Thread: 12G Shotshell Loading

12G Shotshell Loading

I'm looking at starting loading 12G cartridges on a small scale. I'm not interested in buying a MEC press or anything like that, just using basic hand tools.

I'm not doing this to save money so please don't suggest it's a waste of time unless I'm loading 1000's, I just want to do it for enjoyment.

So, any advice on case trimming tools, crimping tools etc. & powder recommendations would be great. Basically the stuff (aside from consumables) that I need to get going.

Much appreciated.

Cheers
    Greg

You might find an old 12ga Lee loader on ebaay, but they are not made any more and tend to go for a fair bit of ££

There is a Russian guy that makes a hand loader 253908200632 on the evil place. He does a nice roll crimper too.

The other cheap option is the Lee load all. About £70 new.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    You might find an old 12ga Lee loader on ebaay, but they are not made any more and tend to go for a fair bit of ££

There is a Russian guy that makes a hand loader 253908200632 on the evil place. He does a nice roll crimper too.

The other cheap option is the Lee load all. About £70 new.
    Just the kind of info I was after, thanks. That roll crimping tool looks fantastic for the money, I think I will purchase one!

Cheers
    Greg

Assuming you buy pre-primed virgin cases (which should not need resizing), you could very well get away with just a roll crimper.

The Lee Load All isn’t too bad if you want to reuse shells.

https://youtu.be/MQ15IhQWP2U

Folkestone Engineering Supplies can supply everything you need for shotshell reloading. Primed cases, wads, powder, shot, crimping tool. Talk to John he's a mine of information. He can post alot of stuff not powder though as far as I know. Also good web site listing what they sell.

Lee loadalls come up every now and again, or if you can find one the loadall junior might be the better option
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Lee loadall

I have just started loading black powder just for a laugh. Also half the price of commercial shells. Lee loadall with new plastic cases gives a lovely crimp if you get the load right. Problem now is buying black powder, no one wants to post it.

Clay and game are also good for supplies.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!