Thread: Best beam scales for reloading?

Ruger_shooter is offline Meadowlark Lemon's Personal Tailor

Best beam scales for reloading?

What do you beam scale users recommend as the best i.e. accurate / repeatable / reliable beam scales for reloading. Not interested in digital.

boff180 Guest
    I have an RCBS 502 beam scale which I find very accurate and consistent. Purchased after my kit came with a Lyman digital scale which was very inconsistent and needs constant re-zeroing.

I also now have the RCBS auto powder thrower which is electronic but just as accurate and reliable as the beam scale.

Andy

I have an rcbs 10/10 scale which I find very accurate, however mines is a USA made model, I did hear that rcbs later moved production to Mexico and the quality dropped but I've no personal experience of this.

If you can find one the RCBS (Ohaus) 304 aka ‘dail-a-grain’ are pretty nice

All the common RCBS scales use exactly the same knife edge/floating agate bearing set-up so none is more accurate than the other. The 502 is a simple two poise scale, the 505 a three poise scale, not necessarily better, some prefer it for easier setting but it adds something else where errors can creep in. The 5-10 and 10/10 use exactly the same beam with a rotary poise system. All these scale are now discontinued, they were dropped by RCBS around 4 years ago. They have been replaced by two new beam scales, the M500 and M1000.

All RCBS scale (made by Ohaus) produced for the last 8-9 years were either made in Mexico or China with variable quality.

A Redding No 2 is usually a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    If you can find one the RCBS (Ohaus) 304 aka ‘dail-a-grain’ are pretty nice
    Hens teeth Terry.

Ruger_shooter is offline Meadowlark Lemon's Personal Tailor
    Guy thanks for the informative replies. Redding No 2 is on order, this was highly rated on other forums as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_shooter View Post
    Guy thanks for the informative replies. Redding No 2 is on order, this was highly rated on other forums as well.
    Good choice. Here's a video of a Redding No 2 in action, this ones nearly fifty years old and still going strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz2SWCjj5e4

The finest beam scale you can get is the Ohaus Dial-O-Grain, i nearly bought one but realised they are set up for a left handed trickle so i use the second best RCBS 10-10s

TB.

love the idea of camera mounted and tv monitor , saves the old eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    The finest beam scale you can get is the Ohaus Dial-O-Grain, i nearly bought one but realised they are set up for a left handed trickle so i use the second best RCBS 10-10s

TB.
    What’s wrong with LH trickled? :P

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0eGThfOYsrA

Brgds Terry