Thread: I need a bit of advice with using Maccari tar, please

I need a bit of advice with using Maccari tar, please

Thanks to a kindly American person on here, I've now got some Maccari tar with which to attempt to 'slow down' a pair of TX200SRs. Both of the rifles are borderline 12 ft/lb, and have Chambers rear spring-guide discs, which I'd like to keep in there, despite the fact that their presence increases the spring pre-load somewhat.

Obviously the springs need to be completely degreased before putting any tar on, but the question is this:

Do I need to remove any Moly grease from inside the back ends of the pistons and the rear spring guides, or is it the case that any grease there will have no effect on the tar applied to the clean springs?

Any help with tips regarding the application of the tar itself would be gratefully received, like how much to use, for instance.

Incidentally, when Mrs P opened package that the tar came in, she wrinkled her nose up and said, "Ewww - why the hell has someone sent you a dog turd in a little pot..."

D R Guest
    Quote from:

Maccari Spring Tar

'Apply tar only to the OD. of the spring barely covering each coil. Fingers are the best application method-sad to say.' Moly grease seems to be the lube of choice for guides etc.

D R

Quote Originally Posted by D R
    'Apply tar only to the OD. of the spring barely covering each coil. Fingers are the best application method-sad to say.' Moly grease seems to be the lube of choice for guides etc.

D R
    Which is how I did a hot 77 the other day. Worked too well in my case as I needed to fit 'more than the usual' number of spacers to get the power back up.
    Must admit though, it does improve the firing cycle over other lubes.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

Quote Originally Posted by Davestate
    Which is how I did a hot 77 the other day. Worked too well in my case as I needed to fit 'more than the usual' number of spacers to get the power back up.
    Must admit though, it does improve the firing cycle over other lubes.
    Dave

What did it reduce the power from and to, mate?

Pete

Originally it was 12.7ftlbs, upon stripping the 77 was caked in moly, good degrease and a light greasing plus the tar on the spring so it kicking out 9ftlbs.
    Rgds,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Davestate
    Originally it was 12.7ftlbs, upon stripping the 77 was caked in moly, good degrease and a light greasing plus the tar on the spring so it kicking out 9ftlbs.
    Thanks

Since presumably all the 'decelerative effect' of the tar is caused by the increased stickiness between the coils, I'm guessing that a thorough degreasing of the cylinder wall isn't strictly necessary.

Is that a reasonable assumption?
    Last edited by 12" phut; 30-09-2005 at 10:52 AM.

Not if you've done it recently Pete, just clean the spring assembly & piston.
    Rgds,
    Dave.

DR and Dave

Thanks for your help.

I did have a look through the Maccari site for instructions like those, but I think I looked in all the wrong places...