Thread: Diana Model 50 the Begining and the End

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Diana Model 50 the Begining and the End

Early this year I bought one of the earliest Diana 50s: early 1950’s. Just picked up the last Model made, 50 T01 in a pretty rare parkerized variant. Came today and it’s about like new. Hadn’t been shoot since the 1980’s so I had to take it apart and relube everything to get it working. I always thought the 50 had a military look and this model really added to that theme. Parkerized, military front winged sight, low gloss military stock finish, and strap swivel. I love the retro old school back sight. It has the massive feel of a military rifle. The person I bought it from bought a Diana Diopter back sight with it. Don’t know that I will use it but looks like a quality unit that fits on the rail. The Model 50’s during their long lifespan shared power units with the Diana 35, these last ones used the 45 power unit and lengthen the cocking level beyond the stock. Should increase the power over my old one. Chrony is tomorrow after the leather seal soaks up some oil. These were never upgraded to new modern seals, ok with me, I like old school leather, they always seem to last forever for me.

https://imgur.com/a/l15sUtD
    Last edited by 45flint; 09-11-2018 at 02:41 AM.

Give us a comparison test, old chap!

I think the 50 actually came out in 1952, with the post-war 35 emerging a year later in 53.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Give us a comparison test, old chap!

I think the 50 actually came out in 1952, with the post-war 35 emerging a year later in 53.
    Maybe best to say they shared power systems?

Your Parkerized 50 looks nice, and mint. The stock looks the usual Typ 01 pattern but without the pressed panels on trigger grip. The open sights are highly unusual but suit it to my eyes. The diopter looks like a Diopter 75.
    What date stamp is on the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Your Parkerized 50 looks nice, and mint. The stock looks the usual Typ 01 pattern but without the pressed panels on trigger grip. The open sights are highly unusual but suit it to my eyes. The diopter looks like a Diopter 75.
    What date stamp is on the gun?
    Interesting the gun is as new so there is no wear on the date stamp but I think the parkerized finish made it difficult for the stamping to adhere? I know it’s November but only a hint of the year? 1983? (Probably right the 50 T1 in the Vintage Gallery is dated July of 1983). 35 years old no wonder the grease in the tap dried out and froze it.

Yes the Diopter is the one used on the 75. He bought it separately at the time and that made the deal a little sweeter cause these are not cheap and its brand new. Not sure it fits the military theme of the rifle but doesn’t look out of place either?

Last edited by 45flint; 09-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Thumbs up

Both those are beauties Flint

I think I have four mod 50's plus a Type 01, Two and a half mod45's and a couple of 35's, Have to say that they're fabulous guns if a bit of a sod to rebuild (The three ball sear type are anyhow!!)

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Even with the contrasting finish, the diopter suits your 50. Not as much as its open sights though. A friend of mine bought a nice standard Typ 01 a few years ago. It is mint and it was a real struggle to move the tap lever at first. A drop of oil and a bit of patience sorted that. Yours should be the same.
    I hope to read results of your experiences with it after some range time.