Thread: Hello from Caldicot

Hello from Caldicot

I'm new on here so any hints and tips, details of places to shoot, local shoots, local gun clubs, anything really is most welcome.
    Ok so a little about me/us.
    Shot a Diana and a Webley .22 when I was a kid, moved on to shotguns, then moved on to 7.62 with the SLR and Sterling and a lot of other stuff that went bang.
    Did a bit of shotgun but not really shot anything for 10 years.
    My boys have previously expressed an interest but more recently nagged me to get an airgun and finally I conceded.
    Found this site and came on here for some advice and then visited a gun shop in Cwmbran.
    We looked through the racks and there was a good selection.
    I wanted something space age, modern, no more .22 springers, I wanted .177, light and easy, PCP or CO2, black or camo, thumbhole etc.
    I picked up Gamos and Remingtons and made reference to COD, Luke and I even made the light sabre noise (we all do it) but to no avail, for some reason they wanted vintage and timber!
    They took a liking to the oldest and heaviest gun on the rack, an old .22 HW80. I know it's old cos it has the made in W Germany stamp on it!
    I begged and pleaded, made more references to COD but after 30 minutes we left the shop with the HW80!
    It came with a sight, bag and pellets so we brought it home.
    We set up in the garden, zeroed it and it shot well but sounded twangy, I thought it needed some TLC and a tune.
    Went on here for a look and found Lyn at airrifletuner@hotmail.com who luckily is only a mile away!
    We went to see Lyn, he's a lovely bloke, gave us lots of advice, and he told us its an early 1980's mark 1, in need of TLC, he's suggested putting a V-Mach kit in it, and a better sight and so we spun a wheel and done a deal and met his awesome cat! (I'm not a cat person but that is an awesome cat).
    Lyn's got it for a week or so, and now we are waiting the return of our HW80.
    Funny how it goes, I hadn't missed shooting, and I only fired about 30 rounds through the old girl before we took it to Lyn's, but I miss it already.
    I will let you know how it goes.
    Regards
    N
    Last edited by NPKitely; 27-10-2018 at 08:06 AM.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by NPKitely View Post
    I'm new on here so any hints and tips, details of places to shoot, local shoots, local gun clubs, anything really is most welcome.
    Ok so a little about me/us.
    Shot a Diana and a Webley .22 when I was a kid, moved on to shotguns, then moved on to 7.62 with the SLR and Sterling and a lot of other stuff that went bang.
    Did a bit of shotgun but not really shot anything for 10 years.
    My boys have previously expressed an interest but more recently nagged me to get an airgun and finally I conceded.
    Found this site and came on here for some advice and then visited a gun shop in Cwmbran.
    We looked through the racks and there was a good selection.
    I wanted something space age, modern, no more .22 springers, I wanted .177, light and easy, PCP or CO2, black or camo, thumbhole etc.
    I picked up Gamos and Remingtons and made reference to COD, Luke and I even made the light sabre noise (we all do it) but to no avail, for some reason they wanted vintage and timber!
    They took a liking to the oldest and heaviest gun on the rack, an old .22 HW80. I know it's old cos it has the made in W Germany stamp on it!
    I begged and pleaded, made more references to COD but after 30 minutes we left the shop with the HW80!
    It came with a sight, bag and pellets so we brought it home.
    We set up in the garden, zeroed it and it shot well but sounded twangy, I thought it needed some TLC and a tune.
    Went on here for a look and found Lyn at airrifletuner@hotmail.com who luckily is only a mile away!
    We went to see Lyn, he's a lovely bloke, gave us lots of advice, and he told us its an early 1980's mark 1, in need of TLC, he's suggested putting a V-Mach kit in it, and a better sight and so we spun a wheel and done a deal and met his awesome cat! (I'm not a cat person but that is an awesome cat).
    Lyn's got it for a week or so, and now we are waiting the return of our HW80.
    Funny how it goes, I hadn't missed shooting, and I only fired about 30 rounds through the old girl before we took it to Lyn's, but I miss it already.
    I will let you know how it goes.
    Regards
    N
    Hi NPK and welcome to the BBS, very interesting and comprehensive intro there . Get yourself in the General Airgun Section as these Intro pages can be quiet at times.

Paul
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22