Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best lubricant for pellet taps?

Is silicone an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Is silicone an issue?
    Yes, silicone grease is great for synthetics, and synthetics when they contact metal. But put between metal surfaces it grinds and causes galling.
    If I have the chemistry rumours right, it contains silicate, which can be compared to fine grained sand.
    I tried it on a tracker tap before I knew better, and that really felt bad, and the tap now has a more grey and dull than polished finish.
    Used silicone grease on some Co2 and PCP bolts for a while as well, they became very sticky and stiff, and the aluminium breech on a co2 pistol was worn down fast.
    Now I use Jim Maccaris Clear tar for these applications, which I belive is a teflon containing synthetic grease of some sort.
    Last edited by evert; 30-11-2018 at 10:01 PM.

I believe Kilopoise contains no silicone?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I believe Kilopoise contains no silicone?
    Would be interesting to know... I get really confused by these grease products. Some are claimed to be silicone combined with molybdenum sulfide, and therefore have better metal lubrication properties than silicone greases.
    I have been frustrated by tap lubrication for a while, and also by the problem of finding suitable lubricants for several airgun applications.
    On diving bottles and PCP charging equipment we are told to use plain silicone grease to lubricate seals, to avoid harmful ignition and combustion of ordinary lubricants. In my ignorance I smeared this divers silicone grease on the threads of diving bottle couplers, and the resulting friction is bad. To me that is another hint that silicone between metals is very bad.
    Found an old discussion on the topic of PCP-lubrication with silicone greases. While not directly the same, it deals with some of the same issues as tap loading, combustion from pressure and lubrication between metal parts:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....L-DAMAGE-Part2

I have ended up with accepting a small amount of combustion on my tap loaders...

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Would be interesting to know...
    Cough --- the last line of the specifications :-

image.jpg

Does not contain Silicone.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Are you sure gas tap grease is not silicone grease?

I am sure that not all gas tap greases are the same, but they are all intended to provide a gas tight seal in a taper valve which is similar in materials, form and function to the pellet tap.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL