Thread: HW95k too loud

jon26 Guest

Unhappy HW95k too loud

I recently bought a HW95k brand new. The first thing I've noticed is that its unbelievable LOUD... I feel like after a couple of shots my ears are ringing and need to take a brake. Is this normal? Do other HW95 owners wear ear protection? Or could there be something wrong with my rifle?

How difficult would it be to add a silencer?

it will be loud the first few shots, because of the excessive grease.

fire a few more rounds from it and it'll start to settle down

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.
    As Gaz says, it will quieten down with a bit of use.However, if you wish to fit a silencer, it is fairly straightforward. The muzzle weight is attached to the rifle using grubscrew and locktite. To remove it simply heat the muzzle weight with a blow torch/gas stove until the locktite melts, and then you can twist it off with a pair of pliers. If you want to be posh you can then have the barrel threaded, or simply use one of the silencers that will slide straight on, like a Venom slimtech or webley prosystem.

alex

I have a Venom Slimtech on mine, it makes a big difference.

Bob

As Bob has said above get a Venom Slimtech, they look good, do a good job of reducing the crack but the blueing on them is of such a high standard they make the existing blueing look a bit dull.
    Carl .. AA S410K Nikko Sniper 10x42, AA TX200SR Simmons ProAir 4-12x40, Venom 97K Nikko Sniper 10x42.

jon26 Guest
    Okay, it sounds like the Venom SciTech is the way to go. I'm a little unclear with removing the existing barrel weight, is it really as easy as some people have mentioned?
    I don't have a blowtorch - would the gas hob do the trick? If so, how do I know when it's had enough heat. Also, after the heat is applied does the end screw off or just pull off?

Thanks!

Oven gas mark 5 for ten mins

My HW95K dieseled really badly straight out of the box, and was still doing after 500 pellets so I had it tuned by SFS and now it's a different rifle. They also took the muzzle weight off for me as well. I suppose you could heat it up on the gas hob, it will just pull off when the loctite melts.

jon26 Guest
    Originally posted by Hotshotharv
    I had it tuned by SFS and now it's a different rifle.
    Who is SFS? And how much did it cost to tune?

Originally posted by jon26
    Who is SFS? And how much did it cost to tune?
    here you go..>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.airguns.f9.co.uk/shops/sandwell.htm

.....Paladin...... ..

T.Rapoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1957
    I have a Venom Slimtech on mine, it makes a big difference.

Bob
    Hi Bob, what is the exact diameter and length of your slimtech silencer?

Thanks

TJ

SNAKEBITE is offline Somebody must love me.......
    I think it is fair to point out that fitting a silencer on a springer whilst a very good idea will not make it as silent as you may believe or want.
    This is due to the spring still going "BOING" and the internals doing what they have to do.

Hope this helps, have a listen if possible to other silenced springers to get an idea.
    Good luck.
    I AM NOT RACIST, I HAVE A COLOURED TELLY

Quote Originally Posted by SNAKEBITE
    I think it is fair to point out that fitting a silencer on a springer whilst a very good idea will not make it as silent as you may believe or want.
    This is due to the spring still going "BOING" and the internals doing what they have to do.

Hope this helps, have a listen if possible to other silenced springers to get an idea.
    Good luck.
    A fair number of springers, particularly carbine barrels, make a fair bit of muzzle blast. A silencer definately helps here. As for action noise, agreed it does, but twenty of thirty yards away it's not really a problem. Silencers do help, but the crack of pellet meeting skull can be loud enough to spook surrounding rabbits. Personally, I fit silencers to all my guns.
    Old age is mandatory, growing up is optional.

The original silencer , off my HW100 came off very easily. I held it over the gas hob for mere seconds but do use thick gloves.

Both mine and my brothers HW95K have had logun silencers fitted, and there is a huge drop in muzzle blast, and down range >20yards, you just hear a slight whoosh. It is definitely worth the money, though do watch that the silencer might need a few thou machined out to fit the barrel. You might be better getting it done by a good gunsmith.

The down side is the increased barrel length! Just adding the silencer to the barrel made it look and feel like a broom handle.
    We had 4" cut off the barrels, re-crowned etc without any loss of accuracy, and a small drop in power that was then tweaked back up. The gun is now about 1" longer than before with the muzzle weight, but the improvement is well worth the pain of seeing a lump chopped off the barrel.

I cannot remember for sure, but I thought that the muzzle weight was just held in place by a grub screw, no locktite. I suggest you slacken it off and try it. Do get your silencer locktite'ed on though, since it takes a fair amount of force every time you break the barrel.
    HW95K .22 + Simmons 44mag 6.5-20x44 + Logun Silencer;
    HW95K .177 + Simmons Aetec 4-14x44 + Logun Silencer;