Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW 45 Black Star

I've got the silver star, has upwards of 500 pellets through it and it still diesels like a bitch most shots. Made the mistake of shooting it in the garage for the first shot, nearly deafened me and trashed the pellet catcher I was using.....
    It is better to be thought dumb and keep one's mouth shut, than to open it and remove all doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by Markmelesky View Post
    I've done the TBT kit in my .22. It's quite nice. It is relatively easy to break down. Good luck.
    My Silver Star 0.177 was desieling every couple of shots. Fitted TBT kit today and it's totally transformed it. I totally cleaned away all the original grease from the inside of the cylinder and piston. I removed 2 coils from the spring then retrimmed and ground where I'd removed the coils. Lightly greased (with the TBT grease supplied) the back of the piston and spring and re-built using the TBT kit. The pistol is now easier to cock and shoots with less recoil and no dieseling. Chronoed at 514 fps (4.95 ft/lbs) using JSB Exact 8.44 grains. Variation of 4 fps over 20 shots. Accuracy at 10 yards is now on a par with my recoiless FAS 6004.

Quote Originally Posted by S Hebby View Post
    My Silver Star 0.177 was desieling every couple of shots. Fitted TBT kit today and it's totally transformed it. I totally cleaned away all the original grease from the inside of the cylinder and piston. I removed 2 coils from the spring then retrimmed and ground where I'd removed the coils. Lightly greased (with the TBT grease supplied) the back of the piston and spring and re-built using the TBT kit. The pistol is now easier to cock and shoots with less recoil and no dieseling. Chronoed at 514 fps (4.95 ft/lbs) using JSB Exact 8.44 grains. Variation of 4 fps over 20 shots. Accuracy at 10 yards is now on a par with my recoiless FAS 6004.
    Just now tested over chrono again. First shot desieled and read 557 fps then settled to around 515 fps for next 20 shots with no more dieseling shots.

Quote Originally Posted by S Hebby View Post
    Just now tested over chrono again. First shot desieled and read 557 fps then settled to around 515 fps for next 20 shots with no more dieseling shots.

Cool. The HW45 is in my top 5 pistols for sure. Yeah ,isn't that kit nice. What I took from that is now on rebuilds I slip in nylon washers where I can. Reducing some metal on metal. Just got a nice assortment of nylon washers from Amazon. It adds a bit more compression on one the spring. The preload.
    I'm resealing my Diana mod. 10 and I've slipped in some at the bottom of the spring guide tubes where the springs rest. I finally got around to mastering the reseal for the Mod's 6 and 10 which have the Giss system. Of all the different types of recoil containment I think the Giss does the best job. They are nice to shoot,a little strange even at first. I always like a nice spring piston recoiler though. Have you noticed the smoothness in the cocking and firing ? It's worth the light power reduction when the spring is shortened I think.You gain some back when the nylon washers/bushings are installed. I've never had much dieseling from my 45's. Right now I've got all three calibers. I'll be selling one soon,the 20 cal. I'm putting a bunch of items up for sale in the next day or two.10 or 12 pistols and some assorted hand grips and barrels. One barrel is a .22 cal. for the HW 45. .....Well I'm rambling....Gonna go run up to my pistol nook and shoot before the
    Mrs. gets home. Chow

All of my HW45 have dieseled, not so much the Black Star. Don't bother me, a bit of smoke.

From my viewpoint the best thing I have to to improve the accuracy of my HW45/Blact Star is to follow Jimmy Dee's trigger adjustment.

Explained in great detail and easy to follow.

All videos on his Web site.

https://www.jimmiedeesairguns.com/ma...er-adjustment/

Good luck, Phil

Is it a difficult pistol to work on? Dieseling is just an abundant amount of grease ? Can't you clean it?

Dennis

Nylon washers

Quote Originally Posted by Markmelesky View Post
    Cool. The HW45 is in my top 5 pistols for sure. Yeah ,isn't that kit nice. What I took from that is now on rebuilds I slip in nylon washers where I can. Reducing some metal on metal. Just got a nice assortment of nylon washers from Amazon. It adds a bit more compression on one the spring. The preload.
    I'm resealing my Diana mod. 10 and I've slipped in some at the bottom of the spring guide tubes where the springs rest. I finally got around to mastering the reseal for the Mod's 6 and 10 which have the Giss system. Of all the different types of recoil containment I think the Giss does the best job. They are nice to shoot,a little strange even at first. I always like a nice spring piston recoiler though. Have you noticed the smoothness in the cocking and firing ? It's worth the light power reduction when the spring is shortened I think.You gain some back when the nylon washers/bushings are installed. I've never had much dieseling from my 45's. Right now I've got all three calibers. I'll be selling one soon,the 20 cal. I'm putting a bunch of items up for sale in the next day or two.10 or 12 pistols and some assorted hand grips and barrels. One barrel is a .22 cal. for the HW 45. .....Well I'm rambling....Gonna go run up to my pistol nook and shoot before the
    Mrs. gets home. Chow
    . Do you have a link for the washers

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    They all do it.
    Two hundred shots can bashing to run it in.
    Then try targets.

If it’s .177
    You will get better results on half cock.
    You also have to set the sights to the power you use.

Oddly the high power shoots lower.
    Thanks for the validation on the sighting change between the high and low power. So, it's not just me.

Indeed not.
    Can be puzzling if you don't know.

HI i have a silver star as ive stated in my intro http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....y-sunny-Bolton
    and i love it mine seems to be but have put at least 1 yin of pellets through it in the 3 weeks ive had it lol
    The only person to get anything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe