Thread: Webley senior prewar age

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

Webley senior prewar age

Picked up a prewar senior. Serial number S16940 - is anyone able to date this please? I do have Bruce's Book, but it doesn't seem to have serial numbers in it. all the best, Paul.
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through

I have got Senior serial 18999 which is probably the last produced. Bruce stated that roughly 12.000 were made in the 4 years preceding the war (1935-1939) starting at 7000. Derived from this I estimate that yours (16940) was produced in month 39 after Jan 1935 or March 1939.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have got Senior serial 18999 which is probably the last produced. Bruce stated that roughly 12.000 were made in the 4 years preceding the war (1935-1939) starting at 7000. Derived from this I estimate that yours (16940) was produced in month 39 after Jan 1935 or March 1939.
    Hello Dutch, what a turn up, I have S19000, all intact but not usable, piston tube cracked.

Waaat you hold the last of its kind then!!

Waaat you hold the last of its kind then!!
    Apparently according to the book, picked it up locally, didn't realise the significance of the serial number till I saw it in the book, could be last one, who knows.

I thought S19000 was the last serial number known for a while but since then a couple of slightly higher higher numbers in the 19000 range have come to light. John Atkins mentioned one in his recent multi part series on the Webley Senior in Airgunner and another collector told me about another pistol he had come across, which is also in the S19000 range.

I doubt we'll find many much higher than that though.

John

Thnx John, a bit wiser now, unfortunate for our remarkable serials as it did kinda popped the magic, hhh.

Thnx John, a bit wiser now, unfortunate for our remarkable serials as it did kinda popped the magic, hhh.
    That would have been too easy Dutch!

I had a feeling it was too neat to be true.

Kind regards,

John

I am trying to understand the evolution of these very late pre war/early post war Seniors.

To that end I would be grateful if you could indicate please whether:

18999 has the knurling to the barrel - or not?

Whether the grips are both impressed Webley - or only one?

If there is a box, if the 45/- is visible, or covered with some kind of sticker?

Many thanks.

The 18999 has both oldstyle grips. Barrel has no knurling but has a new type cocking slider, endcap has 'not to be removed' stamped without retainer screw. No box, but according to the former owner all original. So only the cocking slider and the endcap (older one has a retainer screw) deviates from another prewar Senior I own. Serial is in the 9000. Try to upload couple of pics during the week
    Last edited by Dutch; 13-11-2018 at 01:04 PM.

The 18999 has both oldstyle grips. Barrel has no knurling but has a new type cocking slider. No box, but according to the former owner all original. So only the cocking slider deviates from another prewar Senior I own. Serial is in the 9000. Try to upload couple of pics during the week

That's very helpful, thanks very much.

Is there anyone else out there who owns a pre war Webley Senior with a serial number HIGHER than S.19000 - thanks in anticipation!

Another difference I found with the older serial was the endcap, which on the later one has 'not to be removed' stamped on it and no longer has an endcap retainer screw. Amended earlier post.