Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many collectors actually shoot their treasures?

A lot of my collectable guns weren't collectable when I bought them.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

A lot of my collectable guns weren't collectable when I bought them.
    Lol. That made me giggle.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

only one I never shoot is my VGC ( probably reblued ) webley Mk 3 Because its shite to shoot (lovely looking though )

I sold most of my collection so all that I kept aren't minters.
    As the usual minters are easily enough found as a shooter I can't see the point of shooting minters. The BNIB only really gets going in 1980 as the quality is such that they don't wear that well and mint has something special to them.

Anything 30 years old really needs to either have been regularly shot or needs certain perishables to have been changed by now. So a minter really needs a service before being fired or it could be a quick way to trash something.
    Which ones need a service because of a time perishable part is anyones guess. Should be a thread on time critical perishables.

So yes I shoot all mine now. But in truth I shoot regularly only a couple, the others fair weather only.

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    only one I never shoot is my VGC ( probably reblued ) webley Mk 3 Because its shite to shoot (lovely looking though )
    My sentiments exactly.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I bought all mine to see how by comparison antique,vintage and classic air guns shoot.......so,when I got them I shot them.

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Ouch!

I now have six in my collection, with the possibility, perhaps, of adding another two. Beyond that, I think it will be too difficult to shoot, regularly, each one and get the gist of the nuances that characterise each.

Rather than merely firing them, I also like to know how they perform at various distances, so make a point of varying the range.

Each one should be perfectly sighted and ready.

I appreciate that some here have massive collections - some exceeding 50 rifles - in which case it must be almost impossible to shoot more than a tiny selection. How that is determined is another question!

An impressive Mk3 you have there, by the way. It looks like one of the earliest. Out of interest, what sort of grouping can you manage at 25yds and what is the power delivering?

Thumbs down

I've not fired a gun in months

I daren't even get them out for a plink in the garden as some git of a neighbour phones the police and the chopper appears overhead

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I've not fired a gun in months

I daren't even get them out for a plink in the garden as some git of a neighbour phones the police and the chopper appears overhead

John
    If garfen plinking is completely out on safety grounds , then a 6yd or 10m range within the confines of your house may fit the bill nicely, John.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    An impressive Mk3 you have there, by the way. It looks like one of the earliest. Out of interest, what sort of grouping can you manage at 25yds and what is the power delivering?
    Haven’t shot that far in my backyard, it’s getting 10 FPE.

I shoot all of mine, including my Webley MK 3. It is my go to grey squirrel gun.

Sure do. The one's I have use for. For now thats the Webley mk3 ST and Osprey STs (and Walther 55T) sometimes the .22 mk3
    Maybe the ex-museum Tracker and Stingray in the future
    prototype Cobra/Sidewinder is my nr 1 gun for shoots
    ATB,
    yana

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

shoot

Every day if I can, mainly prewar, both UK and German with a bit of a post war Webley senior fetish mixed in.
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Be interesting to know your favorite to shoot?
    There's just too many to pick a single favourite.

I do like the Schimel. The Challenger Arms CO2 pistol. Oh then there's the Challenger Arms pump up rifle. The .24 cal Apache rifle is fun too! Crosman 451. Anson's Firefly. I think for me it's the vintage replicas. So yeah, the Schimel and the 451 are probably my favourites. That new Umarex SA6 though... very nice pistol! Just not vintage.