Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many collectors actually shoot their treasures?

How many collectors actually shoot their treasures?

There is joy is collecting beautiful examples of the machining art. There is also joy is shooting them. Been shooting my new to me early Webley Mark 3 and the is something that just puts a smile on your face. Got my first squirrel with it last week with one shot. Deadly accurate, compact, great open sights and a joy. How many other examples in our collections just sit in a case, or on a wall?

I do.
    But many collectors don't.

Personal choice I think.

My view is that if you don't exercise them they will fail.
    Same as classic cars.

I have a few old air rifles that are going on 100 years old now. I shoot every single one.

They way I see it is, they were made to be used so why not use them?

I keep them clean and if needed a service every now and then.

I hope in another 100 years they will still be used. Just thinking about how they brought joy to someone 100 years ago and will hopefully still bring joy to someone a 100 years from now makes me happy.

I've certainly got guns in my collection that I reach for before others but ultimately there isn't a gun there that I wouldn't pick up and use.
    Practical classics😊😊
    Dave

I don't very often these days for various reasons. But I'd say almost all of my collection is in working order or could be made so without too much effort.

I think not shooting guns in your collection is a perfectly respectable decision, especially if they're pristine. Having a near-perfect, museum-quality example is what many of us collectors aspire to after all.

If you're into shooting more than collecting for it's own sake, then by all means seek out good, usable examples and fire away.

Some, but not all, collectors seem to wear the fact that they shoot their collectables as a badge of pride. Not sure why.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I have made sure I shoot even the very rarest in my collection at least once to experience their individual qualities, but the less rarer examples are shot on a regular basis.

For me, the guns must remain fully functional, so I'm not averse to sourcing and replacing failed parts, but always make sure to keep the original broken parts with the gun for completeness.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I don't very often these days for various reasons. But I'd say almost all of my collection is in working order or could be made so without too much effort.

I think not shooting guns in your collection is a perfectly respectable decision, especially if they're pristine. Having a near-perfect, museum-quality example is what many of us collectors aspire to after all.

If you're into shooting more than collecting for it's own sake, then by all means seek out good, usable examples and fire away.

Some, but not all, collectors seem to wear the fact that they shoot their collectables as a badge of pride. Not sure why.

Understand given some of your collection but I wonder if it’s joy more than pride? Just puts a smile on my face.

I used to shoot most all of my rifles in my collection. The exception were new limited edition rifles which I wanted to keep pristine and some example were spare parts, if they broke, would be difficult or impossible to source.
    Unfortunately the dreaded 'Arthur' has put paid to my cocking springers. I can manage a shot or two but suffer for it for days afterwards. This is a real draw back when it comes to fettling them. There nothing better than bring life back to a classic springer then enjoying using it.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I haven't been out shooting for months so I normally shoot my low powered collectables at home. Like the Haenel model 45, Tell 2 and sometimes the Crosman 111.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    If they are legal to be shot, they all get shot. Pristine or otherwise.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Shoot everything. One reason I don't buy minters
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I use all of them at least once. Pristine or not! Some are not capable of firing if they haven't got a seal and it cannot be replaced. They're usually some of the oldest and rarest though. The trouble is, having so many, they don't used as much as I'd like. However I do have my favourites which get far more use that others. Even the Crosman 451s that everyone is scared incase they break.... it's on the favourite list too!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    I use all of them at least once. Pristine or not! Some are not capable of firing if they haven't got a seal and it cannot be replaced. They're usually some of the oldest and rarest though. The trouble is, having so many, they don't used as much as I'd like. However I do have my favourites which get far more use that others. Even the Crosman 451s that everyone is scared incase they break.... it's on the favourite list too!
    Be interesting to know your favorite to shoot?

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    I shot my 451, once, before I paid for it.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    I have one gun that has never been fired and never will while with me, but it's not a high value collectable, it is a quirky modern collectable: an SAA Colt 45 .177 BB Co2 pistol in nickel with faux white ivory grips.

This pistol is far from rare, and not even truly collectable, but I got it boxed and unfired, and for the first time ever, I want to keep it that way. Why? Not got a clue, it is just something I want yo do ...

Most others in my collection get used on rotation, however, although my most used collectable is my Brum built SFS tuned walnut Webley Longbow .177 (gets to come out to play at least once a fortnight, lol).

My least used collectable is my 1906 Lincoln Jefferies Mod. H .177 with shotgun stock. It shoots superbly, but I panic every time I take it out the house, so once a year on a dry sunny day is all that this old gal gets.

Fickle things we collectors, ain't we?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.