Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which beginner pistol for 20 yards

Which beginner pistol for 20 yards

Hi all, I've been shooting 20 yard pistol at my local club for about 6 months now and am getting the itch to buy my own gun. The club guns are Walther LP201's, which are fantastic but would like the benefit of my own gun to setup for myself.

I previously thought buying a decent gun was going to be too expensive but looking at the likes of the Baikal IZH-46M my mind has changed. However any description I've seen states it's a great 10 metre gun do they drop off at longer ranges? I'm struggling to find information.

Thanks for any help.

Jamie.

Every 10m pistol will drop at 20 yrds.
    Only pistol I use at that distance or further is my silhouet airpistol (Tau 7 silhouet).
    With its longer barrel it can have higher speeds (and accuracy because longer sightline)
    No experience with the Baikal. Allthough general consensus seems to be theyre very fine matchguns.
    ATB,
    yana

The 6 ftlb rule will limit your velocity to around the 550 fps mark so, yes, even if adjusted to the limit you will still get significant drop at longer ranges. If using any form of optical sight, then length of sight base is not a problem but a shorter barrel will make it harder to achieve the higher velocity.

Jamie,

My Tau 7 Match & Baikal MP46-M, both give ca. 475 fps with JSB Match (Green, 7.33 gr.) pellets.

The Tau 7 can be adjusted upwards in velocity at the cost of shot count (I get ca. 65 shots per CO2 caplet @ 475 fps), and possibly accuracy.

Most of the modern ten (10) meter PCPs, shoot around 500 - 525 fps with the same weight of pellet.

So, all these pistols will shoot similarly at twenty (20) yards.

Unfortunately, the price of the Baikal MP46-M now has risen to p!ss taking levels

(A couple of years ago, I got mine brand new from the Sportsman Gun Centre for £269)

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

What about FAS 604 ? I shoot mine at 20 yards. Also, how about something different, a Co2 gun perhaps a Condor 5 shot auto, another one I shoot at 20 Yds. Plenty of choices out there, just seen a nice cased Walther Model 2 sell on G/Trader for £245.
    Last edited by vbull; 27-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Hey thank you for all the info, it's been interesting researching the velocities of the various pistols out there. So the Baikal velocity is potentially not far from what I've seen on the 20 yard range. Not sure about the Walther but the other gun, an air arms Alfa, I've read is around the 500fps mark.

I like the idea of single stroke pneumatic just because I never have to worry about running out and the stroke action may become as natural as the lever action when loading the Walther.

CO2 is a possibility too.

Cheers.

Ive seen an Aeron B96 shot at 25metres at Bisley with a very high score,on rapid fire

The Fas604 and Gamo compact are low velocity even for 10 mtr and only just make clean holes at 10 mtr's, The IZH46 would probably be OK but as already mentioned these now command quite high prices, Any of the PCP match guns will work fine, I shoot both my Morini 162ei and Steyr LP5 at 10 meter, 20 yard & 25 meter on a regular basis without any issues and make very little alteration to the sights,

I also used to shoot my Tau7 and Walther CP2's at 20 yard, There are some real bargains to be had with the CO2 offerings especially if you are prepared to bulk fill pistols such as the Walther CP1, CP2 , FWB C25 etc can be purchased for around £200 and they are superb pistols, many get scared off my this method of filling but it really is very easy either using a CO2 cylinder or old fire extinguisher,

atb
    Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Had not realised there was that much flexibility with the CO2 system, very similar to PCP when bulk filling from a large cylinder. Thanks I'll keep an eye for a good deal from all systems.

I manage ok with my 604 at 20 yards but like you say it is on the limit but I've found indoors still accurate enough. Value for money I really think the FWB mod 2 takes some beating, if you can find one, and easy enough to fill.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

There are two C2's on Freeads at the moment, sadly not that close to Devon...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

I’ve been shooting my Morini 162ei at 20 yards, I don’t need to adjust the sights from shooting at 10m.

As per Nige have a look at the co2 pistols, I’ve shot my Walther CPM-1 at 20 yards and it shoots as well as the Morini. The co2 pistols are very good value but bear in mind they are getting old so spares and repairs may be a problem.

One thing to bear in mind is that on most co2 pistols the cylinders will be past their expiry date which means they would not be allowed to be used in open ‘shoulder to shoulder’ competitions as the cylinders would be checked at weapons control.

If you are serious about shooting then consider investing in a Feinwerkbau, Morini, Walther or Steyr pcp pistol, more expensive. Everyone has their favourites, but it’s a case of finding what suits you.

Happy shooting

Welcome to the minefield of buying your first pistol. I've shoot 10m and 20 yard pistol for a few years with an FWB 65 and 80(god do i ever regret selling that), Morini 162ei and a Steyr lp10. I pick-up all these second hand and did not lose money on any of them. So £400-£600 for a second hand pcp pistol may seam like a lot of money but they hold there value and they sell quick, sometimes far too quick (blink and you'll miss it). Co2 pistols tend to hang around for a while. Don't get me wrong they will still shoot better than you can or me for that matter, but pcp is far less aggravation.
    The best advice is to try as many as you can, not always easy I know but ask around your club and see who is shooting what because they all feel very different. Don't worry about the grip size or shape as you will make yours suit you. Just get a feel for it's weight, balance and how it moves when you release the shoot. Yes they do move, some more than others but you will and should feel the shot go.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Discocom View Post

One thing to bear in mind is that on most co2 pistols the cylinders will be past their expiry date which means they would not be allowed to be used in open ‘shoulder to shoulder’ competitions as the cylinders would be checked at weapons control.
    This is no longer the case; when the competition regulators realised that by declaring say, a 9 year old cylinder as safe, they would be liable for any injury if it were to fail.

They soon dropped this regulation...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    This is no longer the case; when the competition regulators realised that by declaring say, a 9 year old cylinder as safe, they would be liable for any injury if it were to fail.

They soon dropped this regulation...
    I did’nt know that, does it also apply to pcp rifle and pistol compressed air cylinders too?
    Last edited by Discocom; 28-10-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Typo