 23-10-2018 at 09:26 AM.

The reason why I have so many is because:
    - serotonin
    - there are so many interesting designs/histories/shooting characteristics to explore

Springers / pcp's / CO2 / pumpers
    Single and multi shot
    .177, .20, .22, .25, .30, .45 etc.
    British / American / Swedish / German / Turkish / Russian etc.
    Pre/post war design and how it evolved. The rise of the pcp.
    Designers like John Bowkett who have invented great things and thought in a different way.

I am trying to scale down a bit though. Too many means lots of worries (space, bank account, repairs etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Never a truer word Mick, but I don't have that problem
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    A few year years ago I had a room full of guns but now I only have two, I was buying and collecting guns some I didn't even really like. (I had the bug lol)
    I seem to enjoy and be a better shot just having and using two guns that I really like, just wondering if anyone else feels the same, if not why is loads of guns better? or is it just the collecting bug
    I quite agree, different shooting situations may require a different tool, but a gun is just that - a tool, to do a job, not an ornament to sit on a shelf.
    I really don't understand the collecting thing.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

Here may I draw your attention to member ​negotiator's BBS avatar.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.