Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW 45 Black Star

HW 45 Black Star

Good evening folks,

A returning member here.

My birthday was a couple of days ago, wifey bought me a new Black Star with the tru-glo sights.

Have to say, it's much better than the usual pistols, ie CP88, 240 Magnum etc but I have a concern....

The only thing is, it diesel's like a pig! The odd shot is clean but mostly produces visible smoke. Crack's like you wouldn't believe!

It really difficult to get any meaningful results on a paper target, to sight it in. I don't suppose my "wand like" technique is helping much but I can't help but think the dieseling isn't helping?

Has anyone gone though this? I don't particularly want to strip a brand new gun and wondered if anyone here had any meaningful advice?

Your thoughts?

Welcome back Bilko,
    I have the same pistol , still deiseling after 1 year 😫
    How I see it is You do 2 things ,
    1 shoot the thing till it stops and then
    2 Take it do bits and degrease it .

Yes like Me You don’t want to do that , it may be the only way ,
    hopefully someone else turns up with an alternative answer and tells You 👍

Paul

They all do it.
    Two hundred shots can bashing to run it in.
    Then try targets.

If it’s .177
    You will get better results on half cock.
    You also have to set the sights to the power you use.

Oddly the high power shoots lower.

They are easy to strip. I put a TBT kit in whilst it was apart, degreased and cleaned. No more dieseling.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Stripped mine, cleaned it - reassembled it practically dry (which I hated doing) and it still dieselled
    I cured mine by selling the piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilko130 View Post
    Good evening folks,

A returning member here.

My birthday was a couple of days ago, wifey bought me a new Black Star with the tru-glo sights.

Have to say, it's much better than the usual pistols, ie CP88, 240 Magnum etc but I have a concern....

The only thing is, it diesel's like a pig! The odd shot is clean but mostly produces visible smoke. Crack's like you wouldn't believe!

It really difficult to get any meaningful results on a paper target, to sight it in. I don't suppose my "wand like" technique is helping much but I can't help but think the dieseling isn't helping?

Has anyone gone though this? I don't particularly want to strip a brand new gun and wondered if anyone here had any meaningful advice?

Your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    They all do it.
    Two hundred shots can bashing to run it in.
    Then try targets.

If it’s .177
    You will get better results on half cock.
    You also have to set the sights to the power you use.

Oddly the high power shoots lower.
    Welcome back, Bilko.

Re getting accurate with the '45. It's usually just a case of spending time with it and getting to know how it prefers to be held rather than the dieselling affecting accuracy. Keep practising; you'll get there.

Re the pistol shooting lower on high power. This is just the result of muzzle flip in reverse, so muzzle DIP, with the piston travelling back towards the shooter on the compression stroke, causing the muzzle to dip down.

The dieselling generally won't hurt anything. One thing you can do, as much as it goes seemingly against the grain, is to dry fire the pistol a couple of times to help form the PTFE seal to the cylinder. PTFE has no memory and "creeps", so will expand to, hopefully, form a better seal.

Fantastic pistols with fine accuracy, great trigger and bags of character. Enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

HW 45 Black Star

Thank you all for your advice.

I'm very tempted to strip it and clean everything of lube because the dieseling is horrendous!

However, the warranty issue is stopping me atm.

I don't quite know if I'm ready to dry fire a brand new pistol, your right... That really does go against the grain...

Tried it again every day this week, in the back garden at about 6 meters. I would say every 4th shot is clean, then plumes of smoke for the rest...

Smells nice though...

Again, my thanks to you all.

Cool HW 45 thoughts

As others have said dieseling 'normal; with these.

It's NOT the cause of inaccurate shooting tho.

Just spend a lot of time getting the 'feel' of the gun and don't feel the need to fiddle with sight adjustments at this stage. Once you find that your shots are starting to end up on the same place is the time to start thinking of sight adjustments.

Two 'common' faults that people using these pistols are their grip and 'anticipating' the recoil.

Your grip needs to be nothing more than firm (and consistent) the gun isn't going to jump out of your hands so no need for a stranglehold on it.

'Anticipating' the recoil is not uncommon and links in to having a firm and consistent grip. Even a slight 'anticipation leads to an involuntary, albeit small, change of grip. Remember - the gun sounds loud and impressive when fired but the recoil won't make it jump out of you hands.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

I have the silver star variant and it has just calmed down on the dieselling after about 500 shots. The first 10 it was smoking like a live fire after being shot, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy it 😜
    It is better to be thought dumb and keep one's mouth shut, than to open it and remove all doubt......

I have the 45. I put in the TBT plastic bits and reduced the length of the original HW spring and polished the ends - a lovely smooth and reduced recoil action now. Despite very little lubing of spring and guides/“top-hat” (and a few thousand pellets) it still diesels for the first few minutes of each shooting session.

Agree with people above, grouping is affected by hold. I have lightened the trigger weight, fettled the sears and re-lubbed them, the result is a very nice and consistent trigger action.

BigEars Guest
    Dieselling and smoke are all part of the fun of HW45 shooting. Your wife is definitely a keeper. I had one in 0.22. the pistol , that is.

Had a silver star for a while.

Just got new enthusiasm for it after using a very well used one on a 10m range at the Ashbury hotel and finding it very accurate.

Lots of digging online comes up with tbt kit to smooth it out and Aussie seal on the piston to control lubricant burning.

Will report back when I have rebuilt it.

I’ll buy it if you’ve had enough

same here

just put about 2.5 tins of pellets through my new 45 and its starting to smooth out and stop smoking,,,it still smokes now and then though

Disassemble

Quote Originally Posted by 3legs View Post
    They are easy to strip. I put a TBT kit in whilst it was apart, degreased and cleaned. No more dieseling.
    I've done the TBT kit in my .22. It's quite nice. It is relatively easy to break down. Good luck.