Thread: PCP maintenance

PCP maintenance

So coming from a springer background I'm thinking of adding a pcp to the collection. Just wondering what maintenance is needed on a pcp and if anything is it a diy job....or take to the gunshop job. Any advice greatly appreciated👍👍

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

If/when something starts to leak change the seals, maybe a dab of dri-slide on the bolt/sidelever, otherwise leave well alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Griftertig View Post
    So coming from a springer background I'm thinking of adding a pcp to the collection. Just wondering what maintenance is needed on a pcp and if anything is it a diy job....or take to the gunshop job. Any advice greatly appreciated👍👍
    It depends on your practical skills and the make of the air rifle, some are much easier to work on than others.

Bb

dont need to do anything much. if you hunt, clean the blueing and woodwork as soon as you get home. never leave it until tomorrow. make sure you have some charge in it. empty will knacker you if you use a pump. will keep you fit though.
    never strip it down unless absolutely necessary. even then it probably wasn't necessary.
    and get used to less recoil and noise.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

I can only speak from a couple of months owning a AA S400. Basically all that's needed is to keep it clean. Worth dropping the action out of the stock ASAP if it has been wet to ensure all the water is wiped off and the surface oiled for storage. Some like to clean the barrel regularly, other don't.

I did have occasion to clean dried grease off the hammer rail, so cleaned and re-lubed the trigger unit whilst I had it off the gun.

Certainly AA and probably most manufacturers state that the air cylinder should be inspected at least annually and they will condemn it once it's 10 years old. They also suggest that the rifle should be serviced annually. Since servicing entails stripping cleaning and replacing all the seals,I suspect that most owners ignore this until a problem arises. My own gun was manufactured in 2006 and was given to me having had little use, maybe 200 pellets. It's working fine, producing the correct power level and won't be touched until a problem arises.

Rob.

Thanks for all the responses guys

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

If/when something starts to leak change the seals, maybe a dab of dri-slide on the bolt/sidelever, otherwise leave well alone.
    Just like the bear says --a nice wipe over after use is usually all that needed and most common pcps have a ready available spares to source with ease also lots of info available via the internet on working on most your biggest outlay will be for the gun and charging equipment

never stripped any of my pcps,but often wondered how easy it is to do

I bought a spanking new theoben mfr a few years ago, I had it in bits before firing a single shot.

Bb

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    I bought a spanking new theoben mfr a few years ago, I had it in bits before firing a single shot.

Bb
    A man after my own heart .

I did the same with a ( not new ) ISP ,and an lg 400, and an ev2 ,and a steyr .

Well , they're held together with nuts and bolts, so clearly they are supposed to be taken to bits ...obvious innit .

Service

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2hook View Post
    I can only speak from a couple of months owning a AA S400. Basically all that's needed is to keep it clean. Worth dropping the action out of the stock ASAP if it has been wet to ensure all the water is wiped off and the surface oiled for storage. Some like to clean the barrel regularly, other don't.

I did have occasion to clean dried grease off the hammer rail, so cleaned and re-lubed the trigger unit whilst I had it off the gun.

Certainly AA and probably most manufacturers state that the air cylinder should be inspected at least annually and they will condemn it once it's 10 years old. They also suggest that the rifle should be serviced annually. Since servicing entails stripping cleaning and replacing all the seals,I suspect that most owners ignore this until a problem arises. My own gun was manufactured in 2006 and was given to me having had little use, maybe 200 pellets. It's working fine, producing the correct power level and won't be touched until a problem arises.

Rob.

I can understand manufacturer suggesting an annual service. "It's good business" but never seen anything about a yearly cylinder inspection. Do you have a link to this. Also to the condemn bit in ten years. Thanks.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Micky Spillane is offline reports of my death have been greatly exagerated
    I agree with the above seal, changes when it leaks and a light lube on the moving parts. Buy your seal kits from Chambers and see their exploded diagrams. Best in the business in my humble opinion.
    Drink good English Bitter beer and shoot safe,
    Micky Spillane

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    I can understand manufacturer suggesting an annual service. "It's good business" but never seen anything about a yearly cylinder inspection. Do you have a link to this. Also to the condemn bit in ten years. Thanks.
    The Air Arms owners manuals all state the cylinder should be checked every 2 or 3 years depending on usage. No mention of cylinder life. Dunno what other manufacturers say.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob2hook View Post
    Worth dropping the action out of the stock ASAP if it has been wet to ensure all the water is wiped off and the surface oiled for storage.
    Yes agreed, at the very least get the action out of the stock. I used to use one of those impregnated gun wipes after wiping dry.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.