Thread: Missed a round of the Middlesex.

Missed a round of the Middlesex.

Hi Guys,

I totally got my dates wrong and missed round 2 of the Middlesex pistol/rifle shoot.
    The game is all but up now and we've barely started.
    Never going to come back after losing a round.

Is there a postal (or other) comp we (myself and my daughter) can start again at?
    I think this is the last postal comp my club will be involved in, so I may have distroyed our last chance.

Any advice would be great as I know nothing about comp shooting as this is my first shoot.

Thanks,
    Rob.

MPL Postal Competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Hi Guys,

I totally got my dates wrong and missed round 2 of the Middlesex pistol/rifle shoot.

Is there a postal (or other) comp we (myself and my daughter) can start again at?
    I think this is the last postal comp my club will be involved in, so I may have distroyed our last chance.

Any advice would be great as I know nothing about comp shooting as this is my first shoot.

Thanks,
    Rob.
    Hi Rob,

If you would be interested in shooting at 6 yards, our own MPL postal competition is very popular and we would welcome you and your daughter to join us if you have access to a spring powered or SSP air rifle or air pistol.

The competition is run along the lines that you are never too late to enter, and that you can submit your "monthly" scores at any time you like (early or late).

Each competition lasts for 6 months and the current one started in July and ends at the end of December this year - but it is not too late to enter!

All you have to do is shoot 6 targets per month, so you shoot your first six targets and then send in your scores (by email) as your "July" entry, and the next 6 targets as your "August" entry etc you will soon catch up as there are only 36 targets to shoot in each competition.

To enter - just contact Russ ( PhatMan here on the BBS) and he would be pleased to add you both to the competition. It costs £10 per entry for either the rifle or pistol competition, and the MPL rules are not too over-powering and can be seen here on the BBS.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....petition-Rules
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Why give up now?

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
    Rob.
    If it's a ten round shoot and you were in with a chance. Why give up?

In the Cumbria, the top shooter for the round gets 9 points. Lowest gets 1. Sometimes on a bad day you might be the second lowest. i.e. 2 points. Would you give up after that? Hopefully not.

Well that's only 2 points difference.

Man up and shoot the other rounds well.

Good luck.

Hi,

It's a points based comp with a total of 200 per round.
    I scored 173 with a pistol that was not zeroed correctly, so I can do better.
    The score is points you shoot, so I am about 170 points short that need to be made up.
    The top shooter will have to have a lot of very bad days to drop 170 odd points when his round 2 was 175!

I never said I was going to give up, but I need to find out what other options are open to us go forward.

I'll contact Phatman

Thank you

Sunbeam,

It's a points based comp with a total of 200 per round.
    I scored 173 with a pistol that was not zeroed correctly, so I can do better.
    The score is points you shoot, so I am about 170 points short that need to be made up.
    The top shooter will have to have a lot of very bad days to drop 170 odd points when his round 2 was 175!
    If that’s the case then it’s a very unusual set of rules for a “league”. Leagues are normally run in one of two ways:

As outlined above, on a round by round ranking basis, where the highest shooter in a division in each round gets a set number of points, the next score one less until the lowest score which is awarded one point. If no score is submitted, no points are awarded.

On a match play basis where you compete against another shooter in the division in each round. Points are usually awarded as 2 for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 if you lose the match. You usually shoot against each other member of the division twice in a competition with “byes” being shot against the average score for the division.

In these type of leagues your aggregate over the competition; or “gun score”; only usually comes into play if there is a drawn result on points at the end of the final round and then the highest gun score Is awarded 1st place.

What you have described is an aggregate competition shot over 10 rounds and quite unusual. If I were you I should check the rules of the competition.

Rutty

Further to my post in reply to Sunbeam:

I have looked up the rules for the Middlesex League. They certainly award a trophy for the highest aggregate, but the basis on which the league is run is a bit ambiguous. I can see how Sunbeam gained the impression that this is an aggregate competition run on a cumulative basis. If that is the case then to describe it as a “league” is something of a misnomer when it is in fact an average based aggregate competition.

Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    If that is the case then to describe it as a “league” is something of a misnomer when it is in fact an average based aggregate competition.
    I was going to post something similar to your first comment. It's very confusing to call it a league when it's basically a 200-shot match
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

So what do we do if we've missed one round?
    Is there any point in carrying on?
    Do we just hope everybody else misses at least one round like we did?
    The person that is running this match in our club says carry on, it's good practice.
    But we practice all the time anyway.

This is why I was hoping to find something we can shoot and basically start over.
    I'm totally new to comp shooting and have no idea how it all works.
    This is why I thought the Middlesex was a good start as our first comp as our club runs in it.

We are still hoping to enter the MLP.

So what do we do if we've missed one round?
    Is there any point in carrying on?
    Do we just hope everybody else misses at least one round like we did?
    The person that is running this match in our club says carry on, it's good practice.
    But we practice all the time anyway.

This is why I was hoping to find something we can shoot and basically start over.
    I'm totally new to comp shooting and have no idea how it all works.
    This is why I thought the Middlesex was a good start as our first comp as our club runs in it.

We are still hoping to enter the MLP.
    You can enter the MPL now and catch-up whenever you feel like it!

Great competition - highly recommended
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Contact made and details given.
    Hopefully be shooting the MPL very soon

Thanks.
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 07-11-2018 at 11:39 AM.