Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger with a safety

Trigger with a safety

I am genuinely puzzled as to why Air Arms have put a push through safety catch on their air rifles.

I cannot see how puting a safety catch on the thing that will discha4ge the device is a good idea in any for....

What arguments are there for doing this ?

I dont agree with its position and if I still owned an air arms I would punch it out.

Do you see it as a good idea and why?
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

The only excuse for putting the safety catch on the trigger is because it's cheap. From a safety point of view I think it's poor, as it forces you to be fiddling with the trigger when you aren't committed to releasing a shot. It leaves a lot to be desired because it's a needlessly tacky and stupid solution - just about everybody else puts the catch in a better place and designs a linkage such that the safety either blocks or disconnects the trigger. I particularly dislike the Air Arms catch because (at least on the examples I've handled) the catch does not have a firm stop when pushed to safe. Would such a design be tolerated on a powder-burning rifle?

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    On my S400 the trigger was removed and an adjustable one fitted, so no safety button at all. I agree it is a terrible design and I never used it for fear of tripping the trigger. I used to leave the gun uncocked until I was ready to shoot.

Another flaw in safety design, the HW95 and others with the same safety. It’s in a great position and easy to reach, but, once unset it cannot be reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Another flaw in safety design, the HW95 and others with the same safety. It’s in a great position and easy to reach, but, once unset it cannot be reset.
    A pet hate of mine, and I don't see why such a safety can't (or shouldn't) be resettable - push to fire, push for safe. It can't be that difficult to engineer such a part, surely? I'd really rather a sliding tang safety as you see on many shotguns, but a resettable cross-bolt would be acceptable to me.
    Walther LGR (.177)
    Weihrauch HW77 (.22)

I feel the same about my FAC daystate pulsar which for me is the worse safety i have on all of my rifles because of its position on the trigger.

Out stalking at night its so easy to inadvertently catch the trigger when reaching for the safety especially when wearing gloves can make it a nightmare.

The only answer for me with the pulsar is to use good discipline - dont carry loaded, which we should be practising.
    FAC Airwolf .22, FAC FX Cutlas .22, Browning t Bolt 22LR, Tikka T3 223, SIG 522, Annie 1417, AI AXMC

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    You think that's bad, have you seen the safety catch on a Glock pistol?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

A Glock was what sprang to my mind too, but Savage and Mossberg also put them on their rifles, so theres obviously some reasoning behind it.

Its more of a drop safety than anything else....your finger shouldn't be near the trigger unless you're ready to fire, so the gun is safe....

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    A Glock was what sprang to my mind too, but Savage and Mossberg also put them on their rifles, so theres obviously some reasoning behind it.

Its more of a drop safety than anything else....your finger shouldn't be near the trigger unless you're ready to fire, so the gun is safe....
    Well we wouldn't want the safety to prevent the gun from firing would we?

More than one person has shot their own leg by holstering the Glock with finger (or a holster strap) inside the trigger guard. Bad discipline I know but a pants "safety" IMO - "lemme get this right - you disengage the safety catch by pressing on the extremely dangerous catch (aka trigger)? - sheesh!" .

IIRC the 1911 (or at lease some variants) have a grip safety AND a thumb safety. A thumb safety does not slow down the shooter in the least, and I believe is far safer.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

poor position

I am not comfortable with safety on or near trigger.
    KEEPING THE FAITH

I'm not comfortable with people who rely on safety catches.

I love the AA safety through the trigger,
    I struggle to see why anyone could possibly have a problem because it works by applying pressure perpendicular to the direction of trigger pull so your finger is never even near the firing position.

you would need to be improbably ham fisted, &/or have the trigger set stupidly light to have a ND.

Far more dangerous is the likes of a rapid where the safety is directly in front of the trigger blade so you need to insert your finger in to the same position as to fire the rifle in order to apply it, indeed with my mk2 sporter trigger it's even applied by pulling it back in the same direction as the trigger operation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DOGS SOULY View Post
    Im not happy with a safety catch within the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I'm not comfortable with people who rely on safety catches.
    I dont rely on them but I will use them.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I love the AA safety through the trigger,
    I struggle to see why anyone could possibly have a problem because it works by applying pressure perpendicular to the direction of trigger pull so your finger is never even near the firing position.

you would need to be improbably ham fisted, &/or have the trigger set stupidly light to have a ND.

Far more dangerous is the likes of a rapid where the safety is directly in front of the trigger blade so you need to insert your finger in to the same position as to fire the rifle in order to apply it, indeed with my mk2 sporter trigger it's even applied by pulling it back in the same direction as the trigger operation.
    Agreed!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Well we wouldn't want the safety to prevent the gun from firing would we?

More than one person has shot their own leg by holstering the Glock with finger (or a holster strap) inside the trigger guard. Bad discipline I know but a pants "safety" IMO - "lemme get this right - you disengage the safety catch by pressing on the extremely dangerous catch (aka trigger)? - sheesh!" .

IIRC the 1911 (or at lease some variants) have a grip safety AND a thumb safety. A thumb safety does not slow down the shooter in the least, and I believe is far safer.
    the Glock system allows the pistol to be used in the same way as a revolver, pull it out and shoot it, no safety to fumble with and/or forget to operate, the 1911 was built to be safely used by people who in reality probably would never use it, and were unlikely to be fully trained in its use, the fact that it has proven very popular and effective is not a product of its safety mechanisms it is because it feeds and ejects effectively and reliably. the two systems are different and each have shortcomings to some people, yet both are exceedingly popular and effective you pay your money and take your choice.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by 2DOGS SOULY View Post
    a couple of Million GI's seemed to manage quite well with the M1 safety
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby