Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want a new break barell.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    HW30, HW99 Diana 34
    Kids gun. junior gun. Adult gun

As for the Umarex lgv (Walther is just a logo) they are OK if you don't like tuning and want something out of the box that should be OK and they seem to have a small fan crowd that like them but the turn off is the trigger, weight, looks, and spares availability.
    If you like the 34 have a look at the SFS version

PS. IF you do contact SFS ask them if they know if the new 34 is still made in Germany or Bulgaria

I've had a 34 and the trigger on the Walther once set up is lighter and just as crisp and they both suffer a long first stage even so I prefer the Walther unit.

The firing cycle on the Walther is much nicer than the 34 even when tuned I'm i m putting that down to the 25mm bore.

And then there is accuracy and now I'm not saying that Dianas aren't accurate as I know they are but mine needed droop compensating mounts and was pellet fussy where as the Walther has zero droop and a choked lothar Walther barrel......

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    [QUOTE=gwyn;7586826]
    HW30, HW99 Diana 34
    Kids gun. junior gun. Adult gun

As for the Umarex lgv (Walther is just a logo) they are OK if you don't like tuning and want something out of the box that should be OK and they seem to have a small fan crowd that like them but the turn off is the trigger, weight, looks, and spares availability.
    If you like the 34 have a look at the SFS version

MMM, you are a shirty bugger arn't you?
    I know all about the SFS conversions and stated at the start of the thread the only tests i have seen in the UK were of those that had been played with so of no interest.
    The LGV trigger?nothing wrong with it except it has two screws that the owners seem unable to leave alone!and then blame Walther !
    The looks of an LGV? beauty is in the eye of the beholder?
    Weight,well most top end rifles are around that weight arn't they
    Spare spring and piston seal was readily available from Umarex for my Terrus via an order from my local dealer.
    Oh, and i bought the kids gun,very nice it is too!
    NEXT?
    I know that die hard Umarex fans like the trigger but they have a cast shell case unit and a plastic trigger blade as the metal blade didn't pass the US drop test and you are right beauty is in the eyes of the beholder Chambers don't do spares like all the others.
    I am a little surprised that you are not impressed with the SFS 34
    But if you like this type of set up that is fine with me

Quote Originally Posted by gwyn View Post
    STEVE! HELLO!thank you for your offer,passed your home this morning on the by-pass heading to Skipton with an empty car, but returned an hour later via,Ilkley with an oblong shaped box on the back seat.And yes i am now the owner of a new HW30S !
    Stopped at the range for a couple of hours,scope sighted in at 10 yds to start and then out to 25yds, AND? very nice!the factory setting of the trigger was spot on for me,using Ruag Gecos it was nice and accurate,shot about 50-60 pellets and just left a very satisfying hole in the middle.
    I will swop the kit 4x32 for a spare 3-9x40 tomorrow.
    So did i make the right choice? Yes i think so,it is smooth, quiet, and nice handling.
    Thank you all for your input.
    Happy shooting all.
    Wise choice, Don. Enjoy!

Please pass on my regards to all at Ilkley.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Tinbum, the CZ631 has been around for a looooong time and i believe has quite a good reputation,i dont think it has changed in 20 yrs?BUT you cant buy what the dealers dont stock,and there is no one up north that does.

Pickering guns is listing a Slavia Lux, could be worth a look? I did some work on TonyL's and was suprised by the dimensions, build quality and factory piston bearings as standard. It was a little "boingy" to start with, but that is true of almost all springers.

Good choice with the HW30 though, but it will benefit greatly from a strip, degrease, burr removal and decent relube when you feel brave.
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Just my 2-Cents.

A HW30s and HW50s need a tremendous amount of work and input to bring them to the standard of a LGV out of the box.

Due to the small system and power output of the HW30 generally no plugging/bearing of piston is necessary but you're still left with the annoying galling problem.
    To get rid of it is easy for an experienced self tuner with tools and workshop but quite impossible for a general shooter.
    So - so called professional tuners with a more likely fabricated record of progress come into business.

Same counts for the HW50S.
    I fettled some of them including HW50 MkII (with the Perfekt trigger) but otherwise absolutely identical.
    Didn't see ONE so far without the well known galling problem - even with the "new" plastic insert in the longer part of the cocking lever.
    A more than rubbish design from the very beginning of production decades ago.

Going up the HW-models no more galling problems due to the one-piece cocking levers but especially in the newer productions excessive tolerances inside the system thus including the underlevers. No chance to get a smooth system without plugging piston AND compression tube.
    You may ask why I know?
    Fettled so far some HW77/97 of newer production but recently an HW77/.177 of 1993 - perfect fit of piston to compression tube to system tube. Max tolerance 0,1 mm roundabout - no bearings/plugs needed. At ANY of the newer models these tolerances at least doubles.

ALL of these tunes you get from a WALTHER LGV/LGU just out of the box.

By some commentators the only "highlighted" minus of the WALTHERs is said to be the trigger. The last resort is the case of the trigger housing.
    Shame on you.
    How many times do you intend to open the case?
    If ever do it once and make your job. Problem finished.
    Trigger ready for many many thousand perfectly released shots.
    And BTW don't forget - you lads on your island get the metal tuning trigger blade from new. We here on the continent have to deal with the so called "plastic" (what's wrong with plastic?) trigger blade which is not that bad as described but anyway have to pay and to install "your" metal tuning trigger blade at additional cost ourselves.

I admit me myself reporting about trigger problems with LGV/LGU but this is years back meanwhile and obviously were a teething problem sorted long time ago.
    Never ever found such faults in the later products.

BTW - so far didn't find any Rekord or CD trigger that didn't profit from a proper clean, sear polish and relube.
    Same as the WALTHER XM.
    So simple.

My conclusion based on MY facts -
    IF you can and want handle some extra weight to the advantage of accuracy down at the target WITHOUT the need of tuning right after unpacking - get a LGV/LGU.
    Forget any HW.
    And STRICTLY AVOID any DIANA with a T01/T05 trigger. (edited 29.10.2018)

BTW - I'm no dealer, under no circumstances connected to the companies involved, just a fettler out of interest and shooter.

Have fun.

Andy from Austria
    Last edited by pelletcaster; 29-10-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: two words were missing

Quote Originally Posted by pelletcaster View Post
    Just my 2-Cents.

A HW30s and HW50s need a tremendous amount of work and input to bring them to the standard of a LGV out of the box.

Due to the small system and power output of the HW30 generally no plugging/bearing of piston is necessary but you're still left with the annoying galling problem.
    To get rid of it is easy for an experienced self tuner with tools and workshop but quite impossible for a general shooter.
    So - so called professional tuners with a more likely fabricated record of progress come into business.

Same counts for the HW50S.
    I fettled some of them including HW50 MkII (with the Perfekt trigger) but otherwise absolutely identical.
    Didn't see ONE so far without the well known galling problem - even with the "new" plastic insert in the longer part of the cocking lever.
    A more than rubbish design from the very beginning of production decades ago.

Going up the HW-models no more galling problems due to the one-piece cocking levers but especially in the newer productions excessive tolerances inside the system thus including the underlevers. No chance to get a smooth system without plugging piston AND compression tube.
    You may ask why I know?
    Fettled so far some HW77/97 of newer production but recently an HW77/.177 of 1993 - perfect fit of piston to compression tube to system tube. Max tolerance 0,1 mm roundabout - no bearings/plugs needed. At ANY of the newer models these tolerances at least doubles.

ALL of these tunes you get from a WALTHER LGV/LGU just out of the box.

By some commentators the only "highlighted" minus of the WALTHERs is said to be the trigger. The last resort is the case of the trigger housing.
    Shame on you.
    How many times do you intend to open the case?
    If ever do it once and make your job. Problem finished.
    Trigger ready for many many thousand perfectly released shots.
    And BTW don't forget - you lads on your island get the metal tuning trigger blade from new. We here on the continent have to deal with the so called "plastic" (what's wrong with plastic?) trigger blade which is not that bad as described but anyway have to pay and to install "your" metal tuning trigger blade at additional cost ourselves.

I admit me myself reporting about trigger problems with LGV/LGU but this is years back meanwhile and obviously were a teething problem sorted long time ago.
    Never ever found such faults in the later products.

BTW - so far didn't find any Rekord or CD trigger that didn't profit from a proper clean, sear polish and relube.
    Same as the WALTHER XM.
    So simple.

My conclusion based on MY facts -
    IF you can and want handle some extra weight to the advantage of accuracy down at the target WITHOUT the need of tuning right after unpacking - get a LGV/LGU.
    Forget any HW.
    And any DIANA with a T01/T05 trigger.

BTW - I'm no dealer, under no circumstances connected to the companies involved, just a fettler out of interest and shooter.

Have fun.

Andy from Austria
    I can see that you are a die hard LGV/LGU fan Andy

I agree with a lot of what you say about the small HW's but sorry I don't agree much about the LGV/LGU.

First for a bit of fun, was you first impressed by the LGV advert LOL, I know a woman was one of the designers of the LGV but don't you think this was a bit over the top for a gun advert
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSgMpAQBddY

Anyway one of the things that you say in your post is that there is no problem with a shell case housing for the trigger and one dismantle is enough, but even if it was would you not like the option to strip it as many times as you liked without concern about stripping the soft thread in the case.
    You also mention about the trigger blade and that UK buyers should go for the metal blade, but don't you ever wonder why the metal blade wasn't fitted to all LGV/LGU's Why would they bother fitting plastic triggers when most shotters like metal. Some American website say it's because of the the drop test in the US and some other countries. I understand that the metal trigger has now been stopped in the UK.
    As a side note LGV/LGU owners might be interest in looking at one of Hector's blogs about a interesting custom metal trigger
    https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/hect...er-lgu-and-lgv

