Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy ss Sidewinder

Tommy ss Sidewinder

I have a Tommy ss sidewinder and its a tad kicky , im sure they guys at venom know what they are doing but can anyone suggest how to obtain a smoother more gentle recoil ?
    at the moment it's like a gasram esq thud .

Cheers
    Steve
    If it's got tits or wheels it’s going to be expensive.....

As mentioned in a couple of current threads.
    Maccari tar should do the job.
    ATB
    Ray.

Tomahawkss is offline Nearly the "Last Man Standing"..... twice.
    I get very little recoil off mine, it is important to have a loose hold when you shoot, I am sure you know that anyway. How long have you had it how many shots have you put through it, does it need a service. i do not like the Tar lube, but prefer the moly based stuff MHO.
    Short Stroked Venom Tomahawk !

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawkss
    I get very little recoil off mine, it is important to have a loose hold when you shoot, I am sure you know that anyway. How long have you had it how many shots have you put through it, does it need a service. i do not like the Tar lube, but prefer the moly based stuff MHO.
    only had it a few weeks but im the 3rd owner from new and none of us have used it for more that a few 000 shots in total from new, it probaly not run in yet but it just feels a little too quick and rammy.

most of the other sidewinders are far slower recoil wise so im guessing my could do with a strip and re lube . its great as it is id just like it to be a tad slower and softer .

Awsome springer though ,just a minor niggle really and I need something to do over the winter

kick

Could be that venom fitted a number of metal washers or yourself? If so take them all out apart from one in front of the spring (the one that prevents the guide form marring). Most of the time they shoot better with only one washer. I had a .20 venom hornet once and it kicked like a mule with 3 rings, as a top hat. it produced low power, compared to just one washer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay
    Could be that venom fitted a number of metal washers or yourself? If so take them all out apart from one in front of the spring (the one that prevents the guide form marring). Most of the time they shoot better with only one washer. I had a .20 venom hornet once and it kicked like a mule with 3 rings, as a top hat. it produced low power, compared to just one washer.
    thats more like it , I havent opened her up yet but i will take a peek and see how many are there are the moment .
    i have a few washers spare from another rifle , i may as well take a few out and rebuild and put a few in as a measure

allright, but the message is: take the washers out of the rifle that kicks:-)!

swamprat Guest
    Sorry to ask a dumb question, but what calibre is it? Is it 177? I was impressed once by a smooth sidewinder, but it was a 22. Figured the 177 wouldn't be quite as smooth.

If you want it slower and softer you need to remove the short stroke (put in softer, shorter spring) and put more weight on the piston to keep power up. Trade quick lock time for greater swept volume. Everyone bangs on about the wonders of a quick lock time on here - are you sure you want to lose yours?

I'm not that knowledgable about all this, I'm only quoting from others who know more than me. You sound like you know what you are doing, and perhaps a relube is all it needs.

after a manic weekend I spent a few hours taking the sidewinder apart and doing a full rebuild , lets just say that even from new or one thats seen little useage a Venom rifle can be totally transformed buy a relube and a little TLC

im now getteing 3 fps over a 12 shot string , an awsome rifle has just got better

much softer recoil ,better groups as a result and only a loss of 20 or so FPS

What exactly did you do Steve only I have a 0.177 Sidewinder Compact that is not quite as smooth as you would expect for a Lazaglided job. If I can achieve what you have I'll be well chuffed.

Cheers

Jonathan

Might be a daft question but what are the washers that are being taken out supposed to do? Can't believe Venom would put 'em in if it makes the gun a little harsh if they don't serve another purpose.

daft?

... not at all daft. The washers are 'an extra' that some people like to put in, to have a heavy tophat (Venom supplies them with a kit for instance). That would -supposedly- drive the pellet more (more momentum). I have found that it is not always a welcome addition. The springs of Venom are good by themselves and a heavy tophat makes the gun jolt more, and often give less performance:-)! However the washers 'could' make a good rifle perfect, it al depends on the item at hand. The heavy tophat makes your friends green with envy, because the rifle behaves like a firearm ('wow man, what is that???', 'kickass-rifle'). But if you want it impress with smootheness and power/accuracy, leave them out. Fit only one to prevent the plastci topguide form marring insode the piston.

Rick,

Very interesting so thanks for that. I'm considering taking a peek inside my Sidewinder Compact 0.177 and removing all but one of the washers but if I'm honest I'm scared stiff of messing around in case I balls it up. Steve reckons it's pretty easy but I'm not so sure.

df

Hi, If the rifle is okay don't mess with it:-)!
    Only, and only if the rifle is 'bucking' under 'fire' you should 'go inside'. otherwise it is best left alone. But I know it is not always easy to resist, haha!

Rick,

Nope it ain't bucking just a little harsher than I would have expected. I have a 0.22 HW80 Lazahunter I'm comparing it with, which is as smooth as can be, so maybe not a fair comparison. I'm gonna take your advice and leave alone -for now.