Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring(y) Airgun World

Smile Spring(y) Airgun World

BOING!

Oh yes. The March issue landed today. As well as lots of the usual good stuff from Terry and the team, this issue has lots of boingery goodness for us springer fans:-

Firstly, one for our Pete and a reader's HW35 restoration job.

There's a double-whammy-boingery duo from John Milewski - the third instalment on the Scorpion pistol and a very rare magazine fed Original Model 25.

Our Pete (with hands!) has left those pesky PCPs behind and has done an excellent looking article on the endearing Tempest with a strip down article coming next time.

And The Lord of the Springs has penned his usual words of wisdom on a subject that is often asked - whether to hone, cross-hatch or rough up cylinders and polishing of cylinders and pistons etc.

Can't wait to get properly stuck into the content.

BOING!!!!!!!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

look forward to getting mine

Waiting for mine to arrive too!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Can't wait not to get one

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Awww, don't be like that, Pete.

Treat yourself to a copy. Sure you'd enjoy it. You don't have to read or look at the pictures in that article.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Yep good helping of spring action. I think Jim's piece on cylinders is particularly helpful for the dirty finger nail brigade.

The March issue has the feel of a classic 1980s edition of AGW, with both the Tempest and Scorpion air pistols featured.

I thoroughly enjoyed Pete's overview of the Tempest and would love to have visited the Barber shop he mentions. It reminds me of the undertakers I used to buy pellets from!

John M

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The March issue has the feel of a classic 1980s edition of AGW, with both the Tempest and Scorpion air pistols featured.

I thoroughly enjoyed Pete's overview of the Tempest and would love to have visited the Barber shop he mentions. It reminds me of the undertakers I used to buy pellets from!

John M
    You're dead right there John, Scorps and Tempests were a way of life back then.
    I believe that barbers set many youngsters onto airguns which was no bad thing. I vividly remember Lloyd, the barber, asking we everytime i went there, "Any rabbits on the farm with you?"
    Ironically many years iater, it briefly became a gunshop again and they were selling off "old" bits and pieces that were hanging around. There was a box on the counter filled with new BSA target holders for £1

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    You're dead right there John, Scorps and Tempests were a way of life back then.
    I believe that barbers set many youngsters onto airguns which was no bad thing. I vividly remember Lloyd, the barber, asking we everytime i went there, "Any rabbits on the farm with you?"
    Ironically many years iater, it briefly became a gunshop again and they were selling off "old" bits and pieces that were hanging around. There was a box on the counter filled with new BSA target holders for £1
    That sounds like a welcome change from "something for the weekend sir?"

Incidentally Woody's of Wembley had multiple packs of coloured BSA targets when I visited the shop over Christmas. They were being sold in bundles rather than in their original blue packs so may be reprints but are of excellent quality. I bought several for future BSA tests.

Kind regards,

John M

I only managed a very quick read last night as we had a 21st birthday party to go to.

Read Terry's editorial and Jim's piece. Although I knew Jim's article would be the usual excellent and informative piece, I really think it's a must read for any springer tinkerer.

Can't wait, as ever, to read your instalments, John and Pete.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Good read; Jim's "if it ain't broke..." is the perfect antidote to all the craziness I see. Nice article on John Whiscome too.

One downside.. anyone notice the slightly worrying "error" in Russ's wildcat article ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Nice article on John Whiscome too.

I agree Jon. Although I bumped into John during FT shoots during the late 90s, I never really knew him. After reading Terry's incredibly eloquent obituary, I turned the page with a feeling of having a personal insight into the legend that was John Whiscombe, which I guess is the mark of a properly written and worded obituary.

Sad also to hear that classic contributor Geoff Boxall is no longer with us as well as Tom Walton.

John M

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Good read; Jim's "if it ain't broke..." is the perfect antidote to all the craziness I see.
    Yep, that mantra goes ties in well with much of my thinking.

But then one factor that limits my tinkering is lack of time, some of the equipment needed and a lack of bottle for fear of wrecking things. Unless any thing's broken, a strip, de-burr, degrease and lube is all I ever do plus some correctly fitting guides & top hat, or a kit, are about my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I agree Jon. Although I bumped into John during FT shoots during the late 90s, I never really knew him. After reading Terry's incredibly eloquent obituary, I turned the page with a feeling of having a personal insight into the legend that was John Whiscombe, which I guess is the mark of a properly written and worded obituary.

Sad also to hear that classic contributor Geoff Boxall is no longer with us as well as Tom Walton.

John M
    Yes, a triple whammy of sadness there. I didn't know of Tom. John we knew about on here. And I'll look forward to reading Terry's obituary.

Geoff Boxall. I didn't know of his passing. But his articles in those early days of Airgun World were read and absorbed many times over by this teenager and I particularly liked the tests combined with strip down information. A big influence in my formative airgunning years.

Great losses all.

Geoff Boxall

His review on certain new HW's made me buy a HW80 and a HW77 back in the day. RIP GB. Mach 1.5