You mention the Diana T01/T05 trigger's I agree with you about the T05 but disagree about the T01

BTW who does make the LGV/LGU

Barry, i dont have a problem with the cast trigger housing,my terrus has more simple unit with the only adjustment being first stage,i shortened it a bit and its just fine for me.
    As i said before my local Umarex dealer ordered me a main spring and piston seal no problem,these were ordered as just in case for when i stripped it if needed.
    Over all a well built hefty gun.
    Tinbum,i think the CZ was originaly sold as a training rifle for rimfire shooters to use indoors during bad winters,hence the semi target style stock and the short scope grooves,possibly more for diopter use? and the power level of around8ft lb.
    But well built as you say,probably not seen much of because of lack of importer promotion and the comics critisising its power level?
    Steve, thank you,if passing the club pop in i will make you a free tea or coffee but it will cost you 30p for a chocky biscuit!
    By the way,what pellet have you found good?i am running in on Geco's,they seem pretty good,i use Falcon 4.52 in my Terrus and S400, so the light weight should work well with the 30.?
    I will pass on your regards to all ta.
    Put another 60 plus pellets through the new HW30 this after noon ,very happy with my purchase.
    Strangely barely any difference in POI between Geco,JSB express and HW fields.
    Happy shooting all.

Smile

I can see that you are a die hard LGV/LGU fan Andy

I agree with a lot of what you say about the small HW's but sorry I don't agree much about the LGV/LGU.

First for a bit of fun, was you first impressed by the LGV advert LOL, I know a woman was one of the designers of the LGV but don't you think this was a bit over the top for a gun advert
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSgMpAQBddY

Anyway one of the things that you say in your post is that there is no problem with a shell case housing for the trigger and one dismantle is enough, but even if it was would you not like the option to strip it as many times as you liked without concern about stripping the soft thread in the case.
    You also mention about the trigger blade and that UK buyers should go for the metal blade, but don't you ever wonder why the metal blade wasn't fitted to all LGV/LGU's Why would they bother fitting plastic triggers when most shotters like metal. Some American website say it's because of the the drop test in the US and some other countries. I understand that the metal trigger has now been stopped in the UK.
    As a side note LGV/LGU owners might be interest in looking at one of Hector's blogs about a interesting custom metal trigger
    https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/hect...er-lgu-and-lgv

You mention the Diana T01/T05 trigger's I agree with you about the T05 but disagree about the T01

BTW who does make the LGV/LGU

Hi Barry,

I like this conversation. LOL Really.

No - I'm not a die hard LGU/LGV fan but I like the quality of these airguns.
    They are much better built than the corresponding HW models and IMHO better suited to your sub-12fpe limit.

You hit the point about the advert.
    For me it was and is a tasteless joke. Hoping they fired the marketing manager.

I didn't know that one of the designers was a woman but IMHO that didn't hurt so far.
    Who is this lady?

Concerning the plastic trigger I found a nearly three years old thread - looks like initiated by you.
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thed...st-t13606.html
    For me it's still a myth why they sell the guns with different trigger blades.
    May be just some marketing to give the dealers a possibility to make some extra money?

I read all Hectors blogs about the WALTHER and much more - top man.
    Learned a lot from him. I think from you too - thanks.

About the DIANA triggers - I had to edit my original post as two words were missing. See above .

Yes - WALTHER LGV/LGU and other models are under the umbrella of UMAREX.
    There are a lot of threads on the web where those specific models are made.
    So far I didn't find any other information but Germany.
    I don't bother as long as the keep the quality up.

BTW - I had to learn the hard way. Bought a s/h LGV Century Varmint just to find out that this is NOT the model sold in your country.
    You get the Century GT with the XM-trigger like LGV/LGU.
    My/the "simple" Century has the rudimentary XT-trigger (like Terrus, Parrus and Classus) - a shame on this otherwise very well fabricated airgun.

So really no die hard WALTHER fan.

Have fun.

Andy from Austria.

Steve, thank you,if passing the club pop in i will make you a free tea or coffee but it will cost you 30p for a chocky biscuit!
    By the way,what pellet have you found good?i am running in on Geco's,they seem pretty good,i use Falcon 4.52 in my Terrus and S400, so the light weight should work well with the 30.?
    I will pass on your regards to all ta.
    Put another 60 plus pellets through the new HW30 this after noon ,very happy with my purchase.
    Strangely barely any difference in POI between Geco,JSB express and HW fields.
    Happy shooting all.
    Cheers Don.

I use r10s and occasionally aa field. Mine isn’t pellet fussy either, but then I’m not bench resting and looking for mm accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by pelletcaster View Post
    Hi Barry,

I didn't know that one of the designers was a woman but IMHO that didn't hurt so far.
    Who is this lady?

Andy from Austria.
    Hi Andy, we will just have to have a friendly disagreement on a few things

Anyway Here is the lady and some other interesting things, I like the breech seal test I do something like that with my break barrels.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSq...tailpage#t=765
    I think that I have set the video in the right place if not just go through the episode