Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting jackets/gloves etc... Can you please explain?

Shooting jackets/gloves etc... Can you please explain?

When pistol shooting, as I understand, one cannot even wear a watch on the shooting hand because it is considered an aid/support.
    So why is it that, for rifle, one can be trussed up like a guest at a bondage club?
    This is a genuine enquiry, albeit made with my tongue firmly in my cheek.
    Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Quite simply because the rules are different. In the same way that Football is played with a round ball and Rugby with an oval one.

There’s nothing to stop anyone who wishes promoting a range of competitions to be shot with basic rifles and simple clothing. Good luck by the way with writing the riles and specifications. If the discipline proves popular then it could overtake and eventually supplant the current disciplines on offer. However as there seems to be little discernible demand for such a discipline I can’t see it being a success in the short to medium term at least.

BTW Have you tried shooting a 3x40 without kit?

Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_SwampThing View Post
    When pistol shooting, as I understand, one cannot even wear a watch on the shooting hand because it is considered an aid/support.
    So why is it that, for rifle, one can be trussed up like a guest at a bondage club?
    This is a genuine enquiry, albeit made with my tongue firmly in my cheek.
    Atb
    Chris
    Chris,

As Rutty explained, jackets and gloves are part of the game, no different to lycra and carbon fibre bikes for cyclists.

Shooting jackets evolved slowly over many years. The earliest were worn to protect your clothes from dusty or muddy firing points, at a time before washing machines. Then pads were added for your elbows, and shoulder for military cartridges. Only later did the material get heavier; leather was used because it's hard wearing, but it stretches so a canvas lining was the next step.

It's important to note that rifle weight increased before heavy jackets became the norm. Jackets reduce fatigue, but that's a response to heavy rifles (0.22 Smallbore) not a cause.

Padded gloves are just a simple protection. A 14lb rifle on bare hands is not pleasant, especially when a sling is used in Prone and Kneeling.

Special supportive Pistol vests were used in the' 70s and '80s, but I believe came on the scene quite suddenly, rather than slowly evolving, so were banned.

Thank you both.
    Cheers
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Two years ago I started wearing a jacket. Almost no improvement in average but no back ache. Following year made a new alloy stock to the new rules to replace the wood one and improved by 7%

What amazes me is that jeans are banned in pistol comps at Bisley, not that I have ever qualified to compete there.

Bizzers

Quote Originally Posted by TenMetrePeter View Post
    Two years ago I started wearing a jacket. Almost no improvement in average but no back ache. Following year made a new alloy stock to the new rules to replace the wood one and improved by 7%

What amazes me is that jeans are banned in pistol comps at Bisley, not that I have ever qualified to compete there.
    I have shot pistol competitions at Bisley wearing jeans and normal shoes.
    However I didn't win.

Its probably a dress code thing

Some posh pubs are like that too!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Its probably a dress code thing

Some posh pubs are like that too!
    It's an ISSF rule applied for certain matches. The rule is a rather misguided attempt to make the sport appear more sporty at Olympic level, where there might be TV cameras.

Jeans are perfectly welcome at the NSRA Bisley meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    The rule is a rather misguided attempt to make the sport appear more sporty at Olympic level, where there might be TV cameras.

Again- just like some pubs I know - they call them "sports bars"

They will be insisting on wearing ties next
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    It's an ISSF rule applied for certain matches. The rule is a rather misguided attempt to make the sport appear more sporty at Olympic level, where there might be TV cameras.

As Tim says there is NO "No jeans" rule at Bisley, they have enough problems getting the target systems to work! It is a classic piece of pretentiousness from some senior people on the ISSF, and disagreed with by many international associations, who generally exclude that rule from their meetings. I know one where all the officials wear jeans with blazers and ties, to wind up the ISSF? surely not! The same section of ISSF rules covers other "inappropriate" dress, such as shorts shorter than the middle of the knee, bare feet, or socks only, sandals, even when shooting prone, and torn trousers, and actually if you read it carefully even cargo type pants, and jeans type trousers, and inappropriate logo Tee shirts, that's a minefield, and a challenge to double meaning logo's!!!

One International federation, followed by a second, just to wind up the ISSF made jeans their international uniform! Aaaarrgh! heart attacks in Munich!

Fun game this!
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

... jackets and gloves are part of the game, no different to lycra and carbon fibre bikes for cycling...
    Not sure which one makes me feel more embarrassed for the wearer, Gimp jacket or Lycra....on middle aged overweight men both look ridiculous
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Quote Originally Posted by Lol Moore View Post
    Not sure which one makes me feel more embarrassed for the wearer, Gimp jacket or Lycra....on middle aged overweight men both look ridiculous
    It's not a fashion parade.

You forgot to mention the silly specs.

One of my friends was challenged 2 years ago in the NSRA Eley air pistol round 3 (Bisley final) for wearing jeans. He was allowed to continue after the official looked at his average. Presumably no chance of winning was the criterion. Depends who is running it I guess.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    One of my friends was challenged 2 years ago in the NSRA Eley air pistol round 3 (Bisley final) for wearing jeans. He was allowed to continue after the official looked at his average. Presumably no chance of winning was the criterion. Depends who is running it I guess.
    That would have been one official who overstepped the mark and exceeded his authority, the concern now is getting people to enter not turning them away.

As for the gear, if you don't want to wear it don't, it protects and its part of the sport, the deliberately intended insulting comments from those with no knowledge or expertise would be better placed supporting our sport.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

As others have adequately answered, it is the inevitable refinement of traditional techniques. One of those "historical reasons" cases.

Two-stage slings (common on military rifles past WW2) gave way to single-point slings, people's "shooting jacket" (which was the one they didn't mind getting mucky on a muddy grass firing point) eventually developed a keeper on the shoulder to retain the sling, and went on to develop elbow pads, the construction moved to leather and canvas, etc to the brightly coloured things you see today.

Other disciplines such as NSRA Lightweight Sport Rifle or NRA Gallery Rifle offer a more "barebones" alternative. Something for everybody

In terms of jeans/denim. There is NO prohibition on jeans "at Bisley". Athletes shooting in an ISSF-rules Match (which will most likely be .22/air in the Lord Roberts Centre, although also ISSF Shotgun on the NCSC layouts) may find themselves receiving an advisory to the fact that jeans are illegal under ISSF rules - their heavy-handed and largely misguided attempt to make the sport look "professional" and more athletic for the media. This rule does not of course apply to non-competitors, spectators, or even competitors when off the firing point and "out of competition" or anywhere else on Bisley in non-ISSF competitions (NRA/NSRA/CPSA/<other> rules).
    Last edited by Hemmers; 20-11-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation